Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Lol, I know where that one's going.

No, I'm saying you shouldn't believe that some guy claiming to be the producer of a major Apple event, when he's managing to find time to post on the internet (when anyone involved at MWSF would be very busy).

kne0

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Whoa.... on that new MBP

First be wary of bad information based on good intent.

If you buy an Apple in the Unites States from ANYWHERE besides Direct from APPLE there is -0- return allowed, PERIOD. OF course if it's DOA from a authorized vendor perhaps there is recourse.

IF you buy a STOCK APPLE direct you have 10 days to return the item.

Stock equates to "original configuration" adding ram or ANYTHING additional equates to a CTO, there is -0- return for this item

jk000

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Perfect plan...

I badly need a MBP. It's ridiculous now. But I've come up with the perfect plan. I'm going to kepp buying MBP's and take them back. Buy one tomorrow, in 25 days (before the 28 day return period) I'll return it. Then buy another one, putting all my files on my external HD, perfect. (I'm in the UK btw)

m005e

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Australia
The ACD are very overdue for an Update! and a price drop! Why on earth are they so expencive when you can get the same sized screens from different companies for way cheaper?

Apple 20 inch Cinema display: $599.00
Dell 20 inch display: $217.00

Is the apple branding really worth so much extra?

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Did anyone else feel like they were getting a swift kick in the balls from Apple when they had him come up on stage to play a damn song?

You bite your tongue. Randy Newman is an incredible incredible songwriter and film composer! It was my favorite part of the keynote!

avah12

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
I badly need a MBP. It's ridiculous now. But I've come up with the perfect plan. I'm going to kepp buying MBP's and take them back. Buy one tomorrow, in 25 days (before the 28 day return period) I'll return it. Then buy another one, putting all my files on my external HD, perfect. (I'm in the UK btw)
No restocking fees in UK?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
No restocking fees in UK?

According to the UK Store website: There's no restocking fee in the UK, and we have 14 calendar days from delivery to return if we've simply "changed our mind". There are transport charges though, which for items over £300(ex. vat) is £60. This also covers CTOs, as the only terms they specify as not being legible for a refund are laser engraved iPods, and of course software.

kne0

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Swami Kne0

Ok, i looked into my crystal ball and this is what i see.
The new MBP to be announced in the coming days will come stock with a 2.6/ 200 gig 7200 rpm drive /2 gig ram and will be 200.00 less than the current model.

The new processor will come in June with the blue ray option.

DukeofAnkh

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Melbourne
I think he's talking about how they already have the "use the two fingers for scrolling" type thing. Software update could be possibly, but who knows.

Yes, that is what I meant. My reasoning is thus: my track pad can tell the difference between 1 and 2 fingers, great. But it can also tell the difference between 2 and 3 fingers, since if I put down three fingers in a row and try to scroll, nothing happens. Hey, it might be wishful thinking, but I'm hopeful. :eek:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Whats coming?

I think that from the MWSF, the signs are that Apple is gunning for a drip feed of new products and features, possibly every month. With more products out now, they have a decent overlap, so their cycles aren't in sync.

I'd say the MBP will come out soon, with touchpad similar to the Air, February at a guess. Which kinda makes it harder to predict accurately now, as it could be unannounced / impromptu announcements of bumps or upgrades on any given Tuesday

TatsuTerror

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
I'd say the MBP will come out soon, with touchpad similar to the Air, February at a guess. Which kinda makes it harder to predict accurately now, as it could be unannounced / impromptu announcements of bumps or upgrades on any given Tuesday
I'm hoping for a case similar to the MBA's, and I also expect one, given that their new products have started to have a similar look to them. Though the MBP is a beautiful machine, the company seems to be going less boxy and more flowing in the area of design (hence, the new Nano).

unrecorded

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
february? but i want one nooowww!!!

i guess i'll just have to hope against all odds that they release the new mbp's within a week or two, because i really can't wait any longer than that. i don't think the announcement of a major upgrade would detract from the macbook air at all, they're aimed at two very seperate markets. one's for people who want a solid computer and the other is for rich college kids/trophy wives who want a status symbol/fashion accessory to show off in class/at their next garden party. seriously, unless you geniunely cannot carry anything heavier than 3 lbs due to a crippling back problem, or have a lot of money to waste, there is no rational reason for buying that cute little thing. i have no problem with apple pursuing the eye-candy demographic... just don't neglect everyone else at the same time, steve.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
seriously, unless you geniunely cannot carry anything heavier than 3 lbs due to a crippling back problem, or have a lot of money to waste, there is no rational reason for buying that cute little thing.

It's a good thing not everyone is as myopic as this or we'd all still be using Compaq luggables.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
You bite your tongue. Randy Newman is an incredible incredible songwriter and film composer! It was my favorite part of the keynote!

Oh don't get me wrong I've got nothing bad to say about him, it's just that this is an electronics expo. People came/watched to see new electronic products, not filler.

unrecorded

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
It's a good thing not everyone is as myopic as this or we'd all still be using Compaq luggables.

well... that was an unnecessary personal insult. and since when does a macbook pro = a compaq portable? all i'm saying is that for me, in a contest between form and function, i'd rather have the latter. thanks for your contribution though. seriously.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
february? but i want one nooowww!!!

i guess i'll just have to hope against all odds that they release the new mbp's within a week or two, because i really can't wait any longer than that. i don't think the announcement of a major upgrade would detract from the macbook air at all, they're aimed at two very seperate markets. one's for people who want a solid computer and the other is for rich college kids/trophy wives who want a status symbol/fashion accessory to show off in class/at their next garden party. seriously, unless you geniunely cannot carry anything heavier than 3 lbs due to a crippling back problem, or have a lot of money to waste, there is no rational reason for buying that cute little thing. i have no problem with apple pursuing the eye-candy demographic... just don't neglect everyone else at the same time, steve.
I agree, the MBP is in another world, but I can see grabbing a new Air for those long flights in a crowded airplane. Somewhere between a MBP and an iPhone.

unrecorded

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
I agree, the MBP is in another world, but I can see grabbing a new Air for those long flights in a crowded airplane. Somewhere between a MBP and an iPhone.

true... but remember, the flight can't be too long, because that battery ain't ever coming out.

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
What's to say that guy is really a producer and not just some jumped up twit? There's no mention of this guy "Michael Horton" guy.

This Michael Horton states in his post "...And in this case I honestly don't know what Apple is presenting..." So he obviously has NO AUTHORITY to even state that Apple will definately not be announcing anything. Even Apple staff don't know what's round the corner.

All I'm saying is no-one will know exactly what's going to happen at any stage, so let's all live in hope :)

The Final Cut Pro User Group Meeting doesn't start til 7PM so how can it be over :p

Well it's over now and NOTHING was announced or introduced, End of story.
Just an incorrect Apple Insider Rumor.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
And to think, I was getting my hopes up for something super sweet for FCP.

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
Oh yes there is!

According to the UK Store website: There's no restocking fee in the UK, and we have 14 calendar days from delivery to return if we've simply "changed our mind". There are transport charges though, which for items over £300(ex. vat) is £60. This also covers CTOs, as the only terms they specify as not being legible for a refund are laser engraved iPods, and of course software.

The restocking fee or return fee or whatever it's called is £50 in the UK, as I found when I returned a MacBook Pro a few months ago because the high resolution screen (which I hadn't been able to see before I'd bought it) made everything so small I was getting eyestrain. Don't start with the workarounds, I tried them all including glasses, but I'm getting old and there it is.

£50 it was to send it back because I'd changed my mind when I got to use it.
Other than my eyesight problems it was fabulous.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
The restocking fee or return fee or whatever it's called is £50 in the UK, as I found when I returned a MacBook Pro a few months ago because the high resolution screen (which I hadn't been able to see before I'd bought it) made everything so small I was getting eyestrain. Don't start with the workarounds, I tried them all including glasses, but I'm getting old and there it is.

£50 it was to send it back because I'd changed my mind when I got to use it.
Other than my eyesight problems it was fabulous.

According to the terms and conditions on the UK store website, its just a £60 transport charge (probably disguised as a "restocking fee") for a Macbook (anything over £300 ex vat).

At least there's an option to change our minds though, with something so expensive.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Like so many of you, I've got an order ready too, only have to hit the buy button, but actually three things are stopping me :

- MB pro : same reasons as everyone else
- ACD : same ...
- Mac Pro : 3-5 week wait with 8800GT.

So why should I buy and pay for a Mac Pro NOW when I have to wait 3-5 weeks anyway. I'll evaluate things when it says "shipping in 3-5 days" ;)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Like so many of you, I've got an order ready too, only have to hit the buy button, but actually three things are stopping me :

- MB pro : same reasons as everyone else
- ACD : same ...
- Mac Pro : 3-5 week wait with 8800GT.

So why should I buy and pay for a Mac Pro NOW when I have to wait 3-5 weeks anyway. I'll evaluate things when it says "shipping in 3-5 days" ;)

Buy the Mac Pro stock now, buy the 8800 separately, then sell the 2600XT when you get your 8800.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.