Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Bumgarner pitched a no hitter that didn't count.

That is 100% horse$#!^.

Either start counting them as real games or do away with them.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Random thoughts:

Tony LaRussa did not know he could have the last batter from the 9th as the runner on second base to start the Sox' half of the 10th. Old guy, new rule. From watching a game, I learned that if the batter who made that last out is then removed from the game, you're allowed to use the previous batter to start your 10th inning on second. I hadn't thought about that scenario. I suppose you could also use the player who is going to be placed in the removed player's spot in the lineup, most likely a pitcher.

I looked up what the fewest number of pitches is for a complete game. The record is 58, set in 1944. Greg Maddux is, I think, 7th on that list, in a game he pitched for the Braves at Wrigley.

Someone had a "factoid" in the questions that pop up after a search about the fewest number of pitches possible in a complete game. This is entirely theoretical, not at all probable. The answer is 9, yes, nine!

Here's the (incomplete) explanation (my summary):
1st pitch: triple
before the next pitch, runner attempts to steal home
2nd batter interferes with the catcher: 1st out
1st batter/runner is declared out also

That's where it stopped, and I couldn't click on anything to show me the rest. I figure that the only way to get the third out without a pitch being thrown is if the 4th batter (or later) then comes up to bat out of order. He's out. Edit: Not true. Correct batter can enter the game and inherit the count. So, I’m not sure how a third out would be called.

Of course, to duplicate this for 9 straight innings is impossible. As I said, it's just theoretical. Now, the answer in a less mind-bending scenario would be 27 pitches. That would require every batter to swing at the first pitch, unless he was hit by it. No one could get a hit or be hit by a pitch after there were two outs. After every hit (or hit batter), the next batter would have to hit into a double play. Errors are also only allowed with less than two outs, and the subsequent double play could take several forms, depending on where the previous batter stopped on the base path. With the new intentional walk rule, you could (theoretically) have only 2 pitches per inning, 9 double plays, and only 18 pitches.

But only 58 pitches! That's just barely over an average of 2 pitches per batter! Why did those guys keep swinging??

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rneglia

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
What is MLB celebrating this weekend with the Camo hats? Memorial Day is two weeks from now and watching the games no one is actually talking about why they are wearing camo hats.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
What is MLB celebrating this weekend with the Camo hats? Memorial Day is two weeks from now and watching the games no one is actually talking about why they are wearing camo hats.
That was my first thought as well. My second: hat looks kind of dumb with road uniforms, ok with the home whites. Then I heard it was Armed Forces Day (not during a game broadcast). On Memorial Day, at least one team should have camo jerseys too. [Dang Auto-Correct! It took awhile to fix "camo". Ugh!]

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Injury bug is biting HARD this year.

The Mets have JD Davis (hand), Brandon Nimmo (finger), Michael Conforto (hamstring), Jeff McNeil (hamstring) and Luis Guillorme on the IL now, adding to Syndergaard (Tommy John surgery), Carrasco (hamstring) and Lugo (elbow "clean out" surgery) that were there to start the season.

I live 2 hours from Syracuse, my dad and I have discussed going to see the Syracuse Mets but at this point they're more of a AA team than a AAA team with the main club taking so many to re-stock the roster!

EDIT: I forgot deGrom, with right side tightness, and now Walker had to leave the game with left side tightness...
EDIT 2: and now Kevin Pillar is hit in the face with a pitch. They're running out of players, and they had a deep bench!

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What a story for Corey Kluber. It was in doubt just 2 years ago whether he’d ever pitch at a competitive level ever again due to injuries. He just pitched a no hitter.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
Some big stories so far in the MLB season. Where do y'all come down on the Tony La Russa/Yermin Mercedes swinging on a 3-0 pitch debate?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Some big stories so far in the MLB season. Where do y'all come down on the Tony La Russa/Yermin Mercedes swinging on a 3-0 pitch debate?
La Russa is an ass. As for the swing, to me he is paid to hit home runs. There are no mercy rules in MLB. This isn't little league. Now if you want to talk to a player, do it in private not to the media.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
A lot of baseball's unwritten rules are stupid. But they are a part of the game. I guess it depends on how much you buy into them.

LaRussa has always been arrogant, but as a winner and smart guy (JD, and passed the Bar), he could get away with it. But his stance regarding McGwire is harder to defend, and is clearly influenced by their personal relationship, versus a more objective, detached consideration of the circumstances.

With 1/4 of the season complete, who was expecting that San Francisco would have the best winning % in baseball?

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
A lot of baseball's unwritten rules are stupid. But they are a part of the game. I guess it depends on how much you buy into them.

LaRussa has always been arrogant, but as a winner and smart guy (JD, and passed the Bar), he could get away with it. But his stance regarding McGwire is harder to defend, and is clearly influenced by their personal relationship, versus a more objective, detached consideration of the circumstances.

With 1/4 of the season complete, who was expecting that San Francisco would have the best winning % in baseball?

I feel like La Russa has always been an overrated manager, and especially now the game has really passed him by. For all the great A's and Cardinals teams he managed, he should have done far better in the postseason.

No, I definitely did not expect this from the Giants so far this season. I thought last season's good run was a bit of a fluke, but their reconstituted starting pitching staff has been largely amazing. I figured Buster Posey would be rejuvenated by a year off, but not this much. Hope they can keep it going — they certainly have the stiffest possible competition in their own division.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
they certainly have the stiffest possible competition in their own division.
A lot of people thought the NL East was going to be the strongest division. Boy were they wrong. Rather than a fight to see who wins the most games, it's more like a fight to see who loses the fewest!

Side note - the Mets may have another IL-bound player, Pete Alonso. Awaiting MRI results on his wrist. I'd been seeing a wrap on his wrist the last few games but nobody had said anything about it, including the usually-observant TV broadcasters. He was held out of the lineup on Wed. and was bypassed for a pinch-hit opportunity which raised some questions, then he went for X-ray and now MRI...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The AL east is a lot tighter than I expected. Besides Baltimore everyone is a game apart.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Ugh, 2 more to the IL for the Mets - Alonso (hand) and Hunter (back, must have hurt it running the bases the other night). That makes 16 on the IL, only TWO guys in the lineup tonight were in the opening day lineup (Smith and Lindor)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.