Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
It's hilarious reading some comments here of people celebrating as if it was their own company or as if Apple even gave a damn about you at all.

Samsung makes incredibly high quality components, as a consumer it's in your interest to have components as good as possible in the device you buy. This move is not in the interest of consumers at all, it's all about Apple's own interests.

BTW, how is that Maps celebration going? Have you found the party yet or did you go off route again?

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
It's hilarious reading some comments here of people celebrating as if it was their own company or as if Apple even gave a damn about you at all.

Samsung makes incredibly high quality components, as a consumer it's in your interest to have components as good as possible in the device you buy. This move is not in the interest of consumers at all, it's all about Apple's own interests.

BTW, how is that Maps celebration going? Have you found the party yet or did you go off route again?

This.

why in the end does anybody care what these two companies are arguing about? When you get in trouble or are having an issue with someone does Apple step in and stick up for you? Its comical how butthurt people get for Apple.

Does Apple give out **** that I have yet to receive for buying their products? Samsung makes great chips and makes your phone work very very well. What else do you gotta care about?

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
BWAAA HAA HAA
I needed a good laugh today.
TSMC has screwed up both the 28nm and 20nm chips so badly for nVidia that they are looking for a new foundry.
Even AMD is not happy with TSMC's quality and wafer costs.

Perhaps Samsung will take that contract. nVidia has already requested samples from Samsung.

Here's a good read.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/yield_problems_may_drive_qualcomm_nvidia_away_tsmc

Yeah I read that Nvidia and AMD is heading to Samsung for production. Its nice to have friends in the industry. :)

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Wonder if the quality will still be there, or at least up to par with Samsung's quality of chip manufacturing.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

If that was the case we'll have Intel making chips, not Samsung. Samsung's presence really isn't irreplaceable since they don't design chips anyway. The bigger potential problem is probably the initial yield and the quantity. But if that's Apple's strategic decision, it's hard to fault them.

Different situation. That'll be more like Apple making chips in their new factory built by Apple's own new team. TSMC is a bigger player than Samsung in the sector. After all we're somehow surviving using graphics chips on our PCs and Macs made by TSMC, modem chips on our iPhones made by TSMC, processors on Android phones made by TSMC, etc.

Also I haven't heard too many complaints about Maps these days. I personally have tried Google maps for a bit but eventually came back to the Apple maps since I found the results to be good enough and the general performance is much better.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This.

why in the end does anybody care what these two companies are arguing about? When you get in trouble or are having an issue with someone does Apple step in and stick up for you? Its comical how butthurt people get for Apple.

Does Apple give out **** that I have yet to receive for buying their products? Samsung makes great chips and makes your phone work very very well. What else do you gotta care about?

It's called fanboys

Let it be known I'm a huge apple fan but not fanboy

I support apple products but don't drink the apple koolaid

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
If that was the case we'll have Intel making chips, not Samsung. Samsung's presence really isn't irreplaceable since they don't design chips anyway. The bigger potential problem is probably the initial yield and the quantity. But if that's Apple's strategic decision, it's hard to fault them.

Samsung doesn't design their own chips? I guess the Exynos chips are designed by Apple? Stop spewing BS...

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Samsung doesn't design their own chips? I guess the Exynos chips are designed by Apple? Stop spewing BS...

I am playing around with a Galaxy Note 10.1 with the exynos quad core and its snappy. Loving it so far. The Google play store isn't refined as Apple's(No way to search Tablet only Apps)but got some great Wifi Analyser apps you will never find in the Apple store.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If Apple manufactured it's own components like Samsung does then they wouldn't have been in this situation in the first place, dependent on outside companies for vital components. Given that TSMC was their only viable alternative it seems unlikely that Apple would have been able to strike a great deal price wise.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
talk about haters

samsung has done a commendable job with the chips.

when did anyone here have issues with their cpus?

that's right none.

Thank you samsung.

love you long time.

Now I know you may of raped my daughter 2 times now since you started babysitting for me. I know that nothing has changed with you. So what the hell, can you babysit for me tonight? What could possibly go wrong?!

----------

Future health of the company is more important than the immediate. If they continue to rely on companies that eventually compete with them, they will get screwed like they have in the past.

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
Now I know you may of raped my daughter 2 times now since you started babysitting for me. I know that nothing has changed with you. So what the hell, can you babysit for me tonight? What could possibly go wrong?!

Easily one of the worst analogies I have read anywhere. I have read quite a few stupid ones over the years and this one just takes the cake.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
This is a smart tactical move.

Does Nintendo makes game for Sony or Microsoft? Even though they can make a fortune making a Mario game for Sony or Microsoft etc system they choose not to because it would be a bad tactical move.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Would you be happy if you spent millions of dollars on research that you shared with a supposed partner that you invested hundreds of millions of dollars in so that it could make parts for you only to have the so called partner turn around and use your research for free to come out with a competing product? No, you wouldn't. Innovation is not copying your competitors products, but adding something new.

Moreover, Samsung is notorious for using inside information or borrowed information to gain a competitive edge without having to come up with the ideas itself. Just today Samsung's Offices were raided by the police in South Korea, which were looking for evidence that Samsung illegally acquired LG trade secrets.

I am surprised any company uses Samsung for parts as it will surely take any innovative ideas for itself.

Link?

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Easily one of the worst analogies I have read anywhere. I have read quite a few stupid ones over the years and this one just takes the cake.
I trust Samsung with intellectual property as much as I would trust a child molester with my kids. Yeah I feel strongly about the subject.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
An Asian High Court? Is that like the high courts that sided with the locals over the iPad name or the high courts that sided with the locals over clone of Apple stores selling clone of Apple products? Is that the $1 billion Samsung settlement that hasn't resulted in $1 changing hands? Etc.

I can't believe there is so much faith in written agreements made with some of those countries. For example, North Korea has signed many documents related to NOT developing their nuclear capabilities. That deal was made with higher powers than even Apple... but broken just the same.

Way to generalize Asians.

Koreans, Taiwanese, Chinese, Japanese, etc. They're all different. There is no one "Asian High Court." Heck, even between Taiwanese and mainland Chinese, there's plenty differences in terms of how business and politics are conducted, even though they're practically both Chinese.

Grouping them all together makes as much sense as generalizing Brazilians using the behaviors of Texans because they're all in "America."

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

It was funny earlier today when I checked New Posts and this thread was right next to one about Samsung SSDs (praising them!). Gotta love it.

Michael

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
BWAAA HAA HAA
I needed a good laugh today.
TSMC has screwed up both the 28nm and 20nm chips so badly for nVidia that they are looking for a new foundry.
Even AMD is not happy with TSMC's quality and wafer costs.

Perhaps Samsung will take that contract. nVidia has already requested samples from Samsung.

Here's a good read.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/yield_problems_may_drive_qualcomm_nvidia_away_tsmc

And half a year after that article, nVidia's still with TSMC.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2013/04/127_125393.html

And a full year later, nVidia still continues to say they're "pitched for business by other foundries" but still with TSMC. It's all whining because most people, like you, don't know much about 28nm expected yield anyway.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2256742/nvidia-says-tsmcs-rivals-are-knocking-on-its-door

You do realize that if you think TSMC "screwed up", then you're also claiming that every other foundry is a complete and utter failure. Why?
Because, TSMC now owns nearly 100 percent of the 28nm process market.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/18/tsmc-28nm-process-2013/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.