Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
People are crying about 1,810 mAh, like it is a battery going into a phone with tech from 5 years ago, SoC's now are becoming really power efficient with manufacture designs coming out espcially like Moto X's cores and also the move to smaller manufacturer nodes (20nm, 14nm, etc) The 1,810 mAh could be a bigger battery,this is the sacrifice we are all gonna get for that iPod touch like thinness with a synthetic sapphire screen, but if the SoC is 20nm which I think it surely will be and it'll hit speeds in turbo boost modes around 2.0 GHz (ala Intel turbo boost) and its gonna have really good voltage control on 20nm and utilizing the power fully at proper moments

-So a 20 nm SoC that has much better efficiency and power efficiency

-Possible use of DRAM in the screen (new screen tech)

-Very low power contextual core, other dedicated cores to increase power efficiency (like Moto X)

-More power efficient LCD, even with a bigger screen size

-AC wifi (which boosts battery life and less power drain and increased performance)

-Better antenna system which is less battery drain and better cellular service

All this added and iOS 8 software optimizations for the Apple A8 SoC along with a really fast charging solution (ala Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 ) to charge that 1,810 mAh battery up real fast, iPhones charge pretty dam fast already and with a new charging solution also, i know the iPhone 6 will have fantastic battery life IF its a move to 20nm node for the A8.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bahroo, optimizations are great. Now think about those very same optimizations PLUS a bigger battery.

Over and over, "we" keep trying to spin a relatively smallish battery as a positive with this "but everything else is optimized to be more power efficient" suggestion. That's GREAT! BUT maximum miserly power sipping + bigger battery would yield so much more than maximum miserly power sipping and a mid-range battery.

That's the point. "We" want hardware & software optimizations AND a bigger battery.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
People are crying about 1,810 mAh, like it is a battery going into a phone with tech from 5 years ago, SoC's now are becoming really power efficient with manufacture designs coming out espcially like Moto X's cores and also the move to smaller manufacturer nodes (20nm, 14nm, etc) The 1,810 mAh could be a bigger battery,this is the sacrifice we are all gonna get for that iPod touch like thinness with a synthetic sapphire screen, but if the SoC is 20nm which I think it surely will be and it'll hit speeds in turbo boost modes around 2.0 GHz (ala Intel turbo boost) and its gonna have really good voltage control on 20nm and utilizing the power fully at proper moments

-So a 20 nm SoC that has much better efficiency and power efficiency

-Possible use of DRAM in the screen (new screen tech)

-Very low power contextual core, other dedicated cores to increase power efficiency (like Moto X)

-More power efficient LCD, even with a bigger screen size

-AC wifi (which boosts battery life and less power drain and increased performance)

-Better antenna system which is less battery drain and better cellular service

All this added and iOS 8 software optimizations for the Apple A8 SoC along with a really fast charging solution (ala Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 ) to charge that 1,810 mAh battery up real fast, iPhones charge pretty dam fast already and with a new charging solution also, i know the iPhone 6 will have fantastic battery life IF its a move to 20nm node for the A8.

Thanks for pointing all that stuff out.

Shakkan

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Yes, yes, yes and again, yes! The 5S (I don't know about the 5, I have not had one) is an absolute disgrace in terms of battery life, and good on Samsung for their wall-hugging ads. I am outraged that I spent over £500 on a computer capable of so much to help me through my day, but which I have to keep plugging in or rationing my use of. Do I allow myself to watch the cricket for 30 minutes, or can I use the maps to help me find a decent restaurant? Can I listen to live radio, or should I save the battery in case I am stranded later at Clapham Junction and want to read an eBook with the screen bright enough to be able see it properly?

The pathetic, smug, indulgent nonsense about "super thin" whilst many of us find we can't use this device like the much vaunted Jobs would have wanted makes me sick. It is not the first time I have said this, and usually some Apple-apologist cretins come back with comments like " why don't you buy a battery case" or "why not use your phone less". You couldn't make it up...

Quite honestly, the mind boggles. The 5S is otherwise impressive, to be sure. But its pathetically inadequate battery makes it a daily trial when I am doing anything other than the most basic casual use, and if that is all I wanted from a phone, I would not have bought the 5S. Now, to praise Apple, the battery life they have got out of the MBAs is remarkably impressive.

+1000

Do those Apple apologists at least realize what they are? "omg my iPhone 5 lasts 2 days!" If your iPhone 5 or 5s lasts 2 days or even a _full_ day, you probably could do fine with a 15$ flip phone. ;p

For some people, all-day battery means during work hours because they plug it in when they come back home but what happens when you go on vacation? Go out after work? Use GPS, play games with no access to a wall outlet until 10pm? You're screwed. Period, end of story.

If the battery is indeed 1810mAh, I'll be very disappointed. I currently own a Nexus 5 and I'm almost disappointed by the battery life, but that phone was dirt cheap. I plan on buying the iPhone 6 but geez... who cares about that 1mm? Bragging rights in exchange of crappy battery life? :\

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
My problem is simple:
The iPhone 5S is too thick.... said no one ever.

Assuming that Apple is going to do their typical slimming down of the phone with some other improvements, which should be even easier this year with larger real estate of 4.7", the iPhone 6 will be slimmer than the iPhone 5S.

Now, given the choice between a 7.6mm iPhone 6 (current thickness of the iPhone 5S) with several hours more of battery life and a 7mm iPhone 6 with the same battery life as the iPhone 5S, which do you think would be the overwhelming choice? 7.6mm is more than slim enough. Why can't we just keep it at this perfect thickness and get better battery life? Regardless of the "consumers not knowing what they really want" philosophy, I think in this case they really do. And it's battery life. The one exception that I can think of is the great charging time of the iPhone with a smaller battery to charge, but come on... would anyone really care how long it takes to charge if their phone would last the entire day regardless of the level of usage?

TL;DR: I've heard plenty of complaining about the battery life not being good enough, but have not heard one person complain that the iPhone is too thick.

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
really sick of the poor battery life on my iPhone. I obviously have a outlier ****** one but my battery lasts... 1 hour. It used to last about 4. Apple store genius told me my battery was just fine. :roll:

Was hoping the 6 would get better battery results. Gonna wait for some real world battery tests (i'm not due for an upgrade till Oct) but I might just have to switch to samsung. (advertising works.)

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Does anyone know how this compares to a high end android phone battery? I can't believe we are 7 years into the iphone and they still can't figure out how to have a day long charge with normal usage! This doesn't sound like it make a damn difference.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Yes, yes, yes and again, yes! The 5S (I don't know about the 5, I have not had one) is an absolute disgrace in terms of battery life, and good on Samsung for their wall-hugging ads. I am outraged that I spent over £500 on a computer capable of so much to help me through my day, but which I have to keep plugging in or rationing my use of. Do I allow myself to watch the cricket for 30 minutes, or can I use the maps to help me find a decent restaurant? Can I listen to live radio, or should I save the battery in case I am stranded later at Clapham Junction and want to read an eBook with the screen bright enough to be able see it properly?

The pathetic, smug, indulgent nonsense about "super thin" whilst many of us find we can't use this device like the much vaunted Jobs would have wanted makes me sick. It is not the first time I have said this, and usually some Apple-apologist cretins come back with comments like " why don't you buy a battery case" or "why not use your phone less". You couldn't make it up...

Quite honestly, the mind boggles. The 5S is otherwise impressive, to be sure. But its pathetically inadequate battery makes it a daily trial when I am doing anything other than the most basic casual use, and if that is all I wanted from a phone, I would not have bought the 5S. Now, to praise Apple, the battery life they have got out of the MBAs is remarkably impressive.

Completely agree.. I've had every iPhone model and I love them.. but NOT the battery. It's a freaking disgrace that Apple keeps going thinner but a huge % of their customers rage about the battery life.

I'm also glad Samsung is mocking it, and I laugh every time.. because they're RIGHT.

Apple needs to get its head around the fact most buyers want battery, not endless obsession with thinness.

----------

They're saving the higher capacity battery for the iPhone 6s. You know perfectly well that Apple doesn't put all their eggs in one basket.

I wish that was true.. but we Apple loyalists say that every phone.. and the battery stays crap :(

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Don't really care about the battery capacity, I care more about the battery life. As long as that is increased, it's fine. I don't think that's impossible, remember the iPad Air in which Apple increased the speed and battery life while reducing the capacity.

Compared to the iPhone 5S, the 6 will have:

- A slightly larger screen (38% larger)
- A slightly larger battery (16% larger)
- A less power hungry SoC (rumoured)
- A less power hungry screen (rumoured)

I think battery life could actually be increased over the 5S substantially.
I'd be surprised. Especially when it comes to health and sports tracking with gps. That consumes a lot of power and I'd rather had the same thickness as with the 5s paired with 16+ hours on gps.
Still hope for a battery case made by apple.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'd be surprised. Especially when it comes to health and sports tracking with gps. That consumes a lot of power and I'd rather had the same thickness as with the 5s paired with 16+ hours on gps.
Still hope for a battery case made by apple.

I'd never buy a battery case from Apple. If they see profits on them they'd just be more encouraged to continue screwing us Apple loyalists with insulting battery life.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
The iPhone 4 thickness was great, they could easily put an enormous battery in there if they just made it as thick as the 4 (especially because the display and back panel are so much thinner now there would be a ton of room inside

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
My least favorite argument is: "but the Galaxy battery sucks!" It shouldn't matter to Apple whether the Samsung batteries last two hours or 4 days. Apple should focus on battery optimization for iPhone customers. The frustrations part of it is they know how to do it as a company. Their Mac and iPad batteries are uniformly excellent. Playing Candy Crush or GPS shouldn't eat away at your battery. Neither should taking a short video. Apple clearly has the engineering skills to make excellent battery life for all their other products. They for some reason just don't bother with the iPhone.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
The NEW iPhone 6 .
Bigger than it should be and thinner than it needs to be.

Without the stiff metal frame around the edge to keep torsional movements in check. I expect see a lot of broken screen and bent case issues too.

JohnPhamlore

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
What are the Apple employees' solution?

Since Apple employees are practically forced to eat their own dogfood and use iPhones, presumably all day and in many cases quite heavily in all sorts of places, I wonder what their preferred solution is to battery life problems. Or do they not have many such problems.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I can't wait for ios8. Being able to see what apps are draining the battery is going to put a lot of pressure on developers to optimize their apps. Because the iphone gets good battery life for me with web surfing all day (12hr work day) on wifi. If I shut off wifi, it gets even better. If I don't go home with a 50% battery, I start to think something is wrong. Also, I have a pebble smart watch connected to bluetooth 24/7 which, if I shut it off, gives me another 20% at the end of the day. What are all of you people doing that kills your battery? Hopefully on ios8, you will be able to find out what apps are killing your battery.

Some suggestions for all of you with dead batteries:
-Kill the camera app when you are done with it. There is a bug that drains the battery.
-shut off as many of the location services for everything you can. This includes most if not all of the system location services at the bottom of the location services page
-turn down the brightness to a manageable level. I find it too bright at 100% unless I'm outside in full sun. (I work on a dark sound stage a lot)
-turn off background app refresh for any app that you don't need to update in the background.
-also don't use the facebook app. It too kills the battery. Use the browser for all your facebook needs.

Last edited:

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
If the 6 lasts how my Moto G lasts, they'll have cracked it :)

Serious stamina, and I'm not a light user.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
No.

iPhone 5S: 1,550mAH battery; 4.0 inch screen.
iPhone 6: 1800mAH battery; 4.7 inch screen

1800mAH is about 16% more capacity than 1,550mAH
4.7 inch screen is about 14% bigger than 4.0 inch screen.

A8-Processor: Maybe 5% more efficient (real life effect).

End result: Same overall battery life performance (IMO), about 7% better than the 5S.

The 5.5" model on the other hand is going to have hours more battery per charge.

Why do so many people assume that a percentage increase in screen size (16 in your example) results in an exactly equivalent (16) increase in battery usage. This could only happen if the screen used 100% of all battery consumption. It does not.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Why do so many people assume that a percentage increase in screen size (16 in your example) results in an exactly equivalent (16) increase in battery usage. This could only happen if the screen used 100% of all battery consumption. It does not.

Because they're not electronic engineers, but like to cherry-pick aspects of electronics knowledge and purport to be so. I *am* an electronic engineer, but I don't care enough about a flippin' phone to calculate precisely what drains what and why and for how long etc... coz' all that ain't gonna help you WHEN your battery dies - when it's dead it's dead, Fred.

Nramos33

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
What if they upgraded the basic battery for the iPhone 5sc (or whatever) and then the rest of the phone got a boost. So...

1800 iPhone 5cs
2100 iPhone 6 4.7
2900 iPhone 6 5.5

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Bahroo, optimizations are great. Now think about those very same optimizations PLUS a bigger battery.

Over and over, "we" keep trying to spin a relatively smallish battery as a positive with this "but everything else is optimized to be more power efficient" suggestion. That's GREAT! BUT maximum miserly power sipping + bigger battery would yield so much more than maximum miserly power sipping and a mid-range battery.

That's the point. "We" want hardware & software optimizations AND a bigger battery.

I know, the bigger the phone the bigger battery can go in, they could even keep the phone same thinness and just make it a 4.7 inch iPhone with a bigger battery then 1,810 mAh id be fine with that ,but you know Apple they will keep going and going for thinner and thinner

----------

Hint: iPhone 6 could have a 40-50% better battery life, all with a even faster SoC and bigger screen over the 5S/5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.