Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I just read the whole story on the front page. Seems like this idea may be delayed until after Macworld. This may then be the real reason why we won't be getting a keynote from Jobs. He certainly can't do a keynote with no new product to anounce, so let Phil be that one. Maybe Apple just recently realized they weren't going to have this product done in time, so Jobs pulled out of the keynote.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If it's true, it is going to kill the iPhone altogether.

That's my opinion.

Well, they will just have to cripple it to a certain degree. This can do this mostly by storage size and functionality (maybe no Safari)?

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
This is seven months away but...

The next Gen iPhone will feature an larger 200 ppi edge to edge screen, with a true 5MP motorised 3x optical focus video camera. It will incorporate a seriously new more powerful cpu and gpu hardware platform all round. This will still be locked to a contract provider

Gen 3 apps will need to be re-compiled for the new hardware and the performance will unleash a massive wave of new style games.

The iPhone Nano will be 20% smaller than current iPhone but the higher ppi and edge to edge screen will mean the res is the same - and it will run all the current iPhone apps. Essentially it will be the current iPhone in a smaller neater package still running all the current apps. It will not be locked to any provider.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
If Apple releases a $50 phone, with similar features to the iPhone, they will absolutely dominate the cell phone market.

for ppl who are willing to pay $70+/month for their subscription it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether the phone costs $249, $199, $149, $99 or $49.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I had heard previously that because of the difference in screen size that some of the apps. would not be compatible. Going into what some of you guys are saying, they would have to split development between the two platforms. Also my main concern would be the typing, people with larger fingers already have difficulty typing on the iPhone, I could not imagine them trying to type on something even smaller.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hopefully the footprint around the device is thinner, rather than the display being smaller. That said I'd probably get an smaller iPhone that didn't have a web browser, just a phone+iPod but still with wifi, 16gb storage etc.
I'd get that over a regular iPhone.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
This is seven months away but...

The next Gen iPhone will feature an larger 200 ppi edge to edge screen, with a true 5MP motorised 3x optical focus video camera. It will incorporate a seriously new more powerful cpu and gpu hardware platform all round. This will still be locked to a contract provider

Gen 3 apps will need to be re-compiled for the new hardware and the performance will unleash a massive wave of new style games.

The iPhone Nano will be 20% smaller than current iPhone and will run all the current iPhone apps. Essentially it will be the current iPhone in a smaller neater package still running all the current apps. It will not be locked to any provider.

Seven months away huh? This is your prediction obviously. Let's hope that Apple incorporates some of the things you are hoping for. I would love to see a better camera, but a 5MP camera with a 3X optical focus will significantly raise the prices from the current $199 to $299 price set.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I think an iPhone Nano would be a bigger seller than the iPhone. Totally change the mobile handset business.

If it was just a phone with an iPod, it's another path to the full iPhone (parallel to the iPod Touch).

So, no internet, no GPS, just a phone, SMS and maybe a camera (as well as the iPod of course). Calendar and Contacts syncing, could be the icing on the cake, but I don't see iPhone Nano users into that side of things as much.

It would have to work better as a phone than iPhone, i.e. when you turn it on or unlock it, you should have simple phone function first (number pad at bottom of the screen and favourites at the top of the screen) and iPod second.

The big question is Apps or not? I think it could work without Apps - keep the price down and keep it simple for people that just want a phone and an iPod.

And the screen size? Well, it could be same resolution, just smaller (like they did with G3 iPod Nano). That would save some of the problems, but it wouldn't be the first time Apple changed resolution and let developers sort it out...

BVeritas

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Think this is real and mainly to solve the China Mobil problem and provide a cheaper model for India. China Mobil doesn't have 3G (uses a Chinese standard to avoid licensing), but it does handle 2G.

So, the phone would be a small iPhone with the same resolution and landscape keyboard, no 3G, no GPS, has wifi, has camera. Eliminating 3G and GPS will lessen the components considerably, thus power usage and price.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
hmm, I think the iPhone nano will remove the top and bottom (or at least reduce the size considerably) and still keep the same display size. The home button will be relocated, either at the top (Im thinking of a power turn on-off and home button hybrid, meaning that you slide the button to on and when it is in "on" state, you can push it which will function similar to the home button and when you slide back the button to off, you cant push it anymore.) or the side, or maybe they just reduce the home button size considerably, maybe even change its shape to horizontal to accommodate the reduced top and bottom size while maintaining click ability.

cxcheng

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
I personally think it'd be a great seller for Apple to have an iPod that happens also to be a phone - no internet, no apps, no GPS. Just SMS and possibly a camera. Touchscreen can be smaller and lower resolution since the entire screen can be used for the keyboard.

It is not meant for us iPhone users. It is meant for people who complain that the iPhone is too big (I have quite a few friends who think that way) and for people who find the monthly fees too expensive and contract too restrictive. Most people like that don't care or don't know about apps, and wouldn't bother much with internet surfing or mobile games. For Apple, it's much easier to sell the phone through any carrier or directly. It would not cannibalize iPhone sales, but it would provide for an excellent future path for iPods which is beginning to hit a dead end. In the future, there'll not be a pure iPod, it'll be iPhone+iPod.

Now further down the path when mobile broadband becomes more ubiquitous and when people form the habit to pay for it, Apple can always introduce a new class of apps which are more like 'widgets' for primarily read-only purposes such as weather info, Twitter or RSS feeds. And yes, I don't think they'll shy away from making developers work on a new format because they are Apple.

Now I doubt a big change like that can happen at this MacWorld without much news and rumors so I think it probably is not going to happen so soon yet.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
This is awful

come on apple.

If this is true, i will officially kill myself.

They have released many revisions of the iphone/touch already.
Why another...
-Sam:apple::apple::rolleyes:

They've also released like ten times the amount of revisions for the Macbook (assuming you count the powerbooks)...yet they still decided to release the Macbook Air...

Those "revisions" are just the normal hardware upgrade that Apple normally does...it's not like there's a whole different line of iPod touch/iPhones.

Of course I agree in that I too will join you in the killing of oneself.

True, but perhaps they will reduce the storage. You could have a cheap phone that holds quite a few apps with 1GB, but it wouldn't be much of an iPod. It seems to me at the moment the storage is one of the biggest costs involved.

Not really...the 1 GB iPod shuffles are still $49, and that's without a screen. The screen is the largest cost, I believe (material wise...labor and research and programming and all that are more expensive). Then it might be either storage or the processor.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Why couldn't the 'iPhone Nano' be just a nano + a phone? It doesn't need a touch screen, it doesn't need the app store. If you want those upgrade to the iPhone. If you want to consolidate your phone and media player (with superior media player capabilities) the NanoPhone would be perfect. If you want data / app store etc you get the full iPhone. This would let them target two different markets, and make great secondary phones for families with one iPhone already.

This is much simpler.

Downsides to this is it doesn't further the appstore model. Upsides is the iPhone doesn't get a fractured platform.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
i miss the days when things used to be a surprise to the consumer. now, every new concept/idea gets spoiled before it's actually released.

Its the friggin chinese case manufacturers! Can't Apple punish these companies for being so careless? No wait, the problem is that these companies do not care PERIOD about Apple secrecy. It would be nice if Jobs could find a way to deal with this.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I hate to sound reasonable, but...as much as I love typing on the iPhone (It's fast, easy, and really great), if you cut the size of the screen like that...it just won't work. Typing will be a hassle, rather than something easy.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
If Apple releases a $50 phone, with similar features to the iPhone, they will absolutely dominate the cell phone market.

I've got a better idea: why don't they PAY every American $100 to use an iPhone??

That way, they'll have near 100% adoption and be rolling in the dough...!

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
iPhone Nano rumors

This could be true, but IMHO, it'll be one of Apple's less impressive products if they go this route.

The people who basically "just want a phone to be a phone" (perhaps with MP3 playing/purchasing capabilities) have plenty of choices on the market already.

(Remember the fate of the Motorola Rokr phone? Sounds an awful lot like what this "iPhone nano" might be like, if you're correct. Not exactly thrilling.)

iphone nano is coming out but it will not have safari or mail. it will have ipod feature and embrace app store.

If you want to surf the net then the iphone nano will not be for you

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
1. I bet the interface is in landscape only. That way you can still have a full keyboard and you won't compromise a lot of apps.

2. I also think that the nano might not have 3G internet, and they might have gutted that feature to get it smaller and cheaper. Wi-Fi is a must, though.

3. The home-button looks weird on this rumor-pic. There might be a new way to get to the home-screen.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/12/15/061816-iPhone-9_425.jpg

My theory on how this will work?

The iphone nano will NOT be connected to the app store. Its going to be itunes dock connected only. They might let email on it but I dunno about that. Its going to be a phone plus ipod and thats about it. Its definately going to be $99.00 with contract or perhaps pre-paid.
Its going to be the poor man's iphone.

But with Apple taking so many features out of this phone to make the deal work...its going to lose its appeal with a lot of users.
Lets see what happens.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
So no rumors of an iPhone Shuffle then.

They could do this as a bluetooth modem, however. All you would need is one button. Pair it to a laptop with bluetooth by holding down the button and typing the passkey on your laptop. Then, automatically connect by pushing the button to connect to the laptop and the network.

No USB or Expresscard slot needed. No software. Easy to setup and use in five minutes. Can be sold with a data plan for about $100.

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I would quite happily buy a smaller iPhone. Currently I have a Touch and I find it too bulky to carry around. So a smaller phone with a screen 3 icons wide would be just fine, and they can scale the keyboard the same way they do now between portrait and landscape on the Touch, its fine.

I do recall Apple telling developers to develop resolution independent applications for OSX10.5 using a new API, this was before the iPhone was released, so you can be sure that the OS is supporting a smaller iPhone.

A narrow screen would also be fine for movies, I find most of mine are letter-boxed anyway. Its getting pretty small, but you can't have it all....

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
My theory on how this will work?

The iphone nano will NOT be connected to the app store. Its going to be itunes dock connected only. They might let email on it but I dunno about that. Its going to be a phone plus ipod and thats about it. Its definately going to be $99.00 with contract or perhaps pre-paid.
Its going to be the poor man's iphone.

But with Apple taking so many features out of this phone to make the deal work...its going to lose its appeal with a lot of users.
Lets see what happens.

I think it WILL be connected to the app store - why would Apple loose out on all the revenue?

Will have no GPS though or camera, and maybe loose AT&T exclusivity?

Kind of a smaller iPod Touch with just a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.