Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a few days of growing pains, it appears that MobileMe is now online at Me.com. The service has been up and down over the past few days while under heavy load. While Apple had initially released a MobileMe updater for Mac OS X, they had temporarily pulled the updater.

Today, the MobileMe updater appears to have returned to Software Update as version 1.1:
The Mac OS X Update For MobileMe is recommended for users running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4 and includes general system fixes that enhance your Mac for MobileMe.
The web-based service replaces .Mac and offers web-based email, calendar, addressbook, online storage as well as "push" sync services.

We've opened a MobileMe forum to handle questions and discussion about this new Apple service.

Article Link

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
the update is not appearing in my software updater.....

Try going into System Preferences and clicking on the .Mac icon and click on the tabs in there, this prompts a dialogue box to pop up with the information.

*goes to find the alert*

Here is the dialogue box that should pop up:

gallery_1_65_18114.jpg

zmonster

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
the update is not appearing in my software updater.....

It's not in my software update either. I have a MBP. I can't believe Apple dropped the ball on this one. They are usually very good about product launches. This one went like crap.

zmonster

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Try going into System Preferences and clicking on the .Mac icon and click on the tabs in there, this prompts a dialogue box to pop up with the information.

Yes, that does work. It's not in my software update, but clicking on .Mac in prefs does work and eventually brings up the updater.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I was in Safari when a window popped up and said MobileMe was ready. Please run Software update.

I have installed it and had a play. It is running quite slow and push still doesnt seem to be working. Also MM calendar kept throwing up errors.

:confused:

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
manually installed version 1.0; however, no version 1.1 in software update for me:confused:

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
It's not in my software update either. I have a MBP. I can't believe Apple dropped the ball on this one. They are usually very good about product launches. This one went like crap.

Not in mine either. This rollout has been very poor. I think Apple is stretching themselves too far as they can't handle rolling out MobileMe & iPhone 3G at the same time.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I can't even get me.com up and running. It keeps showing that black spinner.

Keep this up and they lose a 5 year member in standing.

No excuse for this at all.

daleismad

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Boston, MA

*goes to find the alert*

Here is the dialogue box that should pop up:

gallery_1_65_18114.jpg

Thanks, that worked. me.com is still slow as hell though...

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I was in Safari when a window popped up and said MobileMe was ready. Please run Software update.

I have installed it and had a play. It is running quite slow and push still doesnt seem to be working. Also MM calendar kept throwing up errors.

:confused:

installled via system preferences click. mail push also seems to not be working yet.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Not in mine either. This rollout has been very poor. I think Apple is stretching themselves too far as they can't handle rolling out MobileMe & iPhone 3G at the same time.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but... "Told you so!" Heh...

I had a feeling there was going to be chaos when they tried to release the iPhone 3G, iPhone Software 2.0, iTunes 7.7 and MobileMe all at the same time... Ugh.

Regardless, I digress... I'm having a weird problem that I haven't seen anyone else pointing out: MobileMe doesn't work for me in Safari (it opens up, but nothing at all is clickable), but it works perfectly fine in FireFox... I can open up each section, create emails, switch views in calendars, etc, etc... but I can't do any of that in Safari.

Talk about a weird problem... a website from Apple isn't rendering properly in Apple's browser. Ugh.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Me.com is working great today, a bit slow, though. Hopefully it'll speed up in the next few days.

Going to the .Mac preferences panel and getting that dialog to make Software Update show the update worked for me. Finally!

TopCatz

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
UK
I kind of have MobileMe up and running, but it still shows 10GB in the pref pane account details, so I signed out and signed in again to see if it would adjust this, but now it thinks my Mac has never synced and has to re-register and go through the whole "first" sync rigmarole again:
tip: don't sign out!

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I downloaded the manual 1.0 package yesterday and got the 1.1 over software update yesterday. What I'm still waiting for is for the stray .Mac references and icons in iPhoto etc to be replaced with MobileMe.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Yeah, I hate to say it, but... "Told you so!" Heh...

I had a feeling there was going to be chaos when they tried to release the iPhone 3G, iPhone Software 2.0, iTunes 7.7 and MobileMe all at the same time... Ugh.

Regardless, I digress... I'm having a weird problem that I haven't seen anyone else pointing out: MobileMe doesn't work for me in Safari (it opens up, but nothing at all is clickable), but it works perfectly fine in FireFox... I can open up each section, create emails, switch views in calendars, etc, etc... but I can't do any of that in Safari.

Talk about a weird problem... a website from Apple isn't rendering properly in Apple's browser. Ugh.

And don't forget the Appletv updater as well. Way too much, too soon.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

*goes to find the alert*

Ok this method worked for me.

Going directly to software update did not work. Had to go through the .Mac icon ... strange way on Apple's part.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Me.com wasn't sluggish at all for me, and the push IS working.. atleast for me. Everything should be up and dandy soon.

FangRock

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
UK

I think you might be using the Safari 4 beta - it doesn't work. I've gone back to 3.1.1 and it works a treat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.