More Details on Next iPod Touch and Nano

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Previously leaked touch screen part
iLounge provides some more details about the upcoming iPod Touch and iPod Nano revisions coming from Apple next week. According to the site, the iPod Touch will contain a back-side camera, microphone and a new shape to the back.
Think of the top of a MacBook Pro, only smaller, which is to say flat rather than curved at the center—closer to the look of the first-generation iPod touch’s back, only with modifications.
In addition, iLounge is also hearing that the small touchscreen device that we've been seeing hints of will be thought of as an iPod Nano rather than a Shuffle -- though iLounge admits "it doesn't make much sense" to them at this point.

Apple will be hosting a media event at 10 am Pacific time on September 1st.

Article Link: More Details on Next iPod Touch and Nano

scb02

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Going of the picture above, if that is a Nano, then tbh I don't think I like it?

Maybe on release it might look better, but going of that I don't at all :(

We shall see soon!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Seems like Apple wants to replace the shuffle & nano with this new "postage stamp" touchscreen nano. Basically merge the two devices. I am curious how the controls will be though. Clearly they would place some emphasis on using the headphones as the remote to control playback like on the shuffle. Probably even include the voice command stuff.

The touchscreen could still be used to do basic stuff like pick album/artist/track and scrub through the currently playing track. Does not seem like the touchscreen would do anything more advanced like an iPod touch or something.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Whatever the outcome will be. I don't care. Some people are going to like it and the others... will keep complaining anyway. Like this is ever going to change. Not.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
"postage stamp" touchscreen nano
I think it's going to be slightly bigger than some people are interpreting that screen to be. It'll have to be big enough to comfortably watch video.

It's interesting. If it has bluetooth and/or wifi it'd be a perfect size to act as a remote for Apple TV, as other rumours have suggested.

I wonder if we'll be able to target it with the iOS SDK? I can think of a few uses for a small programmable device like that, for controlling interactive displays and so on.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
The new iPod Touch is going to tempting, even though I'd really like to get an iPad when they start selling it here. (and I really don't see a reason to get them both)

Krazubu

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
That screen might be added to the other as a clickwheel replacement. Contextual actions depending on the menu, album artwork when unused, things like that...
There's no much point downsizing the current nano screen, especially considering the video features.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I think it's going to be slightly bigger than some people are interpreting that screen to be. It'll have to be big enough to comfortably watch video.
Probably, but I still think it is going to be a smaller screen than the current nano. It will probably be somewhat closer to the size of the iPod shuffle, it will carry the same clip and everything I suspect.

They probably figure that most people don't use the nano for recording/watching video anymore, especially since the new iPod touch will have cameras.

Like I said, I suspect they are basically merging the iPod shuffle and nano together, and discontinuing the shuffle (maybe not right away).

I also predict they will discontinue the iPod classic.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
There's no much point downsizing the current nano screen, especially considering the video features.
There is when you are trying to sell people on the new iPod touch which will have even better video features. I suspect the video features of the nano were incredibly underused, and it just added to the cost of production which Apple doesn't like.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
The tiny little touchscreen could work really well as a replacement for the clickwheel. The clickwheel is a touch based control after all.

This might be a new model they'll sell alongside the old-style nano for now and see what people make of it. I could see myself wanting one to use at the gym.

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Neil "Nostradamus" Curtis Predictions

ok, here is my tought and I'm curious how exact my "nostradamus" prediction was when we hear what apple is going to show on 1st of september:

- first: apple is going to scrap the ipod classic! it doesn't make any sense anymore, apple can not sell apps with it and if they double the touch's ram to 128 GB the ipod touch is a good (but expensive) replacement.

- many people will be sad about this, but the ipod classic will re-appear as a limited "10 years ipod" edition in october 2012. to remove the classic from the product line makes this "limited edition" classic even more interesting in 2 years. a clever move!

- from now on, the ipod touch is going to be the main ipod. it will get a fresh new design and will have 16, 64 and 128 GB of ram and will cost 199 / 299 and 399 US$. it will get a camera and a higher resolution retina display and a gyroscope sensor.

- the target market will be music, games and the video filmers that used the nano to film. to different the ipod touch from the iphone it will NOT have a frontfacing camera and therefore NO facetime. it will also have a weaker camera compared to the iphone (3mp) but be a bit thinner.

- big changes to the nano: it is going to loose the camera and the clickwheel but will come in a very fresh and small square-formfactor. the device will be controlled via a squared multitouch display and a new user interface that will be based on cd covers but also lists like on the old nano. it will be shipped with the remote control headphones like the shuffle with volume and middle click button to skip, forward and start/stop the music. you will also be able to use the nano without looking at the display in a way like the ipod shuffle with voice output.

- a 4 GB nano will be sold at 99 US$, the 8 GB at 139 and the 16 GB one at 179 us$. to save money, apple might remove the dock connector and the dock. instead the nano will be powered with a tiny cable that is plugged into the audio-connector. there will also be a little clip on the backside to clip the nano onto a shirt. the nano will come in black and white as well as red, pink, blue, yellow and green.

- as the nano is so small now and agressively priced, they might scrap the ipod shuffle completely. remember: the nano can now be used like a shuffle and when the nano is in your pocket, it will behave similar like a shuffle, it will have the same remote control and the same voice output.

to clear up the product line has many advantages for apple. the removal of the ipod classic means the end of harddisks and its moving parts in the ipods. it also forces the people to buy an ipod touch which will broaden the customer base for the app store and apps mean money. the faster chip and the higher resolution will seduce old touch users to upgrade to the new touch and developers can focus on one resolution rather than two (actually 3 if you also count the ipad). apple is also playing the "want more...?" game with 16 GB ram for the entry touch but 64 for "only" 100 us$ more or another 100 us$ if you want to have the same space like in the old classic ipod.

even removing the shuffle has some advantages for apple: 99 us$ is a very seductive price for "ipod beginners", but still more than the 59 us$ they charged for the old shuffle. they will get 40 us$ more per beginner that would have bought a shuffle and is now forced to buy the tiny nano.

shortperson1026

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
To this guy^^^, RAM is not how large the hard drive is. The flash memory is what holds the data, not the RAM.

I think several things will happen:

1) iPod Touch Upgrade
- front facing vga camera
- back facing 3.0+ MP camera
- in-built microphone
- retina display
- gyroscope
- new aluminum backing
- LED camera flash
- 16 GB model for 250$
- 32 GB model for 300$
- 64 GB model for 400$
- same battery life

2) iPod Shuffle
- discontinued

3) iPod Classic
- Price drop, same memory, same colors.

4) iPod Nano
- replaced with new product line.

5) New Product
- unknown name
- 1:1 aspect ratio on a small touch display
- possible vga resolution video, no still image capture yet
- physical volume and lock buttons
- full 30 pin dock connection
- new built from the ground firmware, no modified iOS

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
the removal of the ipod classic means the end of harddisks and its moving parts in the ipods. it also forces the people to buy an ipod touch which will broaden the customer base for the app store and apps mean money.
There is a problem with that. Many iPod Classic users just want a container to carry all their music around, and nothing else. Now with the exception of DRM'd music, which is on its way out anyway, there is nothing stopping anyone to build a player that can play MP3 and AAC music, grab the playlists from iTunes and copy everything to that player (reading the complete contents of the iTunes library is exactly two lines of code in MacOS X). And that is all that many classic users want.

So stopping the iPod classic is a really good opportunity for someone else to replace iPods with a different player. At the moment, if someone wants a new player, they check Apple's website, order the iPod Classic that they want, done. If there is no iPod Classic, they won't just go to a more expensive iPod Touch, but they will start looking around.

My iPod gets turned on when I sit down in the car, starts playing, gets turned off when I arrive. It could easily be replaced by another player if those idiots learned that I want to play AAC, not MP3, and that I want to use iTunes (and I won't buy any Microsoft products because I suffer enough from their products every day).

What if

3x3 touchscreen in place and nano stays widescreen. Yes. Maybe.. :confused:
I think if the nano has a touch screen that covers the complete surface, with a simulated click wheel or just a touch interface, then they should change the shape. A screen filling the complete current iPod Nano surface would be 23:10 or close. Make it a little bit wider and less high to 16:10 with the same area of the iPod Nano, and it would be significantly better showing videos, photos and album art.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I wonder when the first "watch strap" case for this rumoured new nano will come out. I hope it comes with a full screen analogue clock application! And that the headphone jack would be accessible in such a situation (or it includes Bluetooth for suitable headphones).

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
ok, here is my tought and I'm curious how exact my "nostradamus" prediction was when we hear what apple is going to show on 1st of september:

- first: apple is going to scrap the ipod classic! it doesn't make any sense anymore, apple can not sell apps with it and if they double the touch's ram to 128 GB the ipod touch is a good (but expensive) replacement.

- many people will be sad about this, but the ipod classic will re-appear as a limited "10 years ipod" edition in october 2012. to remove the classic from the product line makes this "limited edition" classic even more interesting in 2 years. a clever move!

- from now on, the ipod touch is going to be the main ipod. it will get a fresh new design and will have 16, 64 and 128 GB of ram and will cost 199 / 299 and 399 US$. it will get a camera and a higher resolution retina display and a gyroscope sensor.

- the target market will be music, games and the video filmers that used the nano to film. to different the ipod touch from the iphone it will NOT have a frontfacing camera and therefore NO facetime. it will also have a weaker camera compared to the iphone (3mp) but be a bit thinner.

- big changes to the nano: it is going to loose the camera and the clickwheel but will come in a very fresh and small square-formfactor. the device will be controlled via a squared multitouch display and a new user interface that will be based on cd covers but also lists like on the old nano. it will be shipped with the remote control headphones like the shuffle with volume and middle click button to skip, forward and start/stop the music. you will also be able to use the nano without looking at the display in a way like the ipod shuffle with voice output.

- a 4 GB nano will be sold at 99 US$, the 8 GB at 139 and the 16 GB one at 179 us$. to save money, apple might remove the dock connector and the dock. instead the nano will be powered with a tiny cable that is plugged into the audio-connector. there will also be a little clip on the backside to clip the nano onto a shirt. the nano will come in black and white as well as red, pink, blue, yellow and green.

- as the nano is so small now and agressively priced, they might scrap the ipod shuffle completely. remember: the nano can now be used like a shuffle and when the nano is in your pocket, it will behave similar like a shuffle, it will have the same remote control and the same voice output.

to clear up the product line has many advantages for apple. the removal of the ipod classic means the end of harddisks and its moving parts in the ipods. it also forces the people to buy an ipod touch which will broaden the customer base for the app store and apps mean money. the faster chip and the higher resolution will seduce old touch users to upgrade to the new touch and developers can focus on one resolution rather than two (actually 3 if you also count the ipad). apple is also playing the "want more...?" game with 16 GB ram for the entry touch but 64 for "only" 100 us$ more or another 100 us$ if you want to have the same space like in the old classic ipod.

even removing the shuffle has some advantages for apple: 99 us$ is a very seductive price for "ipod beginners", but still more than the 59 us$ they charged for the old shuffle. they will get 40 us$ more per beginner that would have bought a shuffle and is now forced to buy the tiny nano.

Your post is interesting but for the love of god please stop saying "xxGB of RAM" when you mean storage capacity. Two completely different things.

pavenger

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA

You predict no facetime front camera but your set on a real camera? Are you just pulling these predictions out of thin air? we have already seen the front faces of the ipod touch and it has a whole identical in size to the iphone's facetime camera, however, you say that it WILL have a rear camera but we have seen little to no evidence supporting that other than hearsay... okay.

If it gets a camera at all, which i think it will, it will be facetime way before a rear facing camera. the VGA camera for facetime costs $1 and encourages their push to creating an open standard for video calling. additionally, it gives iphone 4 users someone to actually facetime with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.