Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
after reading everyones problems i just decided to wait patiently and see. eventually everything seems to be working. i got the update message, it updated. MobileMe now seems to be running fairly quickly and smoothly. i have yet to try it from work - interestingly reading though the threads i've picked up from my dreadful windows machine at work i have to install itunes to get this working or use the internet version - fair enough but this wasn't very clear from the promo stuff apple released. anyway the point of the post is like a good boy i decided to watch the welcome video on my MobileMe homepage. i was quite stunned to find it using firefox. not that i have anything against it but what about safari? presumably this video was recorded sometime ago? did firefox work better than safari? was it snappier? is safari not as good or as compliant as firefox? should i give up on safari and use firefox?
your thoughts please?

I think it gives the PC users a warm fuzzy feeling. I guess Apple doesn't want to overload the PC user with everything "all Mac". Baby steps. People for the most part don't like change. If it looks like a huge leap, I mean if EVERYTHING is different, then people will be scared off. If Apple drops little hints of familiarity into the mix, it makes people more comfortable with the switch. Gotta hand it to the folks in Marketing. They never sleep.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I'm torn as to whether to get MobileMe or not... I'm not sure I'd really use it enough. I sync my iPod Touch once a day anyway, and I already have my own website.... so I dunno.

I was suspect as well but I went through with it and am glad that I did

I use iDisk often and I have no problem paying for another email (on top of my GMail) with the services provided for by Apple with it

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I was reinstalling Tiger on the parent's eMac. Not sure how, but half the files on that hard drive were corrupted. :confused:

Anyway, I put the old Tiger disk (10.4.0) in and erased and installed. I ran through the initial set up. Putting my data in, creating a new user account. Then I came on the part where Apple usually offers a free trial for .Mac but in this case, it changed to this:

That part of Setup Assistant is web based and is just a webpage from Apple's servers. you are able to view it as you connect to your LAN in the steps before.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Hi

I have been a .mac user for 9 years and now that Apple have overhauled the service to .me, I am unable to use any part of the service!! I can't login on me.com and I can't login in the MobileMe system preferences panel! I've sent them an email as there is no phone support, which is amazing considering that this is supposed to be a premium service!

Anyone have any ideas or having the same issues?!

Thanks

P.S. I am running 10.5.4 and I've applied the MobileMe update!

You know, I called yesterday because I couldn't find an answer on their web-site and was blown away that I couldn't talk to someone

That is pathetic

I like Me.com so far but no phone support is pretty lazy on Apple's part

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
You know Apple is starting to turn into the Microsoft that we all grew to hate, and my love for Apple is quickly fading as their greed and monopolistic attitude are showing in full force with the launch of me.com and the new iphone and all the restrictions they put on the developers for the new iPhone platform.

With that said, I won't be signing up for MobileME. They don't support Internet Explorer, and all you Safari and Firefox lovers can make fun of me all you want, but on my PC I still love IE, and I refuse to use those other browsers.

I mean come on Apple, at least let me sign up for MobileME and load the software even though I'm using IE, but to FORCE me to go download Safari or Firefox, neither of which do I have installed on my PC is a total turn off, and I think I'll just sign up for an Exchange account with ActiveSync service through my web hosting company for $6.99 a month instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.