Moto 360 decided my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by deanfitz1, Mar 27, 2015.

1. deanfitz1 macrumors member

Tried on a Moto 360 to gauge a size for the :apple:Watch.

Decided to go for the 42mm as its 4mm smaller in height than this Moto 360 and about 1mm thinner.

Wrist size 160mm

Attached Files:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The paper cut out for the 42mm fits exactly over my Pebble watch but of course the apple watch is more screen and less bezel.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

Why are you wearing a Nest thermostat on your wrist?

That's the biggest difference between Apple and the rest. Somebody at Motorola actually signed off on mass producing a circular watch face (which isn't necessarily bad) that is massively out of proportion (bad) and has a display that isn't a complete circle (really bad!). And the worst part is that he probably still works there!

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

This made me LOL at my desk. :p

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

6. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I saw someone wearing one of those yesterday. I think he was trying to flash it to get me to ask about it but I really didn't care. Looked silly I thought.

7. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Looked so much better in the ad, I don't know, but that just looks odd.

Watches look fine round, these really are not watches or jewelry so we need to leave the past in the dust.

I think Apple made the right choice with square, just wish it had a better name;)

8. zacheryjensen, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I also tried this watch on to get an idea of what it's like to wear an insanely oversized smart watch.

[​IMG]

I am someone who generally prefers very slim, sleek watches with a classical size ratio, so as a comparison, here's me in my daily wear watch (Citizen Stiletto) which is 36mm across the face:

[​IMG]

Stark difference. I'm still on the fence about 42 vs. 38, but, I'm sure the 42 would be passable, if maybe a little big still. I would just go 38 but the notion of even just a little more battery life in the 42 forces me to consider it.

BTW, I keep seeing people say they printed the apple watch size demo thing and it was the same size as their pebble... no it isn't. The smallest shipping pebble, the steel, is still 4mm taller than the apple watch and the hideous original model is significantly bigger than that. You probably printed things wrong.

However, that said, the pebble steel is probably the closest sizing analog you can find right now. It's only 4mm taller and slightly narrower. If that looks/feels good then the 42mm Apple watch will be fine. If it seems a little big, go with the 38. The Moto 360, however, isn't a very good analog because it's round and round watches look smaller than rectangular ones when they share the same size across the wrist, due to the corners of the rectangle.

My wrist is 167mm where I wear my watch, for comparing with OP.

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Same here, tried one on and it is definitely huge, but I could even live with its size if I needed to. I think I will be very happy with the 42mm even if some people think it is too big for my wrist.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I wouldn't worry. People said the 6+ was too big and after a few days it was perfect for me.

11. 8CoreWhore, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

My God, that Moto 360 looks terrible. It's a freaking manhole cover. :eek:

12. methaw macrumors newbie

methaw

Thanks for the photos! This is really helping me to decide which one to pre-order. I have about 171mm wrists and have been going back and forth with what size to get. I've downloaded the ARWatch app and have made cutouts of both 38mm and 42mm. Tried to compare them to my pebble watch. Im probably 90% sure that i'll go with the 42mm.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't agree with the second point about the display driver area.

Sure, I expect every single person including Motorola would like that not to be there, but, as with all things, you have to accept a compromise based upon available technology when you make any device.

What idiot at Apple "signed off" the 1 megapixel camera on the back on the iPad 2 ?
    that was even less forgivable as it was not the case of a higher quality sensor was not possible.
    But Apple make that choice.

We can look at the Apple watch now and find faults, however, we need to assume this is what Apple felt was they best they can offer for the price today.

Like Motorola's round screen, in time all products will be improved upon.
    You can't wait forever before releasing something. Someone has to say, OK, we draw the line here.

14. hemolyzer macrumors member

This thing is hideous.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I assume you never used one.

How is it massively out of proportion?

16. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The hideous most popular watch that has the strongest following. :confused:

You need to accept, not everyone likes the look of the Apple watch.

You argue this is about fashion and not tech, then go onto to list tech reasons why the Apple watch is better.

But this is fashion, as you point out. We don't care about the tech, perhaps we don't like to look of it, and in fashion, that's ALL that matters.

17. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Pictures don't even do it justice. Walk into a best buy and look for the 360. It's one of the ugliest pieces of technology I've ever seen.

----------

Yep, but nothing good has been released yet, except for maybe pebble steel.

18. the future macrumors 6502a

Huh? Pebble sold way more than Moto.

19. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I thought I might have made the wrong decision when I got my 6+. For a few days I thought it was monstrous. Now when I pick up my wife's 6 it feels too small, and when I pick up my daughter's 5S I wonder how it was even useful. The 4S and below just feels ridiculously tiny now.

I am going for the 42mm :apple:Watch for the screen size AND for the extra battery life. I've got a friend with the 360 and while it's nice looking (better than any Samsung anyway) it's so BIG on his wrist. Because of the size and shape it also looks extremely thick.

20. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I like the Moto 360. At its release, was the nicest smart watch out at the time. Id prefer it be slightly smaller with a higher res screen.. still nice though.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, and it's funny how much love there was everywhere back then.

It's also funny how many/most here though the Apple watch was going to be something like a better more luxury, higher spec version of the Moto360 before we saw the Apple watch and suddenly the moto 360 was the wrong type of product almost overnight :)

I'm the 1st to accept the moto360 is in need of improvements, and I'm hoping it will get some.

Part of me things, Motorolla is the wrong company and they are not going to do what needs to be done to carry it on, it may of been a one hit, almost wonder that they don't fix and just milk till it dies.

I hope others continue with the general concept however.
    As this is fashion, not everyone is going to like what Apple are offering.

We need choice

22. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

That's nice. However, over over 75% of iPhone 6 sales are the 4.7". :apple:

23. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Over 75%? I'd love to see a link to where you got this info.

24. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope