Moshi Palmguard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Jan 11, 2009.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all. I own the 15" MBP in my sig, and I'm thinking of getting a Moshi PalmGuard for it, as well as the ClearGuard. Now, does anyone have the Palmguard for the unibody MBP? How is it? I'm mainly concerned with the magnetic closure of the laptop. Is it affected due to the increased distance of the lid and the bottom part? Thanks;)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

obviously a magnetic force is capable of going through a moshi palmguard. even if its really weak.
    The increased distance is about 0.5mm

3. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

I'm using Moshi Palmguard, It works like charm... :rolleyes:

4. just02 macrumors member

I second that. No issues what-so-ever. It's a great product, I even had it on my old MacBook. :)

5. dudemac333 macrumors newbie

dudemac333

I third that... I absolutely love the Moshi Palmguard! It does not interfere at all with closing the mbp and works wonderfully.

6. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

It blends with the aluminum color so well. People don't even recognize I'm using it.

7. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

8. sysphile macrumors newbie

Add me to the list as a Moshi fan as well. Got the palm and trackpad guard installed and really happy with the product. I initially had the Best Skins Ever palm rest cover installed but did not like the way it kept sticking to my wrists. The color-matching of the guard is really great as well.

9. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Can't agree more on this thread. I hope they release the unibody 17" ASA they can.

10. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool! Looks like it'll work on my 15" unibody without problems. How about the new clearguard, which they tout as the thinnest keyboard cover in the world? Is it as good as it's said to be?

11. eron macrumors 6502

For those with the Moshi Palmguard, did you install the trackpad piece?

I didn't because I was afraid it will feel "different" or be less responsive.

What's the take?

12. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was just about to ask that. I didn't install it on my old classic MBP due to the fact that I thought that it highly increased friction, and it was quite hard to use with the trackpad piece. For those with a glass trackpad, how does the friction seem after the trackpad film piece?

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Ive had mine on my mbp classic for 4 days, its nice. Except for the trackpad film. I loved the feel of the trackpad film and it had full sensitivity. Until 4 days after i put it on, the pad lost all sensitivity and i had to peel it off b/c my trackpad didnt work. Then it left a god awe full amount of sticky residue behind and it took a ton of work and careful scrubbing to get it all clean.

14. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I've had my moshi palmguard and trackpad film on for six months now, no tear n' wear at all, except a little staining. I actually prefer the feel of the trackpad film, it just feels smoother to me. The palmguard is awesome, I don't have to worry about my watch repeatedly scratching the aluminum.

15. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

I don't, the trackpad guard makes my trackpad become less responsive. But the palmguard is awesome. :D

16. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Love it and highly recommend it! I didn't install the trackpad cover cause I was afraid I might lose some responsiveness but the palmguard is awesome!

17. slapppy macrumors 65816

Moshi is the best. I've had other brands for my Titanium 1GZ, MBP 2.1. Switched to Moshi for my new MBP 2.5 and it looks and feel awesome. Someone posted nice pics in the forum before.

18. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

where do you folks order Moshi palmguards in the US? I tried getting it direct from Moshi but the shipping says 2-3 weeks and I want this thing sooner.

19. eron macrumors 6502

Pay for express or more expensive shipping then.

20. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I just ordered the Palmguard and ClearGuard with the express shipping for a total of $56.75.
    I can't WAIT!!! :cool:

21. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I mass ordered with a couple of friends, to the point where we got free shipping. For 10 items or more, there's free shipping.

22. Oversoul macrumors member

I ordered the Moshi Palmguard after reading about it here and trying it in person at Macworld. It really is a great piece of protection. It's very thin, and the color and texture are near matches to the aluminum body.

My one complaint -- and only because I can be obsessive about perfection -- is that it can be difficult to put on straight. Once it's on, the adhesive is very strong and difficult to remove without some force and creasing the Palmguard. So there's no wiggle room for adjustments after you apply it. If this matters to you, my suggestion is to line it up before you remove the sticker's back to get a sense of the spacing and center it with the trackpad as you apply it.

On a related note -- I was in an Apple Store about a week ago, and a guy was asking one of the employees about palm rest area protection for his new MacBook, complaining that his white MacBook's palm rest had worn out and discolored very quickly and that he didn't want similar wear on his new computer. The customer mentioned he knew Marware made something for the palm rest, but didn't like the feel of it. The Apple employee was blank on any product out there (Apple or third-party) and almost defensive as if that's not a problem he should worry about. The employee then tried to suggest iKlear "to clean any problems with dirt you may have." The customer responded that his problem wasn't with dirt, it was with wear. I was across the MacBook Pro table and chuckled. The employee clearly missed the point. I strongly recommended Moshi to the guy, told him to google it, the Apple employee pulled up the website and then walked away. The guy asked me a few more questions and seemed pretty excited about the Palmguard. Good deed done.

23. ndstrenge macrumors regular

I had the trackpad film on but took it off after a couple of weeks. Not quite as responsive. I prefer the glass... it's faster, smoother, and more predictable. No problem taking it off. I was just scared I was actually going to pull the glass.

I advise ditching the trackpad film.

24. Oversoul macrumors member

I also want to add that Moshi/aevoe ships out of Milpitas, CA for those of you who want to get a sense of shipping. I ordered mine with express delivery not knowing when I'd get it and not wanting to wait 2-3 weeks. If I had known Moshi shipped from Milpitas, and since I live in the Bay Area, I would've just gone standard.

Also another tip, for a limited time, you might want to try promotional code "macworld09" to take $5 your order. ***I don't know if this code is still good*** but one of the guys at the Moshi booth said it'd be good for a "few weeks" after MacWorld.

25. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

My sentiments exactly... I LOVE the feel of the new trackpad, and I haven't seen any stain or signs of wear on it, so I think i'll leave it be..

EDIT: HOLY COW!!! My order left San Francisco on Friday, and it's already on the East Coast by this morning... I'm expecting it either later today or first thing Monday morning..