MLB 2019 Season Thread

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Spring training is upon us and it's time for another exciting year of baseball.

Will the Red Sox defend their title, where will Harper and Machado end up? Let's get ready to play ball!

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Spring training is upon us and it's time for another exciting year of baseball.

Will the Red Sox defend their title, where will Harper and Machado end up? Let's get ready to play ball!
Don't have much hope for my Texas Rangers. Last season at the current ballpark before the big move to the new Globe Life Field (with artificial turf).

Question: as I am trying to reduce my hours in front of a screen and most especially my hours in front of clickbait and such, what is the best way to follow baseball's season in written form?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't have much hope for my Texas Rangers. Last season at the current ballpark before the big move to the new Globe Life Field (with artificial turf).

Question: as I am trying to reduce my hours in front of a screen and most especially my hours in front of clickbait and such, what is the best way to follow baseball's season in written form?
I follow all of the Yankee writers on Twitter. Get more snark than you would in their written articles.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Manny Machado has reportedly signed a 10 year $300 million deal with.... The Padres.

tkukoc

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Wish I Was In Space!
Manny Machado has reportedly signed a 10 year $300 million deal with.... The Padres.
Wow, that's crazy! I would have just got straight for Harper then. He's good, he's not that good. Totally my opinion, not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here. As for teams.. I watch a random assortment of Braves/Brewers/Cubs/Cardinals and Nationals. Favorite player is Strasburg.. not that he's exactly the cream of the crop these days but I still enjoy watching his starts. No clue who will win the World Series this year. Was a bit shocked the Red Soxs won last year, didn't really see them doing much at all. Would be nice to see a random team win.. like the Brewers. And that's just because to me it would be fun to see an underdog take it. Someone completely written off.. Colorado? Alright, maybe that's too far. o_O

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Honestly I think both players are even but I would rather have Machado's defense. That said I can't see him being happy in San Diego, he want solely for the money nothing else. I can't see him winning there anytime soon. The contract is way too much, it will be just like the others, dead weight in years 7-10.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I am willing to bet it is a shorter time frame. I think the Dodgers were done with him after a few months. He reminds me of one of those players who can be very cancerous to a team if they are not careful.
I think that is the reason he didn't get many offers.

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Honestly I think both players are even but I would rather have Machado's defense.
According to this study, defense might not be that important.
"
Strikeouts and home runs are putting a considerable damper on the number of batted balls put in play, which were down 14.5 percent last season compared with 1980. Since 1998, when the game expanded to 30 teams, there’s been an 8.8 percent decline, and the decline was 7.8 percent since 2008. The trend is expected to continue again this season."
This means that individual defensive efforts are becoming less and less involved in the outcome of games. For example, the combined assists and putouts of shortstops have declined by 13 percent since 2007, from 21,495 in 2007 to a projected mark of around 19,000 this season. Second basemen saw 23,704 combined chances in 2007 compared with 21,057 last season. Center fielders caught 12,829 fly balls in 2007. They grabbed 11,437 last season.
If there are fewer defensive chances available, teams can make the argument that it’s more valuable to chase runs, particularly in an era of launch angle, juiced balls and smaller stadiums."

However, here they also make a case for Machado's payday.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Phillies owner just landed in Vegas, where you know who is...

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This will deal will definitely have an impact on the Rockies and future dealings with Nolen Aranado. Aranado signed a record arbitration deal for $26 million, but he is going to want a long term deal for Machado type money after this season. The Rockies have never signed a player to that kind of deal, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Fansided has predicted an 8 year, $260 million deal that would average $32.5M per year.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Surprised they signed him this soon.
Everyone in Denver was as well. Since they had just agreed to a 1-year deal to avoid arbitration, everyone thought at a minimum they would wait until after the Bryce Harper deal. A lot of folks were worried because the Monforts aren't known for inking big contracts and thought maybe they would trade him. Some speculation that he might be wearing Yankee pinstripes soon.

But you don't improve your team by trading your best players and he has always been a Rocky and the face of the franchise in recent years.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Everyone in Denver was as well. Since they had just agreed to a 1-year deal to avoid arbitration, everyone thought at a minimum they would wait until after the Bryce Harper deal. A lot of folks were worried because the Monforts aren't known for inking big contracts and thought maybe they would trade him. Some speculation that he might be wearing Yankee pinstripes soon.

But you don't improve your team by trading your best players and he has always been a Rocky and the face of the franchise in recent years.
The rumors were that the Yankees wanted Arenado more than Machado.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
The rumors were that the Yankees wanted Arenado more than Machado.
That is exactly why everyone was worried here that he would be wearing Yankee pinstripes. Monforts have don't have a reputation for these kinds of deals and keeping players around when their prices go up. We figured they would tempted to trade for a haul rather than ink a big payday.

Dodgers were another team that allegedly had an interest in Arenado.

Reactions: MacNut

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That is exactly why everyone was worried here that he would be wearing Yankee pinstripes. Monforts have don't have a reputation for these kinds of deals and keeping players around when their prices go up. We figured they would tempted to trade for a haul rather than ink a big payday.

Dodgers were another team that allegedly had an interest in Arenado.
What are his numbers home and away, Coors Field is known as a hitters park.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I think the Padres got desperate with Machado... Owners were holding strong refusing to hand out these really long contracts. Padres ruined it for everyone, I'm sure they pissed a few people off.... Let's see if the Phillies or another team cave with Harper.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think the Padres got desperate with Machado... Owners were holding strong refusing to hand out these really long contracts. Padres ruined it for everyone, I'm sure they pissed a few people off.... Let's see if the Phillies or another team cave with Harper.
Harper doesn't want to go to Philly, I think he would rather go to the Dodgers. But would he take a 5 year deal?

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Harper doesn't want to go to Philly, I think he would rather go to the Dodgers. But would he take a 5 year deal?
That makes sense, if he would have wanted Philly they would have signed him already, they have shown the most interest so far. I imagine he is hesitant to take a 5 year deal now that he saw Machado get 10.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That makes sense, if he would have wanted Philly they would have signed him already, they have shown the most interest so far. I imagine he is hesitant to take a 5 year deal now that he saw Machado get 10.
Harper could get more money with a 5 year deal and re-up again.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Harper could get more money with a 5 year deal and re-up again.
So can Machado if he wanted to... he has a player opt-out option after 5 years.... So he has the security of a 10 yr contract in case he gets hurt or isn't producing... and he can get out of the contract after 5 years if he is doing well and doesn't like the direction the team is heading in.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.