Motorola iTunes Phone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Motorola reportedly showed their upcoming iTunes compatible phone today:

The new iTunes compatible E1060 model phone, which the company said is aimed at music aficionados, allows users to download and carry a limited number of songs in the iTunes format.
No photos or details yet available.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Damn you Wordmunger. I thought I had 1st post. ;)

I wonder which carrier(s) will offer the phone...

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
I would guess it would be a GSM phone, meaning Cingular. It always seems like the cools phones never come out for Verizon(CDMA).

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
I like the idea that Apple has teamed up with Motorola to provide iTunes support thingy on their new phone, but in my experience Motorolas are clunky phones which are nowhere near as good as the likes of the Samsung D-500. And from that pic, it looks fugly.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
NOkia signed up with MS to go with their media player.

This should have been Apple.

Why, oh, why, Motorola? Nokia #1 Cell phone manufacturer.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I'm thinking do to the already present relationship Apple has with Motto.
Stella said:
NOkia signed up with MS to go with their media player.

This should have been Apple.

Why, oh, why, Motorola? Nokia #1 Cell phone manufacturer.
The phone isn't the best looking phone in the world, but i'd get one in a heartbeat.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
As this thread seems to have over taken the previous Motoroloa/iTunes thread, I might as well ask my question here as well:

Could somebody clear this up for me...is the iTunes feature going to be installed across the board on all Moto phones (or at least all new Moto phones) or is it only going to be on specific handsets? I originally thought it was going to be a Moto software feature on all their phones but all this talk of 'The iTunes Phone' seems to suggest otherwise.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I guess people really do care a lot about the looks of a gadget. I more care about what it can do. I buy solely on it's cababilities. If it looks nice it is simply a bonus after the fact. I wonder how much memory it has or what kind of expansion capabilities it has.

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Apple Industrial Design

Man I really hope Apple re-brands this with some Apple Industrial Design. Or at least comes in an all white option... I guess it would go well with and Incredible Hulk lunch box.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
I'm not clear on what "iTunes compatible" means. Will you be able to access and purchase songs from iTMS directly on the phone, or just load songs onto it from a computer? What is the song capacity of the device (I presume it only uses flash, and doesn't have a hard drive)?

Details!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
WOW, that might just set the grand record for the UGLIEST PHONE EVER. my goodness, that makes me vomit. I hope they don't screw up their RAZR spinoffs, that's a beautiful piece of machinery.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
From previous announcements, it would seem that this means there will be PLAYBACK of songs transferred from iTunes, with an interface that is iPod-like. Capacity will be low--a flash player.

Think phone + Shuffle + screen. Not a bad feature, but not make-or-break for me unless it does more than we know. I do like the scroll wheel though, on ANY device!

Now... if that screen is 2" as the text says... then those are some TINY number keys!!

EDIT: FWIW, the UI shows in this supposed (January) Moto phone picture from http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000503026441/

Looks like my iPod Photo :)

Prez1082

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2004
Tulse said:
I'm not clear on what "iTunes compatible" means. Will you be able to access and purchase songs from iTMS directly on the phone, or just load songs onto it from a computer? What is the song capacity of the device (I presume it only uses flash, and doesn't have a hard drive)?

Details!
I was reading up on this...from the motorola website, press release. It will use iTunes, but will also accept other formats of music. The ability to purchase music on a phone is probably still a year or so away, because of the lack of speed availiable to download. Probably a USB or bluetooth abilitiy to interact with itunes to load up your phone

poru

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
un peut partout
ixnay

Well it's sure as hell not going to replace my iPod -- I'd rather have a nice slimline phone since I'll typically have my iPod anyway.

I saw some gorgeous designer phones in Japan last month (from KDDI). I don't know why most phones look dreadful.

Still, interesting if there's a java client for iTunes...