Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heilige

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
johnnowak said:
If I owned two Macs, buying two copies of Tiger would be idiotic. I do not think ANYONE on this planet would actually do that.

I know I wouldn't do that, and I never have.. It's like buying two of the same music CDs just so you can copy and listen to your music on two computers. Nobody expects you to REALLY do that, the only reason this is stated is so if someone is doing that on a mass scale that the developer (i.e. Apple) would have something to charge them on.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
lssmit02 said:
Fair enough. Question: Do you think that Apple is saving all of its improvements to OpenGL for Tiger, or will 10.3.9 include the same advances as Tiger, up to this point in time?

I have no idea to be honest with you.

My guess would be major improvements left in Tiger, maybe a few updates and improvements in 10.3.9, but primarily in 10.4...would make sense as it would give it another new feature, another reason to upgrade.

Heilige

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
zigziggityzoo said:
The EULA is a contract between you and the company. if you violate that contract, there is a Civil court case that can follow. Even if it's not violating any laws (not saying it is or isnt), you can still be sued. Civil cases are different from Criminal ones.

Exactly, but of course they won't take you to court because you installed one copy Mac OS X on your 3 computers. Like I said before it's there to cover their butt if anyone were to do that on a mass scale that would adversely affect the company profits etc.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Why 10.3.9??

With 10.4 coming so soon I don't understand why Apple woul evn bother with 10.3.9.
Anyway, I had to send in my brand spanking new Powerbook yesterday so I am a little bummed out right now.
For some reason it wasn't recognizing one of my stick s of ram. Both stick would work but only from the top bay.
Apple said 5 bussiness day but we'll see. :(

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
MattG said:
10.3.9 will come out before I leave work today...I can feel it :)

When you leave work matey??!!
(Time difference however...my current time is 7:50pm...compare that with the post time stamp!)
...Im desperate for 10.3.9 to be released so that Tiger is more likely to follow!!

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Heilige said:
Exactly, but of course they won't take you to court because you installed one copy Mac OS X on your 3 computers. Like I said before it's there to cover their butt if anyone were to do that on a mass scale that would adversely affect the company profits etc.

Like Microsoft? They claim they loose "alot" over pirate copies of Windows.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
bbyrdhouse said:
With 10.4 coming so soon I don't understand why Apple woul evn bother with 10.3.9.
Anyway, I had to send in my brand spanking new Powerbook yesterday so I am a little bummed out right now.
For some reason it wasn't recognizing one of my stick s of ram. Both stick would work but only from the top bay.
Apple said 5 bussiness day but we'll see. :(

I believe its more to do with business customers more than anything. They will still have a massive customer base using Panther even well into Tiger's introduction. People will not switch just like that, some of the time they actually can't, so Apple needs to continue to support the previous OS at this stage, especially if its already made promises to fix certain bugs for its customers in 10.3 and not force them to 10.4, that would peeve a few people off.

Sympathy on the PowerBook btw...I feel for ya!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
johnnowak said:
If I owned two Macs, buying two copies of Tiger would be idiotic.

I do not think ANYONE on this planet would actually do that.

Remember this post when you fill out the activation form for OSX 10.5.... :eek:

Heilige

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:
Like Microsoft? They claim they loose "alot" over pirate copies of Windows.

NO , not like Microsoft, they do lose some money because there really ARE people pirating lots of copies (But Microsoft is power hungry anyway). Apple on the other hand prefers to let people make their own decisions on the morality of installing and copying Mac OS X, if this wasn't the case we would be paying more for Mac OS X and would have to ACTIVATE each installed copy with a key etc. by now. Apple still makes money on Mac OS X sales and the customers are happy, why change that.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Gil_Grissom said:
When you leave work matey??!!
(Time difference however...my current time is 7:50pm...compare that with the post time stamp!)
...Im desperate for 10.3.9 to be released so that Tiger is more likely to follow!!

One hour, fourty-three minutes! :D

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Heilige said:

But, if every one of the millions of users that have more than one Mac does it...

When Apple thinks that it is a significant enough problem, they will go to some kind of activation, where you cannot run it on a second computer before you uninstall it (or deactivate it) on the first computer.

I would also suggest that a music CD costing $10 is somewhat different than a OS costing 10 times as much.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Heilige said:
NO , not like Microsoft, they do lose some money because there really ARE people pirating lots of copies (But Microsoft is power hungry anyway). Apple on the other hand prefers to let people make their own decisions on the morality of installing and copying Mac OS X, if this wasn't the case we would be paying more for Mac OS X and would have to ACTIVATE each installed copy with a key etc. by now. Apple still makes money on Mac OS X sales and the customers are happy, why change that.

Gotchya!! Thanks!! Was wondering the difference between the two...Apple are doing gud then, have a far friendlier image than Microsoft on this issue.

if this latest build of 10.4 is for 10.4.1 then how long or how many builds to you people think it will be before that goes GM and is finished?? Or is this just guesswork and rumor work until its done? Any past experience?

Heilige

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
dicklacara said:
But, if every one of the millions of users that have more than one Mac does it...

When Apple thinks that it is a significant enough problem, they will go to some kind of activation, where you cannot run it on a second computer before you uninstall it (or deactivate it) on the first computer.

I would also suggest that a music CD costing $10 is somewhat different than a OS costing 10 times as much.

If that ever happens then Apple will no longer be Apple and I will eat my words. They won't do it.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
IMO the reason is....

Heilige said:
NO , not like Microsoft, they do lose some money because there really ARE people pirating lots of copies (But Microsoft is power hungry anyway).

Apple on the other hand prefers to let people make their own decisions on the morality of installing and copying Mac OS X, if this wasn't the case we would be paying more for Mac OS X and would have to ACTIVATE each installed copy with a key etc. by now.

Apple still makes money on Mac OS X sales and the customers are happy, why change that.

IMO the reason that Apple isn't as concerned is that you need to buy a Mac to run OSX. They make money on Macs.

In fact, it could be that they love pirates - when people see how poorly the new OS runs on their old Macs, they'll buy new Macs to get the full 10.4 experience. "Planned obsolesence" can take many forms....

Heilige

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
Gil_Grissom said:
Gotchya!! Thanks!! Was wondering the difference between the two...Apple are doing gud then, have a far friendlier image than Microsoft on this issue.

if this latest build of 10.4 is for 10.4.1 then how long or how many builds to you people think it will be before that goes GM and is finished?? Or is this just guesswork and rumor work until its done? Any past experience?

If it's important to out when Tiger is released then they will finish it at the same time otherwise the dot updates take a little while, like a couple to a few months.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Heilige said:
If it's important to out when Tiger is released then they will finish it at the same time otherwise the dot updates take a little while, like a couple to a few months.

Right, thanks.
I guess its the same old guess/rumor game to say whether this 10.4.1 update is desperately needed or it will be a few months, dont need to repeat all the posts about how unhappy some people are with the current builds of Tiger, buggy n all, n how some people are completely happy. I guess in some small way it kinda depends on when Tiger as a whole is finished and when it is released. Same old same old :confused:

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Heilige said:
If that ever happens then Apple will no longer be Apple and I will eat my words. They won't do it.

I think that Apple (or any other software publisher) is entitled to get a fair price for every piece of software on every computer where it is used.

What if they did this:

1) went to an activation scheme that insured that a given copy of OS X was only installed/activated on a single machine at a time.

2) by doing this ere able to receive fair compensation & profit for the cost of OS X.

3) since there were no more illegal copies, they would reduce the price to remove the built-in allowance for illegal copies.

I believe that Apple could reduce the price of OS X to, say, $50-$75 per copy and we all would be ahead.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
Looks like 428 is the Gold Master and the OS 10.4 release and 432 is the first work on 10.4.1.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
bosrs1 said:
Looks like 428 is the Gold Master and the OS 10.4 release and 432 is the first work on 10.4.1.

It may be that 428 was just a build put together for FOSE & NAB.

I have not heard of any seeding of 428 to developers outside of Apple.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
dicklacara said:
It may be that 428 was just a build put together for FOSE & NAB.

I have not heard of any seeding of 428 to developers outside of Apple.

I've heard that it available developers on ADC :)

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
Laslo Panaflex said:
Yeah so have I. 428 is the build being released to the public as 10.4. Anything after it like this 432 is definitely the work on the 10.4.1 update.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Laslo Panaflex said:
I've been checking and just checked again. The last client seed on the ADC site remains 8A425 (March 28). The last server seed is 8A420 (April 5). Don't know where your info came from, but it's incorrect. It's possible that Premier accounts have it, while Select accounts don't, but that's not normally the way it goes.

kylefsu32

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2004
JzzTrump22 said:
I'm glad they are double checking everything. It would suck to buy a brand new kickass OS and then find out it's filled with little bugs.

That's how I felt with Win XP! Well maybe not so kickass.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
bosrs1 said:
Yeah so have I. 428 is the build being released to the public as 10.4. Anything after it like this 432 is definitely the work on the 10.4.1 update.
Interesting how folks that obviously aren't paying ADC members seem to be so sure of what's builds are what. As stated in previous posts, builds that represent work in progress on 10.4.1 will be a separate development branch, i.e. 8Bxxx. So, 8A432 has nothing to do with 10.4.1. Personally, I think Apple is playing the rumor mill like a fiddle, although I do think we will see Tiger later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.