more new iPhone5 cases

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrod, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Nice post!

The interesting thing is, after the leak of the case design schematics of the iPhone 5. I have yet to see an iPhone 5 case that was different. They're all the same, and thus pointing to a very possible design.

I believe that this is the design of the iPhone 5. I'll be severely disappointed if the cases prove us wrong, not only would it mean that we have no idea what Apple's plans are, it would also mean case manufacturers have wasted a lot of money.

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

These cases make it seem like the iPhone 5 will have a shape that's kinda a cross between the iPod touch and iPad. I don't mind if it looks like a smaller iPad, but having it look like an iPod touch just ruins the look for me. Although we don't actually know what it looks like, so the actual device may look better than what I'm imagining.

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I really can't see so many of these foreign case manufacturers going out of their way to spend money on manufacturing cases for it to be nothing.

While sure, they're cheap to churn out, no company no matter their line of business, likes to lose money. They could well be onto something here.

4. Nicolas4ever, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Hopefully we get to see the actual device soon! :eek:

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Case shape looks EXACTLY like an iPod touch w/added mute switch and camera openings. Looks too thin to be for a phone, IMO.

Oh, and a relocated headphone jack

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

8. DeusInvictus7, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

How is the headphone jack relocated? It's in the exact same spot as every other iPhone.

And if they can make the iPad thinner than the iPhone 4, then the 5 can be at least that thin.

9. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Everyone always says "looks too thin to be a phone"

There's a thing called INNOVATION. It's like people only live in the present.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What logic leads you to say an iPhone should be as thin as an iPad?

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

But the iPad is bigger, therefore the parts can be spread out more than they can in an iPhone.

12. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Because it's a much smaller device, so logic says it would be thinner (smaller in thickness).

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I'm not saying that it should be thinner, I'm saying that it can be.

Yes, the iPad is bigger, but the parts in the iPhone are also smaller. And with the rumors saying that the iPhone might be wider to accommodate a larger screen or whatever, then they will have more room to spread the components around, instead of "stacking" them.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I missed that distinction :)
    But you're right, Apple could make it thinner. But there's a certain point at which a device feels too thin and it feels cheap at that point. I hope the iPhone 5 doesn't fall victim to this.

16. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I totally agree with that. My Galaxy S II (8.49mm) sometimes feels a bit too thin, and coupled with the really big screen, it gets a little uncomfortable for me to hold.

The iPad is 8.8mm, so realistically that's almost pushing it for thinness. If the iPhone 5 is the same thickness(ish), then I think it would be perfect since Apple knows how to make something thin and not feel flimsy.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Makes no sense. Because it is smaller components are stacked on both sides of the logic board and that sits above the battery. The iPad will always be able to be thinner due to this.

A larger screen won't help this unless it is much larger, almost double in size.

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I said the case looks to fit an iPod touch...with a couple of differences...isn't the headphone jack on the bottom of the iPod? Not saying it's different location from previous iPhones :)

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hmm, something tells me DigiTimes might have been right about the screen size.
    I believe we'll see a 3.8" screen, with still being over the 300 number for retina display.

Anyway people, it's not the iPod Touch. Apple's main focus is on one of it's flagship products, the iPhone. They derive the iPod Touch from the iPhone.

20. tomtom101 macrumors regular

I think apple is always puching for thinner devices (ergo Macbook Air!)... And i think their products will always feel rich and durable, unlike the Galaxy S II, apple would use quality materials which would give it a more rich, durable feel!

Actually thinking about it now, I think I'm crazy for chasing after a product that practically doesn't exist (... yet)!

21. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. What I'm saying, is that this case looks to fit an iPod touch (with the few noted, minor differences). Power button, volume buttons and shape all scream 'iPod touch'. And it's impossible to discern overall size/screen size of whatever device actually fits this case.

22. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh haha :p Yeah I must have read that wrong.

23. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Ready to get a new iphone with no case buddy.:cool: Its the only way to carry it...

24. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This is interesting because if Apple does introduce a low end low cost "cheaper" iPhone 4S to introduce to the middle-market, what will their parts be to maintain that premium feel? Or will they join Samsung and the like an go with plastic to save costs? Can we still call that a premium product? It'll be interesting to see.