Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
TheRegister.co.uk reports on an updated PowerPC MPC7447 from Motorola.

The updated version of the chip (7447A) runs at 1.5GHz. The previous version of the 7447 processor is currently being used in Apple's PowerBooks.

TheRegister speculates that this may power an updated G4 PowerBook revision while we wait for the G5 PowerBook. Previous comments by Apple execs have noted that "it's going to be a while" (stated in Nov 2003) before the G5 makes it into a PowerBook.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Re: Motorola 1.5GHz G4... G4 PowerBooks?

Originally posted by Macrumors
TheRegister.co.uk reports on an updated PowerPC MPC7447 from Motorola.

The updated version of the chip (7447A) runs at 1.5GHz. The previous version of the 7447 processor is currently being used in Apple's PowerBooks.

TheRegister speculates that this may power an updated G4 PowerBook revision while we wait for the G5 PowerBook. Previous comments by Apple execs have noted that "it's going to be a while" (stated in Nov 2003) before the G5 makes it into a PowerBook.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!.....

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
What in the... this thing super overclocked then from 1.42 GHz? The article was was vague, but then again, it's speculation only. And I second just give us the G3 from IBM with altivec, this moto thing has dragged on long enough.

skinEman23

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2004
Well, like I've said all along, there will be an update or price drop before the G5s come to the PB line. I'm hoping that since this update would be minimal they will include a price drop with it.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Joy, and I, like so many other hopeless fools out there, am waiting for the G5 in a pb before I buy one. Mainly b/c, while a laptop would be nice, I don't really need one. I figure by the time a G5 pb comes out, though, I'll need a new computer, and can use it to replace my 450 G4 as well.

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
This, I think, was expected by all rational organic life forms - excepting the mac addicted.

Oh well, I really don't like to buy Rev 1 products. I may break down and buy. Wonder how hot this processor is going to get? At what temp do we melt?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
The G3 being the noted exception, it has always taken quite a while for a new generation of chips to make it into the Powerbooks. So long, in fact, that the 604 NEVER made it into a powerbook. There will be G5 powerbooks, but it will be another 9 months to a year. I don't like it either, but it really is time to accept it.

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
With the powertune 970's shipping, I don't see the justification of going to another rev. from Motorola. The G4's cost more, don't perform better, and powertune adds the true power scalability.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Stupid Moto...can't even design a new chip...just keeps overclocking and overclocking....lol, I wonder if they ever came out with a new G4 after the original, or if it is just a super overclocked 400 MHz G4...j/k

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
How can the G4 at 1.5 GHz be any cooler than the G5 at 1.5 GHz? It just does not make sense!!

I realize that the chipset also produces a lot of heat, but even if it was double the G4 chipset, the Powertune technology and other benefits of the G5 should make up for it.

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
This was interesting until I saw it was from the Register. The register has NEVER EVER gotten any motorola/G4 speculation correct. Remember their g5 stories?? Ridiculous!!!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by chazmox
With the powertune 970's shipping, I don't see the justification of going to another rev. from Motorola. The G4's cost more, don't perform better, and powertune adds the true power scalability.

I'm not sure where you got that the G4s cost more... it's probably not true.

arn

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
On the other hand, if these chips include the 1 MB L3 cache, then they will be better than what is currently shipping in the Powerbooks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by Photorun
What in the... this thing super overclocked then from 1.42 GHz? The article was was vague, but then again, it's speculation only. And I second just give us the G3 from IBM with altivec, this moto thing has dragged on long enough.
On the article itself, I have no opinion.

your overclokcing comment, why do you and a whole hoard of other people insist that all the Motorola G4s above 1GHz are overclocked?

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
I'm in a position where I'm going to HAVE to buy a new 12" laptop sometime in the next 6-8 months. I'm starting grad school in August and my 15" PB is on it's last legs. I'm probably not going to have the $ to buy a G5 if they come out in that time frame, but maybe I can get a G4 on close out?

Whatever happens, I hope it happens fast.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Re: Re: Motorola 1.5GHz G4... G4 PowerBooks?

Originally posted by NicoMan
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!.....

Exaclty, I have money that is burning a hole in my bank account, waiting for a PB G5.

I hope these G4 chips will just be used in the updated iBooks and the PBs have G5s.

Originally posted by nighthawk
How can the G4 at 1.5 GHz be any cooler than the G5 at 1.5 GHz? It just does not make sense!!

I realize that the chipset also produces a lot of heat, but even if it was double the G4 chipset, the Powertune technology and other benefits of the G5 should make up for it.

The G5 has longer pipelines than the G4 (more pipelines makes it easier to increase the Ghz, like with the P4). But longer pipleines also generate more heat.

But I do agree, the G5 is on 0.09nm while the G4 is on 0.13nm, so the G5 should generate less heat.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Originally posted by nighthawk
On the other hand, if these chips include the 1 MB L3 cache, then they will be better than what is currently shipping in the Powerbooks.

I didn't think that these chips could support L3 cache. Can someone say for sure?

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
6 months, 90 Mhz, 2 watts.

Good to see MSG being productive.

Apart from IBMs numbers, how do these chips REALLY compare to the 970fx? If the numbers quoted by IBM are based on having PowerTune turned ON, and these numbers are BEFORE the speedstep tech is used, then are the G4s actually lower power in the real world?

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
There will be G5 powerbooks, but it will be another 9 months to a year. I don't like it either, but it really is time to accept it.

I completely disagree with that. In fact, I would be willing to bet my left testicle that you are not only wrong, but mislead in your beliefs.

9 months to a year when they already have the chip (aka the BIG thing that was holding up the G5 powerbooks)? Are you crazy? Without a doubt, pbook g5 will not arrive any later than september, and thats a bit slow if you ask me.

As far as this rumor is concerned, I also dont think it makes sense to overclock a g4 to make it 1.5, when the g5 processor runs much cooler at the same speed. Especially when their consumers are so obviously ready for the G5. Apple has made its business out of pleasing consumers, so I don't think it will be G4 revisions. Also, as far as I am concerned, if someone asked me when powerbooks were due in November, and I thought they were going to be released in June, I would also say a long time. And as many people on these boards have pointed out, if anyone at apple said "we have g5 pbooks coming out in may", then the entire g4 pbook line would sufer huge sales loss up until that point. So, as far as I am concerned, that means nothing.

your overclokcing comment, why do you and a whole hoard of other people insist that all the Motorola G4s above 1GHz are overclocked?

Okay, I'll tell you why everyone here says they are overclocked at 1.5: it was said because ITS TRUE! its just a fact, jack. Anyone who has been paying attention to Apple knows that. Just like anyone who has been following baseball would know that A-rod is now a yank (blech!) So, we "insist", because we all know it to be a fact.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Motorola 1.5GHz G4... G4 PowerBooks?

Originally posted by hvfsl
The G5 has longer pipelines than the G4 (more pipelines makes it easier to increase the Ghz, like with the P4). But longer pipleines also generate more heat.

crud, I didn't know they had that. How close is it now to the P4? What I mean is, before, you would take a mac's processor's speed and times it by 1.5-2 to get a window' prcessor's speed (at least, had always heard it was that, b/c of the pipelines). What is it now?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Like it or lump it, I think this chip will be Apple's choice. The article is vague and I'm not cetain from it whether we'd be gettings 1.42 or 1.5 GHz G4s (overclocked?). The extra power savings aren't that good but would allow the 12" PB to move to 1.25GHz as I said in the other thread. It will also allow time for IBM to make enough 90nm G5s (and thus allow for new Power Macs now, not in 3 months due to shipping delay).

But Q2 or Q3 delivery?

This will then allow the iBooks to move up to the 7447 rev A processors I guess and then onto these once the PowerBooks do finally go G5.

It's looking more and more like Steve meant every word of that "we'd like to have PowerBook G5s by the end of next year [2004]"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.