Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
That's my concern. With numerous reports of the iPhone 5 being bent, this puppy is even thinner.

If you know anything about industrial design you'll realize the the curved sides shape will make it much stronger and resistant to bending (the arch shape is the strongest geometry possible).

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
So what would everyone prefer, a cell phone with no cell coverage?

Pretty sure Apple did their due-diligence with this and this was the best solution they came up with. The colored bands are a great improvement to the other ones we've seen that were almost white

A unibody phone made with liquidmetal would have coverage. That was the whole point.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The bands look like a good design decision.

Firstly they are needed to seperate the metal panels (just like htc one).

Unlike the htc one, the outer band around the edge cover the edges of the device, because they are convex, they are thick. The htc one didnt do this - resulting in damage to the small panels when dropped and landing on bottom or top edge of phone.

Once you are set on thick bands around the edges, the brand across the device needs to be the same thickness - other wise it will be even more ugly.

I wouldn't be surprised if these bands and sapphire are explained as making the phone near indestructible - something you can't do with glass panels of iphone5,

except the htc one actually looks good... flows better to me. i don't think I've ever seen an iPhone 5 5s back panel glass pieces ever shatter on anybody's phone. dropping this phone will leave about the same amount of damage as phones right now. less cracked glass because it will be more flush this time around.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
That's my concern. With numerous reports of the iPhone 5 being bent, this puppy is even thinner.

My teen and pre-teen grandsons have iPods that are about that thin, and they are rough as hell on them. We've had a few shattered screens and one dunked in the "potty" but no structural damage due to the thinness of the device.

In general I doubt this will be a problem for most users.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
So the antenna bands are real? Damn it. It is disgustingly ugly. It's extremely disappointing to see that Apple couldn't figure out a better design for the antenna. It is not pleasing aesthetically at all.

Should really put a big fat IMO in front of that.

Looks great to me.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
i dont know why people hate on it. it looks a lot better than the ugly back of the iphone 5/5S with its different colored bits

cant wait

STEP 1: Hate on leaked iPhone 4 pics. STEP 2: Love iPhone 4. Hate iPhone 5 leaked pics. STEP 3: Love iPhone 5. Hate leaked iPhone 6 pics.

Wash, rinse, repeat. People violently reject the unfamiliar, get familiar with it, then hate whatever is unfamiliar the next time. The finished product will be great. Between the bigger screen, new design, ios 8, Yosemite, and the "iWatch", this will be the best Fall for Apple fans in several years.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Golden products (iPhone 5s) - Super shiny products (2013 mac pro) - Bands & stripes (iPhone 6). Yep. Tim Cook Era. So what's next Tim? Glitter?

You must have missed the polka dot iMac Steve Jobs pushed out when the original iMac design and specs were getting long in the tooth. Or maybe you thought that model was brilliant. I'm not a huge Cook fan (yet -- could change on the 9th) but that's really a cheap shot. There is only so many ways to hide an antenna.

imacdalmation_i.jpg

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm really excited for this. I don't know why everyone is complaining, those thick bands look fine, nothing wrong with it. If those thick bands will increase reception I'm all for it. Just hope IP6 will have better battery life.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
So what would everyone prefer, a cell phone with no cell coverage?

Pretty sure Apple did their due-diligence with this and this was the best solution they came up with. The colored bands are a great improvement to the other ones we've seen that were almost white

If they need to put thick bands on the back that spoil the look of the phone (to most non-fanboys it seems) yet every other manufacturer manages more elegant solutions then maybe Apple are taking the wrong approach to their antenna/case design? Just a thought.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
Bands...

Jony Ive: "We have elegantly implemented diamond cut, micron-precise fitted plastic bands, not only for superior reception purposes, but because Apple has scientifically proven that bands, do indeed, make her dance".

In case you're curious about my stance on the bands, they're fine with me.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Everyone relax. Those pictures are PROTOTYPES. Do you really think they'd release a phone with those bands? I have ZERO inside knowledge but I can guarantee these photos are not the finished product. Give them a little more credit, people. Those know good design (look at any of the previous iPhones)

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Yup. I'd love to have a breakdown of how many of those here ranting about the ugly bands are ranting about Apple.com, VZW.com, and AT&T.com being down at 3am on the day of preorders bc they want to have their phone on launch day.

Who are we kidding -Apple will see 10m-15m on the first 3 days availability.

Changing topics is this upgrade fee from AT&T new - I am familiar with activation fee - this folks want people to use NEXT

http://www.att.com/shop/Upper_Funnel_Promo_Modals/Wireless_Promo_Modals/next_whatsthis_modal.html

Initial smartphone cost $199.99

Activation fee $40.00
Upgrade fee $40.00

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Jony Ive: "We have elegantly implemented diamond cut, micron-precise fitted plastic bands, not only for superior reception purposes, but because Apple has scientifically proven that bands, do indeed, make her dance".

In case you're curious about my stance on the bands, they're fine with me.

Close but I'm guessing Jony would never use the word "plastic" to describe anything Apple makes - whether it's plastic or not.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
Close but I'm guessing Jony would never use the word "plastic" to describe anything Apple makes - whether it's plastic or not.

I struggled with that word because I felt the same. However, I wanted to keep true to what the material is alleged to be. Apple will probably say they created some new form of plastic and have some elegant name for it.

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I agree, I don't see the point of a case. It's kind of like buying a Ferrari and then driving around with a cover over the top....defeats the purpose.

Phones are much easier to drop than a Ferrari. Most phones I see are in a case.
Having it in a case has saved my phone a few times. A little extra protection is a good thing in my book.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Should really put a big fat IMO in front of that.

Looks great to me.

Well, he wrote it, that’s kind of implied since it’s subjective. :)

Looks great to me too. :cool: I really dig on the bands, I’ve mentioned this before, I think it’s an interesting design aesthetic that’s also likely very functional.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
Not a big fan of the antenna breaks at all, I guess we will have to wait and see what it looks like all assembled. What usually sells it to me, are the press shots that they always release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.