Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crucius

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Portugal
I miss it kind of habit. I agree with seong, I don't like to attract attention (though with the new Macbook, even without the Apple glowing, one definitely attracts attention)

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
how the heck would I know?

This.

How can I miss something I never see? The only time I see the logo my laptop is powered off or closed.

In this respect, the change is great, as it obviously makes it feel more premium to have a shiny metal inlaid logo than a thin, translucent plastic insert logo?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
i cold understand this concept if i saw the glowing apple logo... Thats like putting the glowing apple logo on the back of the imac. While youd never see it, it would be a nice touch.

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Am kind of indifferent. I liked the glowing apple but am inclined to think a nice shiny metal apple will be better particularly since as we all accept we never really saw the glowing Apple as users.

Am more looking forward to having a glowing keyboard since my current MB is one of the first aluminium unibody MacBooks - the model before they had illuminated keyboards. That has always annoyed me much more when using in dark though not massively since I touch type.

rezok

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
Not really too fussed.

Tempted to get one of those funky stickers that sit around the Apple logo too - maybe!

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Don't miss it. It doesn't serve to add anything to the user's experience. All it does is say to everyone within eyesight, "Look at me, I own a Mac!" It's a hipster thing, IMO.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
No.

However... I'm glad the letters ("MacBook") below the display have returned. They got removed for the rMBP 13"/15".

That change honestly really surprised me. I like the clean look of the Retina models without it, but I can see the need to differentiate now that they're selling three models again.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
I was surprised that they removed it, it's become a quietly iconic part of their laptop marketing, especially with movie/TV product placement, but I don't miss it. It always seemed like it was more for the world looking at the user, not serving the user in any way.

micqo

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Well, not much. New logo is good. I am afraid now just scratches. Logo is sensitive to scratches , and would be very unpleasant to look at them at all times.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
No.

However... I'm glad the letters ("MacBook") below the display have returned. They got removed for the rMBP 13"/15".

Good riddance. It allowed the bezel to get smaller, the text was distracting, and the truth is I don't need to be reminded the name of my laptop every time I use it.

On the MacBook it's a little better than it used to be, but still somewhat annoying.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No reason that the Apple could not have been lit. I would have preferred it to be lit.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
No reason that the Apple could not have been lit. I would have preferred it to be lit.

I believe that the lid would've had to have been thicker to accommodate a translucent, plastic logo. The MacBook's ultra-slim form factor prohibited this.

I always that it was tacky as hell. It serves no purpose other than "look at me, I have a Mac"

Agreed. It's for hipsters in coffee shops.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I don't own a rMB 12" but i've played with the gold model extensively at bestbuy and I am extremely fond of the lack of led in it. It seems more seamless and subtle. I'm sure it also gives them a little bit of space to use elsewhere.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I don't like the new finish, I liked the glowing apple better. I had hoped that it would come to iPads and iPhones as some sort of notification system. I guess that won't happen now.

Reactions: Melrose

Adolf

Suspended
May 25, 2015
Glowing Macbook logo

I am glad the logo is gone this should result better battery life spec performance because no power to drive the logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.