Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
In am loving using mine. It is fast, intuitive and a pleasure to use.

I look forward to a few of the apps I need coming such as iDisk connectivity (other than the iPhone app) and a printing function would be nice down the road but I can send anything easily enough to a Mac but it is an extra step. One thing for sure is iPhone apps are a no go, once you have used a full screen iPad app there is no going back but I expect they will be coming fast.

Only real problem is having only one. Once my wife tried it she would not give it back.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Fast

This thing is FAST!!!!

Way faster than expected.

Screen is beautiful -- Enterprise and Captain Kirk looks great on it.

Webpages load in faster than new iMac i7 on same network.

Wow.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I've had only 2 hours with mine, so I'm sure I'll have more to say after a few weeks of actual use.

First reaction: It's snappy and responsive. I've been using the simulator iPad on my iMac for a month. My experience was that the physical devices are slower than the simulator -- so I wasn't expecting great performance. I was pleasantly surprised.

Typing is easier than I thought it would be as well. On my first generation iPhone, the keys would sometimes lag, and I'd end up typing slowly and watching to make sure the key presses registered. In Landscape mode on a flat surface, I can type full out, no pauses.

The speakers are better than I expected, not as good as MacBook, but much better than iPhone.

The apps look beautiful, the photo app is really something.

The only negative I can think of so far, is the weight. It's a little heavier than I expected. I probably won't be holding this for long periods of time like I might do with the little Kindle or iPhone. I end up resting it on my leg, or table top. Now that I see how I'm holding it, I'll be taking a look at cases.

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
You have to leave the desk with one -- sit on the sofa with it -- to really grasp how it will begin to change lifestyles.

So much more enjoyable than a laptop/netbook.

It just changes the whole experience. I am hooked.

Going to have a hard time producing client content today -- I want to CONSUME it.

The YouTube iPad interface is beautiful:D

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You have to leave the desk with one -- sit on the sofa with it -- to really grasp how it will begin to change lifestyles.

So much more enjoyable than a laptop/netbook.

It just changes the whole experience. I am hooked.

Going to have a hard time producing client content today -- I want to CONSUME it.

The YouTube iPad interface is beautiful:D

Glad to hear you're loving it. :)

Told ya. But you already knew it would be something special. ;)

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Dear fanboyz:

Please stop with the nonsense about it being "fast" or "snappy." Hello, it is a unitasker. You know what that means? Only one program open at any given time.

So of course seems fast. So are laptops and desktops, the difference being laptops and desktops can multitask. You know, multitask, i.e. being able to actually use your machine to accomplish something more than surf TMZ.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Glad to hear you're loving it. :)

Told ya. But you already knew it would be something special. ;)

You're right -- I knew it would be special from the start. Been really preaching about this from day one.

But there is a difference from imagining this and having the forethought or vision that it would great and then finally using it and realizing -- via touch, feel and experience --- that it really is a game changer.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Dear fanboyz:

Please stop with the nonsense about it being "fast" or "snappy." Hello, it is a unitasker. You know what that means? Only one program open at any given time.

So of course seems fast. So are laptops and desktops, the difference being laptops and desktops can multitask. You know, multitask, i.e. being able to actually use your machine to accomplish something more than surf TMZ.

Clearly you are not using one.

Just benchmarked same website on new iMac i7 Quad with 8 gig ram, no other open apps, and iPAD -- iPAD loads same site considerably faster.

Get the experience to speak in an informed manner.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Wow

I'm in my local Apple store now typing on a demo iPad. It really is remarkable. And apparently a lot of other people think so. This place is a mob scene. My wife was at this mall earlier today and there was a waiting line stretching down the hall for people who had reserved an iPad or were waiting to buy one. The crowd hasn't seemed to let up. The sales figures on Monday should be pretty interesting.

And BTW, the keyboard isn't too bad. :)

MacAttraction

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2006
Dear fanboyz:

Oh....ok
So you admit Apple is right in not implementing multitasking in theses mobile machines ... for better user interactvity .... ok that settles it .... I am getting one !

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I'm in my local Apple store now typing on a demo iPad. It really is remarkable. And apparently a lot of other people think so. This place is a mob scene. My wife was at this mall earlier today and there was a waiting line stretching down the hall for people who had reserved an iPad or were waiting to buy one. The crowd hasn't seemed to let up. The sales figures on Monday should be pretty interesting.

And BTW, the keyboard isn't too bad. :)

Yes it took me 5 minutes with keyboard and now I love it. My first reaction was eeeewwwwww, then I hung in there, adjusted my fingers and now I am getting it. Like it a lot. Better but very very different feel than iphone.

Local Salt Lake City Apple Store has huge line

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Impressed

Was in the store this morning buying docks for my iPad 3G and tryed out the iPad on display.

First of all it was damm noisy in the store, sales reps cheering everytime someone bought one, which was frequent.

With the sound turned up all the way to hear over the noise I noticed that the back of the iPad actually vibrated in my hand. :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

If the app is not designed for the iPad, the text will be pixilated some when the app is 2x'ed to fit the screen.

Fast. nothing else to be said… Fast

I wish it had a camera, I think we may see that down the road on both phone and iPad when 4G (LTE) arrives.

I am going to lov the iBook feature. Great easy to read and the font size can be adjusted along with the font. For those Helvetica freaks out there.

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Why would you do that when you can by multi-gig usb drives the size of a small piece of gum?

Because I just bought a 500-830 device and it would be nice if I could use it instead of buying and carry another device, no matter how small.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
Dear fanboyz:

Dear ignorant fool:

the new processor is a custom-designed apple A4 chip and thus truly provides all the "fast" and "snappy" interactions - even with a multi-touch interface instead of traditional keyboard/mouse. multitasking would provide little benefit as each program opens up just as fast as switching between open apps. and, just as on the iphone, you can listen to itunes in the background while working on any other apps...

nice try...

saturn79

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
I am typing this on my friends new 64 gb iPad. This device is incredibly smooth and responsive and, not to mention, blazing fast. It feels more intuitive than any other device I have ever played around with.

This makes me really want one of these :/ Maybe I'll sneak it out of his house when he isn't looking :D

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
what about iPad as removable hard drive? Is it still locked like the iPhone?

There is a feature called "File Sharing" under the Apps tab in iTunes when you are syncing your iPad.

You can drag and drop files (or click "Add..." or "Save to...") to grab files from your computer and drop them onto your iPad and vis versa. The files are associated with a single app (like Pages, or Numbers, or your PDF reader app, etc.)

I loaded up Pages and Numbers with a bunch of docs and spreadsheets for my current project with a couple quick drag and drops.

It's a little different than the old-style iPod shared folder.

I'm sure there will be more and more "cloud storage", "air sharing", and "file locker" apps now that iTunes has this ability.

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
Dear ignorant fool:
multitasking would provide little benefit as each program opens up just as fast as switching between open apps. and, just as on the iphone, you can listen to itunes in the background while working on any other apps...

nice try...

This really is true.

You might loose a second over true multitasking. Apps open so fast and are so responsive that it really can make multitasking somewhat of a moot point.

I am testing this now as I develop a presentation in Keynote, switching back and forth to email and notepad.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Got mine this morning. Seems pretty sweet so far. The large screen really makes it a pleasure to use.

No fast typing on this thing though. The hurdle to overcome seems to be prettied large. I'm thinking it could use a different style of keyboard. One that would easily allow all thumbs typing. Although right now I
M touch typing fairly fast and it seems to autocorrectfnfiarly well. Well sort of.

I'm thinking either a cellphone keyboard option or making keys smaller and moving them to the sides of the screens or rethinking the keyboard layout completely for thumb typing.

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
multitasking would provide little benefit as each program opens up just as fast as switching between open apps.

BS.

Ipad way: you're working on a 20-page report, a word processing document. You need some information contained in a 200-page pdf. So to get the info out of the pdf, you close your Pages document. Then open the pdf, search what you are looking for. Cut and paste. Then reopen your word processing document, find the spot you were last working in, and paste in the info. Need something else from the pdf? Have fun doing that 20 times in a row.

Multitask way: open both word processor and pdf. Switch between both, instantly, while they remain open and running -- side by side on your screen.

You tell me which is faster. Want to try again?

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Trolls

BTW, why do so many people on MacRumours take the time to respond to trolls? I feel like i'm in high school again, and someone is calling someone else a nerd, so they feel compelled to respond "No I'm not", instead of just continuing with the game of D&D that they were enjoying. You must realize that in this game, you lose by being distracted from what you enjoy, and they win by getting to have an arguement in which they derive pleasure simply by being antagonistic.

If you're enjoying your iPad, great. Keep on posting and skim past anything aimed at "fanboyz". Just enjoy your new toy.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Dear fanboyz:

Dear People Who Do Not Actually Have One,

You look silly when you tell people who have actually been using it why they shouldn't like it. Particularly since you have never touched one,

Velin

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I am testing this now as I develop a presentation in Keynote, switching back and forth to email and notepad.

Sounds horrible. As a power keynote user, there is no way -- none -- opening and closing materials on an iPad is superior to having images, documents, browser, and Keynote all open and accessible, instantly. (To say nothing of dual monitors allowing you to view Keynote presentation in one monitor, and the director's view in the other monitor.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.