Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

More To Come This Week?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

An AppleInsider post earlier in the year had indicated that Apple would be showing something "super secret" at tomorrow's Final Cut Pro user group meeting. The most likely scenario at this point is that the secret technology is in fact the MacBook Air that was announced today. A product to replace Shake (code-named Phenomenon) has been rumored to arrive in 2008, but it is doubtful that that product's introduction would take place in such a setting.

We have also heard unconfirmed rumblings that MacBook Pro updates are to come shortly, though no exact timing is indicated.

Article Link

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
ACDs? Multitouch on MBP?

It almost seems logical at this point that a multitouch trackpad will be incorporated into the MB and MBP in short order. And we all know that the ACD are loooonnnnggggg overdue for an update especially in light of the lack of an iSight camera for Mac Pro owners.

Don't even get me started on the lack of updates for the Mac mini...

It would be nice if they incorporated some of the new rental features of the AppleTV Take 2 software into FrontRow so we could use them on the mini.

Comment

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
An AppleInsider post earlier in the year had indicated that Apple would be showing something "super secret" at tomorrow's Final Cut Pro user group meeting. The most likely scenario at this point is that the secret technology is in fact the MacBook Air that was announced today.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Final Cut users are pretty much the last people on the planet who would have any use for a machine that maxes out at 2GB of RAM and has no FireWire ports. Maybe they could use it as a coffee cup warming pad, but that's about it.

Maybe it's some Blu-Ray related announcement that everyone seems to have been expecting in Tuesday's keynote.

Comment

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
After seeing the price of the MacBook Air and it's lack of dedicated graphics card, even though I expected it, I guess I get to replace my 12" PowerBook with a 15" MacBook Pro. I doubt I could get a 13.3" MacBook Pro, which is what I'd want. Steve thinks a 15" would be better for me I guess. :p

Comment

MisterSalty

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
That doesn't make any sense at all. Final Cut users are pretty much the last people on the planet who would have any use for a machine that maxes out at 2GB of RAM and has no FireWire ports. Maybe they could use it as a coffee cup warming pad, but that's about it.

Totally agree. More likely that the "super secret" is another song performed by Randy Newman.:eek:

Comment

MacPhilosopher

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Phoenix
Maybe for Screenwriting...

Most of FCP's components will not run on the Air. While I am not completely sure of the specs, I believe the Air has an integrated video chip. Not enough video power to run FCP. It will not even load. Perhaps Express, but who wants to be saddled with loading video through the USB? Not that you couldn't make it work, but it sure won't be presented as a stand alone editor. BTW, I am not making this as a critique. Something so light and portable is not meant for that type of work. It will still fly as a light-work graphics and photoshop editor. Not to bad given its size.

Comment

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
I'm praying it's a ACD update. MBP's were just updated in what August with LED back lighting and such, correct?

Comment

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
new display's please. I'm waiting to buy such a new MacPro because I need a monitor for it. Imagine how stupid it would be to buy one now and see an introduction within the next weeks or month.

Comment

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Oh please introduce the iMac Air! A .16-inch thin, .5-pound mac with 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 144MB of integrated graphics, and a 80GB 4200-rpm hard drive and no optical drive, one USB2 and no Firewire or ethernet ports and non-accessible 2GB memory! Oh and no speakers, internal or external, please. I'll pay $2500. It can even replace the Mac Mini line. Why not.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
It won't be anything that exciting, otherwise Steve would have announced it. I'm sure we get this rumor every year.

Comment

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
Why do you do this to me???

Apple Apple Apple.... i wait for months and months for a new MBP expecting it waiting for it anticipating it.. getting up 1AM in the morning to watch MacRummors live coverage but then at Steve Jobs speech nothing, no update no change. :(:(:(

So i decided i better just buy it and was planning on doing so in the next week but then i hear this, more rummors more speculation and i am left with... Should i buy or should i wait?... as i have been left with for months.

But my problem is i need it no matter what by the end of January.. but it will hurt so much if on 2FEB an upgrade comes out.

Any comments? :confused:

Comment

myeggsareboiled

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2008
Buy it.

If you buy it end of Jan, and something else comes out, you have 28 days to return it. So take it back and get the new one. Statuatory rights rock.

Comment

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I don't know if those exist where i am... (In Aussie Land)

Why do you need it by Jan? An update is near certain...It's just the timescale that's the uncertainty. The MBP hasn't been updated since August and with the new Penryn mobile processors now out, even Intel have stated there will be a 2.6GHz Penryn MBP.

If you can hold off for a while longer, it would be worth it.

I plan on waiting...and waiting...and waiting until the update. I'm in no rush, and the longer I wait, the more money I can save, and then I'll be able to get the best spec I can afford (such as a huge hdd). May have to order Time Capsule though too...

Comment

beneditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
This has been debunked already - sorry

Hi all

I'm a video pro, and this topic was raised on creativecow. The organiser of the event replied:

"Just to set the record straight, there is no truth to the rumor that Apple will use the SuperMeet for a product announcement. I'm one of the producers of this event.

Those that know me know I use the phrase 'Super Secret" all the time. Have for years. It's a take off on "super meet." I use it when I honestly dont know what the presenter is presenting. And in this case I honestly don't know what Apple is presenting. Whatever it is, it wont be a new product. SuperMeets are about teaching us something. The FCP team always uses these SuperMeets for that purpose. Not for product announcements."

See the thread here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/969064#969064

Hope that clears everything up. Why would Apple announce anything pro video related now? NAB is in April.

Ben

Comment

batistuta

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I was one (of many?) hoping for a little upgrade to the MBP range - Penryn processors, resolution raised to 1680x1050 for the 15 inch model, at least as an option, and possibly 320gb HDD option (though Apple is always charging way too much for a simple HDD upgrade!)

Penryn will most likely arrive in MBP, the question is when.

Other comments:
MacBook Air: Would be nice to be able to upgrade the 80gb drive in the MBA with a SSD once prices becomes more reasonable. Didn't 160gb 1,8" drives just come out? 80gb is not much these days...
Anyone knows what resolution the micro-DVI is capable of driving?

Apple TV upgrade - well I never thought the product name was that appropriate - where's the TV tuner in that thing to justify the naming (and pricing) ?!
Or at least the ability to connect a USB TV tuner :(

Time Capsule - nice, but lacks a lot of the features my Synology product is capable of, but hey I can just hook it up on the USB port...
Sadly you can't exchange the HDD yourself, but I guess that's typical of Apple products.
I've seen posts about 30W power consumption (does anyone know more?) - I hope the HDD can hibernate to facilitate lower consumption!

Comment

newkeyboard

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Sussex, UK
new display's please. I'm waiting to buy such a new MacPro because I need a monitor for it. Imagine how stupid it would be to buy one now and see an introduction within the next weeks or month.

Ditto! I filled my basket on the Apple store with a mac pro and an ACD last night, but the age of the ACD stops me pressing buy - for now.

Comment

newkeyboard

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Sussex, UK
Oh please introduce the iMac Air! A .16-inch thin, .5-pound mac with 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 144MB of integrated graphics, and a 80GB 4200-rpm hard drive and no optical drive, one USB2 and no Firewire or ethernet ports and non-accessible 2GB memory! Oh and no speakers, internal or external, please. I'll pay $2500. It can even replace the Mac Mini line. Why not.

That's just what we need, an ultra portable desktop :rolleyes:

Comment

DukeofAnkh

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Melbourne
It almost seems logical at this point that a multitouch trackpad will be incorporated into the MB and MBP in short order.

I don't see why this cant just be a software update (say with 10.5.2) since MB and MBP already recognise multitouch. I want gestures :-/

Apple Apple Apple.... i wait for months and months for a new MBP expecting it waiting for it anticipating it.. getting up 1AM in the morning to watch MacRummors live coverage but then at Steve Jobs speech nothing, no update no change. :(:(:(

So i decided i better just buy it and was planning on doing so in the next week but then i hear this, more rummors more speculation and i am left with... Should i buy or should i wait?... as i have been left with for months.

But my problem is i need it no matter what by the end of January.. but it will hurt so much if on 2FEB an upgrade comes out.

Any comments? :confused:

Where were you going to buy it from? If not online then, since there are no Apple stores in Australia, and usually resellers take a while to get stuff in (according to the guy where I got mine - a Next Byte - Apple don't really give the resellers priority). What I'm getting at is that if you order at the end of Jan and they release an update on 2nd Feb, you'd probably get the new one.

Of course, that doesn't help you if you need it to USE it by the end of Jan. either way, I'd recomend going and talking to your reseller and finding out how long it'd take to come in (my MBP took almost 5 weeks).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.