Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
This is iPad 3 all over again.

which really doesnt mean much to anybody except geek enthusiasts. my dad couldnt tell you which was the ipad 3 and what the differences are between. like most consumers, when he knows he wants an ipad he just goes and buys an ipad. years later he may do it again.

not a big deal.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
good for me, didn't have any money right now to buy the retina ipad mini. i expect it to be at least $500(16 GB).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Really? No retina screen? Well if they do not give the mini a retina screen and if Amazon and Google give their 7" devices, as rumoured, retina busting resolution screens then the iPad Mini is going to be even more atrocious value for money, if that's possible, for an Apple device even!
And then if they launch that slimmed down iPad 5, no one will buy a mini?

My Nexus 7 already has a higher res screen. I call BS and think they will launch a retina model this year with upgraded CPU and GPU.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So what not Mini update this year, that's a long time between updates, unless Apple does like the iPad 3 and replaces it with a new model just months later in 2014?

I really want a new Mini!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
if true, history is just repeating itself....happened with the original iPad.

Only difference I don't think folks were expecting a "retina" display on the iPad 2, but I could be wrong....

Problem with that reasoning is the original iPad came out before Retina was even introduced. Not so with the 1st iPad mini. Retina was out over 2 years before the first mini was introduced. So it would be inexcusable for gen 2 not to have Retina, especially when it's one of their main selling points and that the company is run by a "supply chain guru"

This isn't good for a company which needs to distinguish the mini from other smaller tablets. Apple can't be stuck in 2010.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... shortages of Retina display panels for Apple's planned second-generation iPad mini have forced the company to push back its internal launch plans into early 2014.

Fine. There isn't any urgency in rolling out a Retina iPad mini.
No serious competition. No need to rush anything.
Best to wait for the IGZO-based LCD manufacturing process to mature.

The report also appears to suggest that Apple may offer both Retina and non-Retina versions of the second-generation iPad mini, although it is unclear just how price and feature differentiation between the models would work out.

NPD DisplaySearch analysts have also been flip-flopping on their claims

If you predict anything and everything, you'll never be wrong, right?
Maybe NPD et al are just getting tired of being wrong so often.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Hope this is just a rumor. I'm sure Apple is well aware of all the people wishing for iPad mini retina. That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my current iPad mini, just wish I got a 32 GB since I'm running out of space

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
apple is always delaying their products, i dont understand what's wrong with them.

Apple can only release tech ready for the market, would you rather they just make the iPad a different color or bump the storage size and call it an all new iPad?

I do wish they would release the iPad Mini 2 with new CPU and better spec even if it doesn't include the retina screen. A lot of people in the know are waiting for the next update even though the current Mini will work just fine for the next few years.

That said Apple can't wait over 12 months between updates for its tables when others are bringing out new models ever 6 months or less.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
apple is always delaying their products, i dont understand what's wrong with them.

Put your money where your mouth is. Name one hardware product Apple has publicly announced with a ship date in the past 5 years & then later pushed the launch date back?

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
There are apps that can handle Flash fairly well. It's not as big of an issue as when the first iPad came out. Smart sites have moved away from Flash or added compatible tablet video and other web functionality.

I finally got puffin for my iPhone to see how well it works. Not too bad.

There are a couple of major sites for me that run on flash still so it becomes a bit of an issue. The whole matter of HTML5 being better does not help me play flash video. Would think more sites would move to a different format by now, unless they feel there is no real reason to. Working on tablets would be a great reason.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
which really doesnt mean much to anybody except geek enthusiasts. my dad couldnt tell you which was the ipad 3 and what the differences are between. like most consumers, when he knows he wants an ipad he just goes and buys an ipad. years later he may do it again.

not a big deal.

It's funny you mention that. I ran into someone today that couldn't tell me which generation iPad they had. They had the third generation iPad. I could tell because it was thick and had the 32-pin connector. In this case, it made a difference to this person because they also bought an iPhone 5 so she is obligated to use two different charge/sync cables.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
What would be the reason to purchase a non-retina mini 2 at this point?

Is there anyone who would pick one of these up over a highly discounted mini 1?

Retina is coming - I think it'd be a big mistake for Apple to release a non-retina version. If it takes a little extra time, so be it. Just release it when its ready and quit this "in-between, stepchild product" nonsense (looking at you iPad 3).

They will add a better camera. And a little more RAM. Need to milk money.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'd rather get the 5G iPad when that finally ships in October 2013. If the new iPad uses the same bezel design as the iPad mini, the new iPad will be physically smaller than the current 9.7" model.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Put your money where your mouth is. Name one hardware product Apple has publicly announced with a ship date in the past 5 years & then later pushed the launch date back?

27" iMac earlier this year (was supposed to launch in late 2012), but you're right that it is extremely rare.

At this point I don't know what to believe regarding a retina mini. It appears to be one of the most anticipated revisions to an existing product since the iPad moved to retina (and maybe the new Mac Pro).

iPad 5 with mini-like thinness and styling is the compromise that might satisfy our appetite for a lighter device while still retaining the larger screen.

We'll see...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
27" iMac earlier this year (was supposed to launch in late 2012), but you're right that it is extremely rare.

Nope. You need to go back to the video tape. Cook was upfront that it would ship in limited quantity in Dec '12 & improve in Jan. that is exactly what happened.

But my larger point is that many people here equate unsubstantiated rumors with Apple making an official announcement. Then when the rumor doesn't come to fruition it's somehow Apple's ineptitude. No logic at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.