Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macwant

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I somehow always click the close tab button when trying to switch tabs with this new layout. I'm really not sure why, but it happens all the time now. Drives me insane.

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why don't they just, you know, revert to how it was before? There was nothing wrong with it. Sometimes you just have to accept that what you've created is good, and you shouldn't improve it just because a whole year has passed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, Apple. Also thinking of the MacBook Pros here, with the butterfly keyboards, lack of USB, lack of SD, lack of HDMI, and lack of MagSafe, and the TouchBar. Sure are popular improvements huh!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I heard some guy has to make an extension to show you which browser tab is active, but it only works if you don’t have a lot of tabs. Do any of these tweaks fix that?

What is Apple honestly think they are doing now that it has gotten to this point?

I’m actually happy with Safari for the first time ever. I’m a web developer and designer and I use it all the time as my primary. It’s a lot more lightweight and efficient than Chrome, and as a bonus it’s not tracking me. The UI finally got to a good place and then they ruin it. I’m not upgrading macOS (or buying a new Mac with the new macOS) until they fix this.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I’m actually happy with Safari for the first time ever. I’m a web developer and designer
when you test a webpage after completion, don't you need to see if that works on edge, google and an iPad?
our coding person does that every upload
and if I'm up to it, I check on the MacBook air

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
It feels like they’re going to rework the tabs - or perhaps as with iOS safari, simply add in an option to revert it back to the previous design.
Amen. When’s the last time the basic cheeseburger has been significantly improved? I think the golden age of interface design was around 10 years ago…the low hanging fruit was fixed, and designers weren’t obsessed with making things as simple/bland/flat as possible. You can refine an interface or piece of hardware to near pefection, but…Marketing has to market and Designers gotta design, so we’re always going to be screwed.

1B5EF1E8-3C6E-4639-9B2C-681EFE16BCC3.png

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
When’s the last time the basic cheeseburger has been significantly improved?
When they added bacon.

I think the golden age of interface design was around 10 years ago…the low hanging fruit was fixed, and designers weren’t obsessed with making things as simple/bland/flat as possible. You can refine an interface or piece of hardware to near pefection, but…Marketing has to market and Designers gotta design, so we’re always going to be screwed.
I'm with you on this. For me the beginning of the end was when the Finder sidebar icons all went grey and active/inactive controls were differentiated as gray and slightly lighter gray.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I’m holding out hope they come to their senses on the highlighted tab color issue.
Right now, When in Light mode, the dark tab is active….and when in Dark mode, the light tab is active. ?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
When they added bacon.
Ha ha. And…that was how many decades ago? :)

For me the beginning of the end was when the Finder sidebar icons all went grey and active/inactive controls were differentiated as gray and slightly lighter gray.

Double Amen. I hate working in Mail in Big Sur on my 2020 Mac Mini vs. Mail in Sierra that’s on my 2014 MBA. The folders on the left are so small and similar-looking that it’s painful to work with them. The folders to the left on my MBA in Sierra are just slightly larger, thicker, meatier to where it’s noticeably easier to use. Flat design monochromatic interfaces are generally a huge efficiency reducer for me.

Last edited:

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Why fix what’s not broke? I’d rather Apple focus on granting extensions higher privileges again. They should consult LoveFrom,!
Different teams. The extension team and UI team are not going to have much overlap. I'm glad they are trying new things, I'm glad they are listening to the feedback when those new things are awful, lol.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Too late, I am using Edge and DuckDuckGo in my iPhone and IMac. Not perfect, but consume waaaaay less power (makes iPhone less hot than Safari). The favorites handling can be arranged to pin favorites to the start screen, as in a couple of Safari versions ago, which I loved. So, thanks for helping other browsers improve themselves Apple. You have dropped the ball on innovation and ease of use.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Sure to be traded in shortly I bet for a bunch of people. Mine predates those improvements.
Funnily enough I actually like the 2016-2018 design - especially the elimination of the legacy ports.
The design was let down by the awful, hot Intel chips and dGPUs which were necessary to overcome the deficiencies of Intels inadequate iGPUs.

It’s for those reasons why I can’t wait to dump my 2018 15”...

Reactions: headlessmike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.