Miss the glowing Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mac-jam, May 26, 2015.

1. mac-jam macrumors newbie

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Definitely not me.
    I actually hated it glowing in the dark room when I don't want to attract attention, etc. I'm happy with non-LED glowing Apple Logo.

3. Zxxv macrumors 68040

4. crucius macrumors regular

I miss it kind of habit. I agree with seong, I don't like to attract attention (though with the new Macbook, even without the Apple glowing, one definitely attracts attention)

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

This.

How can I miss something I never see? The only time I see the logo my laptop is powered off or closed.

In this respect, the change is great, as it obviously makes it feel more premium to have a shiny metal inlaid logo than a thin, translucent plastic insert logo?

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

i cold understand this concept if i saw the glowing apple logo... Thats like putting the glowing apple logo on the back of the imac. While youd never see it, it would be a nice touch.

7. BoneHead001 macrumors 6502

8. rekhyt macrumors 65816

No.

However... I'm glad the letters ("MacBook") below the display have returned. They got removed for the rMBP 13"/15".

9. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

Am kind of indifferent. I liked the glowing apple but am inclined to think a nice shiny metal apple will be better particularly since as we all accept we never really saw the glowing Apple as users.

Am more looking forward to having a glowing keyboard since my current MB is one of the first aluminium unibody MacBooks - the model before they had illuminated keyboards. That has always annoyed me much more when using in dark though not massively since I touch type.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. French River macrumors member

Don't miss it. It always struck me as a bit garish.

12. rezok macrumors newbie

Not really too fussed.

Tempted to get one of those funky stickers that sit around the Apple logo too - maybe!

13. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Don't miss it. It doesn't serve to add anything to the user's experience. All it does is say to everyone within eyesight, "Look at me, I own a Mac!" It's a hipster thing, IMO.

14. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

That change honestly really surprised me. I like the clean look of the Retina models without it, but I can see the need to differentiate now that they're selling three models again.

15. Dayv macrumors 6502

I was surprised that they removed it, it's become a quietly iconic part of their laptop marketing, especially with movie/TV product placement, but I don't miss it. It always seemed like it was more for the world looking at the user, not serving the user in any way.

16. micqo macrumors member

Well, not much. New logo is good. I am afraid now just scratches. Logo is sensitive to scratches , and would be very unpleasant to look at them at all times.

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Good riddance. It allowed the bezel to get smaller, the text was distracting, and the truth is I don't need to be reminded the name of my laptop every time I use it.

On the MacBook it's a little better than it used to be, but still somewhat annoying.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

No reason that the Apple could not have been lit. I would have preferred it to be lit.

19. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I always that it was tacky as hell. It serves no purpose other than "look at me, I have a Mac"

20. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

I believe that the lid would've had to have been thicker to accommodate a translucent, plastic logo. The MacBook's ultra-slim form factor prohibited this.

Agreed. It's for hipsters in coffee shops.

21. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I don't own a rMB 12" but i've played with the gold model extensively at bestbuy and I am extremely fond of the lack of led in it. It seems more seamless and subtle. I'm sure it also gives them a little bit of space to use elsewhere.

22. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I don't like the new finish, I liked the glowing apple better. I had hoped that it would come to iPads and iPhones as some sort of notification system. I guess that won't happen now.

23. Adolf macrumors member

Glowing Macbook logo

I am glad the logo is gone this should result better battery life spec performance because no power to drive the logo.

24. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I'm glad to see it go as well. However, no extra light source was used. The screen backlight illuminated the logo.

25. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Either poor attempt at trolling or you genuinely didn't know the logo cut-out was simply lit by the panel display.