Mojave slow to boot

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by andeify, Sep 17, 2018.

1. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Mojave on my MacBook Pro but seems really slow to boot, like 3 times longer. Theres also some long pauses in some system preference panes. Has anyone else discovered this or should I send Apple feedback?

2. TimothyR734 macrumors 6502a

TimothyR734

Sometimes its good to let the OS settle a bit after installation but the more you use it the snappier it becomes

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

check and see if your mac drive is still set as startup drive in system preferences/startup.

4. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

Will do, thanks

5. itegypt, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I own my MBP for about 3 years now and tt was much faster with HS. I now have Mojave GM and I got the same issues like andeify it may take about a full min for me to get to the logon screen, lags I also checked the startup drive and it's set to HD/OS10.14 any ideas?, Thanks

6. andeify, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018

andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

GM isn't out, only beta 18A389. click on 10.14 next to version to reveal build. So the problem isn't the startup disk. Ive recorded a video of it booting in verbose. Theres nothing that jumps out at me as to why its pausing, maybe someone else can see. Ive also noticed wifi problems.

7. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

same beta version, boot delay and wifi issues

8. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

Im sure it will be fixed in the final version, when they release it on Monday

9. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

do you see any improvments now?
    Thanks

10. goslowjoe macrumors member

goslowjoe

In the desert, surrounded by goats and camels
    I was also hoping Mojave would fix it, but it is still slow to boot. In addition, running Black Magic speed Test, I get about 500MB/s Read, but barely 100MB/s Write. Drive is a 240GB WD Green, not the best in the business, but Writing speeds just seem too low.

11. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Thanks, goslowjoe
    I'm noticing a bid lesser long pauses now but the booting is still slow. Is Mojave behaving the same for all of your Apple computers?

12. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Hmmmm....

Yesterday I installed a copy of Mojave onto an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD formatted for HFS+.

When I rebooted to it, I was surprised at HOW QUICKLY it booted up!

13. bastisk8 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue when i installed High Sierra using APFS on an external SSD (Samsung T5) - boot times were super slow.
    Reformatting and using HFS+ fixed it for me.

Did the final version of Mojave fix the slow boot with APFS?

14. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

For me no, I had the final beta right before this final release but still slow it boot : /

15. TokMok3, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

TokMok3 macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro 15 2015(Mid) i7 16GB with FileVault on it took 8 seconds to boot to the login screen. It was faster the High Sierra.

MacBook Air 11 2013(mid) i5 8GB with FileVault: 7 Seconds to boot to the login screen.

I did a clean install [Option Command R], then reformat the whole drive and then install. After installing Mojave, the drive was encrypted with FileVault, is important to mention that fileVault took 25 minutes to encrypt the 250GB drive compared with 4 hours with High Sierra. I decide not to install nothing for 24 hours and let the system do the indexing, as a conclusion: This machine is fast or at least that's what I can perceive.

16. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

Still slow to boot, Ive not had the time to test if any of the other problems have gone. It seems like it's been rushed to release. To be fair it is very stable and besides the slow boot and the wifi problems I had with the beta, its pretty rock solid.

17. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I just installed it on a 2018 MacBook Pro that is pretty much factory fresh, and the restart sequence looks pretty messy.

In addition to feeling shockingly slow, clicking to enter password will cause the interface to stutter at like 1fps while it animates on the password box, then it'll take what feels like another 20s more to get to a blank desktop, including the screen going back with an apple logo and progress bar that looks like the computer is back to its initial boot.

I know rebooting shouldn't be an "everyday" occurrence, but I still hope they fix it, as it feels like behaviour from a computer from 15 years ago.

18. goslowjoe macrumors member

goslowjoe

In the desert, surrounded by goats and camels
    Nope, my 27" iMac and 15" MacBook Pro are fine (both have their original Apple SSDs). It is just the 21" 2015 Retina iMac of which I replaced the slow HDD with a SSD that has the problem.

19. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

Glad I'm not the only one - there are a few more people reporting that behaviour here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/odd-bootup-behavior.2142876/

20. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I'm now on 10.14.1 for about 8 hours and I feel it's better

21. qua macrumors member

I didn't expect it to work but the trick I found of going to preferences, unlocking, reassigning the hd as startup, and restarting solved the problem for me. Went from a minute and a half to a little over 20 seconds.

22. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

That's interesting... simply going into Startup Disk, unlocking and selecting Restart worked for me too (it had a lengthy delay where I thought it was frozen, but then worked). I still get the odd behaviour where after logging in it then shows a black screen with the Apple logo and a progress bar before it gets to the desktop, but it now takes half the time it used to. Weird.

23. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Thanks!!!

24. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Restarting is always faster than a cold boot. Been that way since the late 80s.

25. andeify thread starter macrumors 6502

andeify

Same as others reassigning the startup disk improved boot from off, restarting was never slow. Its quicker but not as quick as High Sierra.