Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
SpaceMagic said:
Odd how they're releasing 10.3.9. Perhaps they just want to make us sweat :p Or they know people wont move to Tiger straight away.
Its for compatability. If you release 10.4 but it can't operate with 10.3, then whats the point. They are not ending support yet for 10.3 so there will even be some security updates beyond this last core update.

anjaki

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2003
Berlin, Germany
gopher said:
What you did was illegal. Read the license agreement. The G5's OS DVD is really only designed for the G5. And even if it did work on your iMac G3 once, later on you may get a kernel panic with an CPU () error after an update.

It certainly was illegal, the disc performs a check to see what machine you are installing the OS onto, if the machine isn't the same as the bundled software says it should be, it won't install, that is because the "real" installers are buried behind the checker on the bundled software disc as hidden files, now if......

I don't really care when it gets released! Honestly, I am doing fine with Panther (right now). And I don't believe that rushing development will produce anything worth having and using. If it takes them another six months to finally ship it then I'm fine with that. The whole reason I switched from Windows to Mac OS X was the fact that it is more secure and more stable. I don't want some over-zealous corporate's ruining that for me.

chaingarden

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2004
Student Developer Connection

I'm a student developer--my membership runs out in late July. So I'm going to get the OS free in the mail, right? I'm just wondering when I should expect it--I'm antsy and hate waiting an extra couple weeks for my next monthly Apple mailing, but maybe it's good since then hopefully 10.4.1 will already be released. They don't do a special mailing when it's released do they?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
chaingarden said:
I'm a student developer--my membership runs out in late July. So I'm going to get the OS free in the mail, right? I'm just wondering when I should expect it--I'm antsy and hate waiting an extra couple weeks for my next monthly Apple mailing, but maybe it's good since then hopefully 10.4.1 will already be released.

Usually you will get a set of discs in the developer mailing following the general release of the product, however sometimes it may miss the next mailing depending on release date and presumably demands on manufacturing.

chaingarden said:
They don't do a special mailing when it's released do they?
They have done this before.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
rosalindavenue said:
Originally Posted by FunkSpaceMonkey
This gives me a big rubbery one!

Nice post-- you must be an Ain't It Cool News poster!

Or perhaps quoting "Fight Club" i.e., "strangers with this kind of honesty make me grow a big rubbery one." or so that's how I remember it. ;)

On topic, I am in no rush for this Tiger release; I'm happy with 10.3.8 - but then again, I don't know exactly what it is that I am missing... yet.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Prez1082 said:
Since steve is not scheduled to speak at NAB (at least according to NAB's website) and apple only has a standard booth how does all of this happen? Everyone is saying it's going to be released at NAB, but how?

Apple has a special event on Sunday April 17th "The prodution value of HD", you can sign up to get an invite if you are going to NAB or live in Las Vegas area here. This is where they usually announce their new NAB products, then show them on the expo floor. Sadly I am not going to NAB this year :(

Apple will announce the Production Suite 2 (FCP 5, Motion 2, DVDSP 4,etc) and it's rumored that it will require tiger. It is possible that they will annouce the new suite, but not have it ship untill summer, the possible latest date for the Tiger release, but I don't think so, I think Tiger will be released in late April early May, and the Production Suite 2 will be released around the same time as well.

I also think that if new HD powerbooks and 3gz G5 were to be announced, there would be no better place than NAB, people that are in the market for dual or quad 3ghz g5s and HD pbooks are those that work in the Broadcast industry, and are starting or work with HD.

Oh, and BTW Apple's booth at NAB is by no means standard, it is actually larger than their booths as macworld, (at least last year it was) and is the it was only ousted in size by Sony.

It's going to be pretty exciting, I can't wait for next Sunday to see what new is Production Apps apple releases.

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Tiger

I realize that OS enhancements are a constant dynamic, but I would still be willing to wait until WWDC if I thought we would have a flawless version of Tiger. I was not a 10.4 beta tester but hopefully Apple will fix even more stuff before they consider this last build the GM. Especially, if they wait until WWDC to announce/release Tiger. If that is what Apple is planning to do, than they should spend the next couple of months making more improvements to Tiger and at that point Apple can declare it the GM. It does not take that long to mfg and distribute a box of software wether it has bugs in it or not.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
OK People, now we're getting desperate....

I think its time to forget about Tiger in April. All these rumours have so far turned out to be false...the April 1st announcement of the release date whch in my opinion makes the rest of the rumour - the late April release also false. Now we have a new build of Tiger when it was supposed to have gone GM. The rumour sites are generatiing alot of false hope and expectation from Apple, no wonder they are so p****d off with them.

k28

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Family Pack?

How about if i buy Tiger family pack, i will able to share with 5 computer right? has to be in the same house? or i can share with 4 of my friends?

i come across Panther Family pack in apple store page and it says "only for the same household".Is it illegel to share with friends? Is it will work fine? Is apple able to check? :confused:

Panther Family Pack : http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...a8HRh2aRZEAZhEsBTtdW/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.0.3

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
MacSA said:
OK People, now we're getting desperate....

I think its time to forget about Tiger in April. All these rumours have so far turned out to be false...the April 1st announcement of the release date whch in my opinion makes the rest of the rumour - the late April release also false. Now we have a new build of Tiger when it was supposed to have gone GM. The rumour sites are generatiing alot of false hope and expectation from Apple, no wonder they are so p****d off with them.

This latest build is said to be part of 10.4.1. It makes perfect sense that Apple continues working on Tiger. The sooner they can release 10.4.1 the better. I think we'll have Tiger in our hands by early May at the latest. Don't get me wrong, I didn't believe we would see Tiger before end of May until last week when it became pretty much obvious that Apple had already finished Tiger client. Why Tiger has not been announced yet is still unclear. My guess is they want to release server and client version at the same time. Apparently Tiger Server has not gone GM yet. So Apple probably will announce Tiger as soon as Tiger Server is ready.

splatt2004

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2004
Well I've just come off the phone to Apple - I've just bought a Mac Mini, of course I asked re:Tiger and what OS the mini would come with, that I didn't want to pay again later to upgrade. To quote exactly what the lady said on the phone:

'Of course I can;t tell you when Tiger will be released but what I will say is now is a VERY GOOD time to buy a mini and that there is NO NEED to worry about paying to upgrade later'

I guess that means Tiger is with us very soon.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
k28 said:
How about if i buy Tiger family pack, i will able to share with 5 computer right? has to be in the same house? or i can share with 4 of my friends?

i come across Panther Family pack in apple store page and it says "only for the same household".Is it illegel to share with friends? Is it will work fine? Is apple able to check? :confused:

Panther Family Pack : http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...a8HRh2aRZEAZhEsBTtdW/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.0.3

it's illegal. if it says there "only for the same household", then that's what the rules are.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
splatt2004 said:
Well I've just come off the phone to Apple - I've just bought a Mac Mini, of course I asked re:Tiger and what OS the mini would come with, that I didn't want to pay again later to upgrade. To quote exactly what the lady said on the phone:

'Of course I can;t tell you when Tiger will be released but what I will say is now is a VERY GOOD time to buy a mini and that there is NO NEED to worry about paying to upgrade later'

That sounds good, assuming the lady was honest and didn't say so just for the sake of selling a mini.

Ringu

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
splatt2004 said:

I think a WooHoo is in order here.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Builds

The latest rumour about the beta build being for Tiger Server could mean they wish to announce Tiger Server and Client at the same time so they're waiting for the Server to be finalized.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
morkintosh said:
with the notable exception of Panther
What? Panther was announced on the 8th of October and was available in stores on the 24th of October. Let's see, 24-8=16 or 2 weeks, 2 days. That's not close enough for you? Or you just felt like providing a junk post?

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Peace said:
The latest rumour about the beta build being for Tiger Server could mean they wish to announce Tiger Server and Client at the same time so they're waiting for the Server to be finalized.

Could be...although that frustrates me as I couldn't give a flying duckies about Tiger Server!! Just want the Client version!! lol! If thats true I sure hope Tiger Server gets a hurry on!!!

I think they should release client first...I think their very first buyers would be impulse home buyers or people who were waiting for Tiger to switch or update their current machine/OS, either way most likely home users "on the whole". Therefore they should get Tiger Cleint out now, get the word around, when people start using it and the corporate world adjusts to it, get Server out once finished...plus you have some time of really good testing of real users using Client that may assist programming Server.

Theres just tonnes of reasons out there now as to why Tiger isnt out and this build etc...only Time will tell!!!

So come on Time...dish the dirt!!! hehe

eSnow

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
PubGuy said:
Apple always continues development of new builds, even after they are declared GM. Any new changes will be rolled into a 10.4.1 release via software update. This is not surprising at all.

No, whenever Apple picks up work on the next dot-release, they start a new build-train. So in our case, they move from the 8Axxx to the 8Byyy code tree (this might have happened some time ago). If they seed further 8A-builds, they have postponed GM or are currently preparing a security update for 10.4.0.

iFaulder

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2004
Western Maryland
gopher said:
What you did was illegal. Read the license agreement. The G5's OS DVD is really only designed for the G5. And even if it did work on your iMac G3 once, later on you may get a kernel panic with an CPU () error after an update.

Had it installed for about a year and have done 8 updates since the install and have never had a problem and besides, I can't read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.