MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

125121-nibuke_300.jpg

Meckimac.com posts a photo of the MobileMe retail box that has started shipping to some customers.

The box itself is not particularly useful, as it likely contains only an activation code for a year of MobileMe service. Apple's .Mac service was similarly distributed as a box with an activation code. The MobileMe web service is not yet active, but should appear at Me.com.

Apple has given additional hints that the MobileMe service should come online imminently. They have recommended that all current .Mac owners sync their bookmarks back to their Macs by July 6th. While MobileMe will allow bookmark syncing between computers, it will remove the online web access to them. In order to preserve your bookmarks, you need to make sure they are synced to your Mac.

Article Link

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i still dont get why people want to buy, wait, and receive a box with a manual in it about an online service....Wouldn't it be easier to just do it online and get everything up immediately?:confused:

PS, and more environmentally friendly.

Comment

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
i still dont get why people want to buy, wait, and receive a box with a manual in it about an online service....Wouldn't it be easier to just do it online and get everything up immediately?:confused:

PS, and more environmentally friendly.

Other than sometimes you can buy the box for cheaper, from ebay or amazon.

Comment

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Mine still says mid july.
Not overly bothered, just want it so I can pick a decent email address soon before they all go. (though I expect most decent ones have already from .mac users)

Comment

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
is that really the main reason behind this?

Well, I'm not sure why Apple offers boxes and doesn't just handle everything online. However, it is certainly the reason why I buy the boxes rather than just renew online. I have never paid $99 for my annual subscription. I can always find a box for cheaper than that.

Comment

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
What happened to the push for being a greener Apple? :confused:

I agree with the above sentiment - the use of e-mail for activation codes is much more efficient and easier than tangibly receiving a cardboard box.

EDIT: I know this has been stated before, but I still can't get over the 'me' on MobileMe; it's far too similar to a dodgy product by another large software company (for Apple's sake, hopefully not nearly as dodgy):

2634445074_3cd47f6e78.jpg

2633624485_95cf3275eb.jpg

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
What a waste. Why wouild you buy this? Why not just have the activation code emailed to you?

Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So they are really keeping the logo... sad, very sad. I fear this will go down down in computer lore along with Clippy and 'Bob'.

Comment

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
The middle of BentFork, TN
The box also makes gift giving a little easier--though I agree that the box is rather useless except as something to wrap. Perhaps something along the lines of a MobileMe (gift) activation card would make more sense?

Comment

moose.boy

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2003
UK
Yes, it is a step forward for a greener apple.

I've got a colletion of .mac boxes from over the years, and apple has got most of their packaging now down to something smaller than the size of a double cd case.

Compare with PC World where big boxes rule.

It's also nice to be able to have something in a box for gifts. A lot of people who will get most use out of .mac will be students who may not be able to afford to get it for themselves, or as something that you get your parent as a 'standing gift' each year because it makes things simple.

And as for the box looking silly - it looks far more descriptive than previous .mac boxes.

Comment

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yep....

I'd vote for the gift card idea. That's a pretty good compromise when you want a physical "thing" to give as a gift, but don't want the ridiculous nature of giving people a box full of air and a sheet or two of paper.

Personally, I'd also like to see the option to buy these subscriptions in multi-year increments, at a discount. I've been using mostly Mac systems since 1999 or so. If they gave me a good price break for committing to the service for 4 or 5 years at one time, I probably would have gone for it.

The box also makes gift giving a little easier--though I agree that the box is rather useless except as something to wrap. Perhaps something along the lines of a MobileMe (gift) activation card would make more sense?

Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
They have to make a boxed product for all of the 3rd party Apple resellers like Best Buy, Amazon, etc. I'm glad that they do, because I've never had to spend the full $99 retail price for the service as a result.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.