MMORPGs for OSX

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Dixii, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Dixii macrumors newbie

Dixii

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum and would like to ask you if you know any good MMORPGs I can play on the mac.

Thanks! :p

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

There's Eve online and guild wars but I don't know if guild wars is for mac.

ChrisN

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

It isn't, but it can (obviously) be ran in Windows on your Mac via bootcamp.

4. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It doesn't, in OS X. Boot Camp it and it will run like any other PC.

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Performance-wise, it'll run fine. But like Tallest Skil said, it won't run in OS X. It's an old game, with low specs, so you won't have any problems.

7. Ctown macrumors newbie

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There is Minions of Mirth a MMO with no monthly fees but I would not call it all that good and it is available for the Mac.

9. mynameisadam macrumors member

mynameisadam

there are no great rps out there except WoW and eve both in which you need to pay other than that you need bootcamp : S.

btw dont use crossfire, it gives you delay and deduction in graphics and performance.

10. Inid macrumors newbie

OGame

Try OGame (ogame.org)...
    It's not an RPG, but is browser-based an translated to many langs...

11. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

IF you are not a hardcore gamer or want something cheaper month to month try: http://www.runescape.com/

The new "HD" mode plays full screen and looks pretty decent for a 3D java-based MMO. And unlike WoW you can learn more than 2 professions on your character, but you get only one character per account.

There are also special servers for PvP, role playing, minigames (like WoW dungeons/instances) that you can use at any time, clans (like WoW guilds), loot sharing in clans, clan war battlefields and holiday events following the usual Western/Christian calendar stuff.

12. Dixii thread starter macrumors newbie

Dixii

wow, thanks for all your ideas!
    I'm afraid I'm a born hardcore gamer, just with too much interest of too much other stuff too.. I played WoW and think it's the best game ever.. but spending that much money when I can only allow myself to squeeze in a couple of hours a month isn't an option unfortunately.
    I'll try out the other options you all gave me for now.

Thanks a lot! :)

13. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Try Guild Wars, then. You will need a Windows partition, but it is very similar to World of Warcraft (better if you ask me) and buying the game includes unlimited online play forever, so it is much cheaper.

14. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

http://aqworlds.com/

It's a pretty decent game for a Flash based MMORPG. I've been playing their Adventure Quest since '03. Free, or some premium options as well. Good to blow a little time on.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Guild Wars similar but different to WoW. If you like 100% instanced space, having your own private questing space all the time, then GWs is for you, but I really missed running into other players out in the field. With GWs you must organize parties in the towns, the only common areas of the game. Plus as I recall you move by clicking on the ground and can never fall to your death. ;)

16. Brokenstv macrumors newbie

You can play eve online with the CIDER launcher they have adapted to the game, the classic graphics are the only option at this point but they are plenty til March.
    The next expansion for EVE will include a native OSX client, and they are doing away with the pixel shader 1.0 content (aka classic graphics).

17. whitlecj macrumors member

If you have bootcamp, you should try runesofmagic.com It is a free to play game and is by far the best I have found. A lot like WOW. They are supporting their game by people buying items in an item shop.

18. valiar macrumors regular

The "premium graphics" Mac client is coming out in March.
    Though it will still be the same thing as now - Cider+Windows executable.
    I hate EVE's Mac client, and prefer to run EVE either inside Parallels, or with Crossover.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

20. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Just play WoW; the experience, especially for casual gamers, is so far superior to anything else out there.

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

This topic should be sticked.

MMO's are the big thing these days, so it should be sticked.

22. CSilver macrumors 6502

Since I have switched to Mac I am really bored from not being able to make a right decision to pick a game... On PCs I always played RPGs and nevered played MMORPGs. I downloaded the trial version of WoW last night so far not impressed :p Either I don't know how to play it or I haven't found the right game...?:confused:

23. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Now that's funny, at the bottom of this thread was an ad for a cheap MMO, windows only, on a Mac site.

Very smart.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As a hopeless WoW fanboy, I agree despite it's acknowledged shortcomings. I've sampled a variety MMORPGs- Vanguard, Everquest2, LOTRO, Guild Wars, and some others and none standup to the solid world that Blizzard has created.