More Hints of an 'iPhone Nano' from Case Manufacturers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

iPhone case manufacturer XSKN has labeled a section on their site for the "iPhone Nano". This description suggests that long running rumors of a miniaturized iPhone could be true.

XSKN gained some notoriety earlier this year when it began selling cases for the then-unreleased iPhone 3G. The company again received headlines in September with case images of unreleased 4th Generation iPod Nano designs. Both times, some readers had questioned if these were simply publicity stunts, though both sets of images later turned out to be accurate.

This time, XSKN has not published images of the purported "iPhone Nano", but iDealsChina did so earlier this month. While we don't believe XSKN or any case manufacturers have official knowledge of Apple's future plans, there is enormous financial incentive for these companies to obtain early information about Apple's next product.

To add more uncertainty into the mix, we've heard that some of Apple's initial plans for Macworld may have been delayed. So, even if an iPhone Nano was originally in the works, we're not sure when we'll actually see one.

Article Link: More Hints of an 'iPhone Nano' from Case Manufacturers

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
The iPhone is just taking off as a development platform. They really don't want to split development in to two models at this stage. But at the same time they need to keep the product momentum going. It all depends on how they do it -- the iPhone and iPhone nano need to run all the same programs.

7egend

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
weeee.

I see nothing wrong with having more choices in iPhone models, I really would like to see the iPhone Nano and iPhone sitting side by side in stores, some people like full size devices, and others like smaller devices. It would be like using a thin iPod Classic with a full touch Screen as a Phone, and would probably come in 4GB and 8GB models.

Not to mention with the reduction in materials and size of Flash memory the iPhone Nano could be offered at that $99 everyone seems so "gung-ho" about wanting. This would also keep Apple from cutting it's balls off by having to reduce the iPhone 3G's price down which would cut into their profits and plus would probably give them a great market share in the mobile phone sector by offering two models.

I, myself though wouldn't buy one of these devices, but for a teenager that wants an iPhone and a Parent that is worried about dropping $200 on a phone that will be lost, cracked, stolen or otherwised dissmembered is a perfect selling point.

/me shrugs

Choice is always good though.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
The iPhone is just taking off as a development platform. They really don't want to split development in to two models at this stage. But at the same time they need to keep the product momentum going. It all depends on how they do it -- the iPhone and iPhone nano need to run all the same programs.
Definatly. Maybe an iPhone nano could have a higher resolution screen, so apps can be used on both. But then we'd all need fingers like pencils...

Wonder what Apple will do here, if it's true that is.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
i miss the days when things used to be a surprise to the consumer. now, every new concept/idea gets spoiled before it's actually released.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
www.lucasland.com
no safari or mail

iphone nano is coming out but it will not have safari or mail. it will have ipod feature and embrace app store.

If you want to surf the net then the iphone nano will not be for you

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
i miss the days when things used to be a surprise to the consumer. now, every new concept/idea gets spoiled before it's actually released.
If you want to be suprised on Christmas stop looking for your presents early, like wise, if you want to be suprised on new releases stop reading rumor sites :p

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not to mention with the reduction in materials and size of Flash memory the iPhone Nano could be offered at that $99 everyone seems so "gung-ho" about wanting.
Not a chance.

Macbook - $999
Mackbook Air- $1,799

Smaller and less capable, but costs more. It will be the same thing with an iPhone Nano. Well, maybe not 'more' in the case of the phone, but I'm certain any Nano phone would cost the SAME as the current iPhones.

There are a ton of reasons, but I can shorten it down to this: They're the exact same reasons the Air costs more than the Macbook. And that's reality. What more do I need to say?

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
My prediction for a iPhone nano will be a $99 or less phone that will be simple compared to the iPhone 3G. Just as the iPod nano does only ipod stuff (no internet, apps, mail, etc) when compared to the iPod Touch, the iPhone nano will be a simple phone. Basic internet if at all, sms, phone, ipod. That's it. No apps. This phone will not require a $30 a month data plan either, which will appeal to a lot of people.

They are going to want to differentiate between the standard, full on iPhone and the inexpensive less featured nano version. This is the phone that could potentially create a huge marketshare for Apple. Just as the ipod nano is the big seller and the reason the ipod line carries a 70+% marketshare now.

hectors92

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2007
air

I can see them making a thinner , toned down iPhone like they did with the MacBook Air; any reduction in screen size would render the device unusable. So it wouldn't be a nano but an Air, though unlike the Macbook Air I can see them making the iPhone Air cheaper, just my $0.02.

marcol

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Norwich, UK
I don't know how you'll be able to type on a screen that is significantly smaller than the current iPhone. I really hope this rumor is not true.
Landscape keyboard?

I think an iPhone with a 2.7-inch, 320 x 480 screen could work with minimal changes to the UI (universal landscape keyboard would definitely be one change required though).

bruinsrme

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
I'll be REALLY disappointed if this turns out to be yet another iPhone focussed Macworld
Whatelse does apple have to brag about.
Unless they are going to announce HDMI, Blu-ray, firewire, or other goodies in their up coming real version of a mac pro.

The iphone nano will be a cool gadget but like the mac pro will probably lack the hardware ad functionality the consumer hs gotten used to and/or expects in a new purchase

Yr Blues

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
1. I bet the interface is in landscape only. That way you can still have a full keyboard and you won't compromise a lot of apps.

2. I also think that the nano might not have 3G internet, and they might have gutted that feature to get it smaller and cheaper. Wi-Fi is a must, though.

3. The home-button looks weird on this rumor-pic. There might be a new way to get to the home-screen.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Whatelse does apple have to brag about.
Unless they are going to announce HDMI, Blu-ray, firewire, or other goodies in their up coming real version of a mac pro.

The iphone nano will be a cool gadget but like the mac pro will probably lack the hardware ad functionality the consumer hs gotten used to and/or expects in a new purchase
well maybe it's time for apple to actually think about HDMI and Blu-ray...the iPhone is too expensive (at least in the UK) and having it on one network is a deal breaker for me because the tariff is rubbish compared to other networks.

I agree the iPhone nano would be a cool gadget but they should actually concentrate on computers for once.

Ceebler

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Network?

Assuming the rumor of an iPhone Nano were true, would Apple's agreement with AT&T require it to be exclusive to their network or would this be a phone that Apple could sell on any network it chose because it is a different product?