More Apple Packages?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Spymac reports that Apple may start providing more bundles akin to iLife:

According to our tipster, Apple plans to squash together Safari, Mail and iChat into a package to be sold for $29.95 USD
Apple's current iLife bundle provides iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and iDVD in one $49.00. Only iDVD is otherwise unavailable from Apple's website for download.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Why on earth would they do that? They're bundled with OS X and new comps to begin with... and they're not that big of a download. :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't see them making another paid bundle unless it also includes something you can't get for free, like iDVD. They might start charging for something that's currently free, or, better yet, they could have an entirely new app up their sleeve.

Mattski

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Australia
Pay for something you can get for free?

I still don't understand the concept of paying for free Applications.....

iLife has an advantage of coming on discs, when it is too big to download.

It would be nice to see Apple offer free applications on CD's for a minor fee.

$29.95 / $60 Aus is a bit too much.

Which is why I tend to believe this is pure speculation with no real substance what so ever.

I think Spymac has gone to the Dogs in a big way. A year ago (even despite iWalk) they seemed to post some credible information, however now.....it's all seems to be crap.

itmdramaguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
That Would Be Stupid!

Apple would have to be stupid if they wanted to charge for Mail, Safari, and iChat. All of these programs have problems. iChat is the only one that I really really like enough to pay for. Mail is not the best mail program and Safari needs a lot of work still until it beats out Internet Explorer compatability. Please don't do this Apple!

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
Mail iChat and Safari doesn't make sense. As much as i like the programs, they're pretty basic and if they don't exist something else does for free (Mozilla and AIM anyone?) I would prefer to keep on with my apple apps, but i'm not going to pay $30.00 for it.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
reasonable to me

i say that because you don't make money giving away free software.

they could offer a plan where you get free upgrades of iLife and iConnect (whatever they call it) for 12 months after the purchase of your new system.

apple is looking for revenue streams. offering kick ass software at good prices is one good way to do it.

think of all the dippy $10US apps out there that people buy, that don't really do much.

$80US to get all of your needs met, seems good to me. music, photos, movies, email, chat, internet etc that people actually want to use?

i am in. i have no problems supporting a company i believe in.

Ocelot

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
Canada
Spymac....right....

Okay this is lame!!!

...and in other news:

Microsoft will be bundeling paint, wordpad, msn messenger and selling it for 15.95 the package will be called "redundant money making scam pro" and will compete directly with Apple's "iCrap" package.

sorry...sarcasm... :D

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
The thing about iLife is that all four programs work with one another. iChat, Mail, and Safari don't, at least not in their current forms. I'd believe it if they packaged them together as an upgrade CD for something like $5-10 to cover printing and distribution costs for people who don't want to download. I could see the expense if they package something new with it, could also indicate new versions of ichat and mail are on the way too. But I doubt it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
All I can say is it better not be true.
why does it matter, its not like we dont haave them to begin with.

iJon

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Ok so this means they'd no longer offer these basic programs for free via download? Why have a software updater and why bother with a browser then since no one will use it?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
the only issue i have with this is that there is no reason to. none of them is big like iDVD, or even iMovie.

as to selling them, so what? apple hasn't charged for iPhoto or iTunes or iMovie, and i don't think they are going to. stuff like that will bring you to your knees as a company. Apple, i think, has found a zen of free and charged--you charge for OSes, apps that are unnecessary to anyone but pros and prosumers, and so on... but you can't charge for basic stuff. hell, even M$ understands that. charge for apple works? of course. charge for FCP? duh... Safari? no. Apple isn't that stupid. they know they would fly out of that market like chicken from a coop with a fox in it.

Apple will probably sell them in addition to making them available as free downloads. and why not? there are plenty of people who will drop 30$ for another cool apple box, some physical documentation, and for the convenience of having the Apps on a CD.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
More pay-for packages: Probably, although none in the immediate future.
A pay-for package that includes Safari or iChat: Total nonsense.

Apple knows that users won't tolerate being charged for something they can replace for free (like iChat and Safari). I can't believe Spymac is publishing junk like this (something I'd expect from MOSR :p ).

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
This is utter nonsense from Spymac. Apple may need money, but they aren't going to resort to charging for a Suite like this. This would be ridiculous. Just don't pay any attention to it.

Regards,
Gus

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This ones a hoax

I can understand iLife. After all Apple pays a licensing fee to ship iDVD and it's MPEG2 Encoding.

However

iChat- No one is going to pay for an IM.

mail.app- Charging for a Basic OS component? Not smart

Safari- Again no one was asking for Safari. It's not even up to Chimeras level yet.

All in all this sound like another Spymac dream.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Re: This ones a hoax

Originally posted by nuckinfutz

Safari- Again no one was asking for Safari. It's not even up to Chimeras level yet.

All in all this sound like another Spymac dream.
Yeah i cant see anybody paying for an internet browser, when was the last time that happened...?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
guys, guys, i don't think they are going to take down the free DLs. it doesn't look like the article says so either. why assume that they are going to force you to pay? i mean, that wasn't the case with iLife. it changed next to nothing. you always had to pay for iDVD. they just threw the other ones into it so you wouldn't have to DL them.

that's what this will be, only with less incentive to buy. it may not happen, but if it does, this is probably how it will play out.

iAndy

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2003
Hong Kong
Originally posted by Gus
This is utter nonsense from Spymac. Apple may need money, but they aren't going to resort to charging for a Suite like this. This would be ridiculous. Just don't pay any attention to it.
There you go Cupertino - I think your deliberate "marketing test" leaked via Spymac received a resounding :( :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Mail and iChat get updated with OS X updates. Safari which is nowhere near prime time is a small download. Most people (if not everyone) should have no problems downloading it.

I can see Apple selling a CD with Safari for their usual $19.95 fee for those who don't want to be bothered downloading it. In that case, I could see Apple loading a few apps on the CD.

I can't see Apple forcing people to pay for Safari as people will just use whatever web browser that they like and is free.

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
What about this...

I would like to see iCal, Mail and Address Book put together in one app like Entourage or Outlook. It would be nice to see my calander from within Mail without having to launch another app or work with Address Book from iCal..etc. Does this make any sense at all???

Still would not see a need to charge for it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.