Monies found

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by irishgrizzly, Apr 25, 2007.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've got a dilemma. Two months ago I moved into a rented flat. My next door neighbor seemed to disappear when ever I left the place – she seemed scared of me. I later found out this was because a drug dealer lived in the place before me – now in jail. The landlord never mentioned this, but I understand why he wouldn't. Last week I was cleaning out an old storage space under the stairs and found a lose panel. Pulled it off and found a bag of money with wads of rolled up notes. I counted it up and it's quite a lot. I can't really keep this can I? I could give it to the police or to charity. What would you do?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You could hand it into the Police. say you found it on the street and see if anyone claims it!;)

What do you think you should do?
    Do you have any morals?:)

3. mpw Guest

er.....I know I'm going to get pounded for this by better citizens, but I'd keep it, no question.

In fact I've already spent it.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I'd be more worried that the owner of the money might come back for it if he's released...

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

shoot, that's a tough one bro.

I think the honest thing is go to the police and turn it in. Just because if you don't and you later get caught with it you could be charged with some obscure accessory to crime since it's most likely drug money.

The police may say "if no one claims it in X number of days it's yours blah blah" or they may say "no, it's connected to a known drug dealer and we must take it" Either way it's best to be on the safe side.

I'd just be honest and say where you found it (IE your address) and that the landlord believes the last tenant is no in jail. Don't give them anymore details then you have to, but be honest.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Well I was hinting at keeping it, with the hand it in and say you found it.

7. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I don't much good can come in keeping it. I feel like it tainted being that it most likely came from crime. So I think giving it to a good cause is my best bet. I don't really need the money myself.

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I agree with Dorno- try to keep the whole "drug dealer" part of it mum, and explain the rest to them, perhaps they'll give it back to you.

9. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

If you don't need it, then give half to a worthy cause, turn in the other half, then move because someone will come looking for it.

10. bartelby macrumors Core

One problem is the charity my ask questions where it came from. Unless you just have it couriered to a charity with a note.

If someone does come round it's obvious that the Police found the money when they searched the property.
    You can give them half of it and then try to persuade them you didn't spend the rest.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

No tax break then...

12. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Most charities don't care (and won't ask) where the money comes from. They care if they can do what ever it is they do.

13. mpw Guest

Then you should find somebody who does need the money.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If you found it on the street there is paperwork and if it is left unclaimed you get it in 90 days.
    If you bought the house/appartment and found it its yours.
    In theory it probably belongs to your landlord. That might actually come down to whether the apartment is furnished or not.
    The police might have a claim to it as proceeds of an illegal activity.

Easiest solution is to put it back and pretend you didn't find it.
    Best solution is to pay a lawyer.

Not sure what I would do. Give it to a charity anonymously maybe. Spending it would be a great temptation.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

That's good. A fair amount of charities in the UK would be very suspicious and may not accept it.

16. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I'm glad to see someone thinking clearly.

this is a real problem, the person will either send someone for the money or come back for it when they get out of jail.

I don't want to be alarmist, but you have tougher decisions than what to do with the money.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Things to consider for your future freedom and happiness

Possibly counterfit
    Certainly contaminated with cocaine (guarantees you getting sniffed up by a large mean dog when you try to carry it through an airport)
    Banks in the US are required to report deposits and transfers of more than $10K to the gov't.
    Bank notes have serial numbers...
    Knowing what you do, you're borderline 'accessory after the fact' or subject to prosecution under proceeds of crime legislation if ever found out.

Plus what are you going to say to the police in one year less a day when chummy comes back to toss your place and give your face an extreme makeover?
    "Well, yeah, I thought about reporting it but dint get around to it..."

I would take it to the police first thing, turn it in, get the receipt etc etc.

18. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I checked the crime the guy went in for – drug possession. He could be out in as little as 8 weeks! It may be just the right time to be alarmist – the locks are the same from when I moved in. I could come home to find him in my flat tearing it up looking for his money!

19. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd say go to the police, be honest, and ask what kind of protection they can offer. You can't really keep the money, especially if it's dude's drug money—I wouldn't want to be you if he shows up and it's gone though...

Actually, I hate to say it, but maybe you should just put it back where you found it, leave the locks the same, let the guy come in and get it, and just act like you never knew about it if anyone asks any questions. Probably the safest option.

20. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I'd keep it and spend it. I dont feel that kind of quilt. If someone is careless enough to loose it, then thats not my problem.

Even though its most likely linked to drug money, i would happily spend it... but, i would start looking for somewhere else to live too... (that applys if i lived in the US.. you guys have guns. Here, I would stay put)

21. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

No matter what you are going to live in fear for as long as you live there. There's a reason your neighbor avoided you, and that reason is in prison (for now). Get out while you can. Burn the money if want. Turn it into the cops and perhaps it will be used to support victims of crime. Like I said earlier, you won't be safe in that apartment.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

exactly - or have some "friends" show up and ask to go look for it. I'd be concerned about repercussions on that end. You might want to find out how long he's going to be in jail as well. If you plan on keeping it, it would be best to leave the place and don't have a forwarding address. It also depends on how much money it is. Even if you do go to the police and they hold it for 90 days or what ever, that really doesn't matter. The person who put it there won't care if the police had it or not and still come looking for the person who has it now. And giving it to charity is fine, but again, the person is still going to want to get his hands on it, so if its gone, no matter where, the person responsible for removing will not be the object of his affection.

Good luck.

D

23. mpw Guest

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

which is a very good question - there's no reason not to let us know.

D

25. Clarence macrumors regular

From experience:

He, or somebody in his family, will be there to retreive the money. especially if it is a large amount. If its a couple hundred bucks, I wouldent worry too much about it.

They will not ask nicely., and they will not knock. My sister lived with a drug dealer who was murdered and the family kicked in her apartment door and ransacked the place looking for the cash, supposedly 80 grand. Thank God she was with me.

If it's a large amount, I say move. ASAP. If you must stay, turn in over to police, and pray like never before. Unfortunatly, the police wont protect you. Move ASAP and sue the landlord for the expense. You will win.

Bad situation, do not take it lightly.