Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloysterpeteuk

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
7.1mm thick?. Naaa it may be nice and thin but just how thin is it at the fattest point?. All these so called super thin mobiles always seem to have unsightly bulges in them that make them no thinner than the iPhone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I always disliked that hump on the top backside from some of Motorola's phones. This was like the Droid X.

But when it comes to materials used and durability, they are one of the best ones along with HTC. Moto is the granddaddy of all cell phones, and they build phones that are rock solid and with rock solid reception. That is their forte. KEVLAR fiber coating is interesting. Splash-proof. The RAZR returns. I can't wait when Motorola makes the next Nexus phone.

Good time to be on Verizon. They get the iPhone 4S and many of the best Android phones like the Droid Bionic, Droid RAZR, Droid X2, Droid 3, Droid Incredible 2, ThunderBolt, and eventually the Galaxy Nexus.

Look at Verizon's lineup (sans RAZR and Galaxy Nexus)
http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/carrier.php?c=2

They have the best iPhone, the best BlackBerry, a WP7 phone, a PlayStation phone, and the best Android collection. Their deck is stacked. Add LTE to the mix and things are looking great for them. And 90% of Americans don't travel outside the country or even leave their own state to even care about GSM.

disarticulate

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
If that thing is "7.1mm thick" then my macbook air is 3mm thick.

:eek:GOOO!!:eek: Whats with the giant buffalo hump on that thing?

Guess they should have named it.... (puts on sunglasses)....quasiMOTO. YYYEEAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! :D

aelll1.jpg

Last edited:

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Did you read my post at all? I am AGREEING with you.

Lmao sorry I missed that's anyways I really think this phone could be better but I don't understand why they have to got with 4.3 inch , my wife will not get anything above 4 inches and even then she thinks is a lil big , i got an iPad and a evo 3D and iPhone as well i think 3.5 - 4 inch is perfect sizes for most people :D

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Really? Does anyone else think that the MotoACTV will be pulled from the market within 6 months. Why? Because it's not an iPod. How many other companies, besides Apple, have successfully entered the mini .MP3 player space? I don't care how many bells and whistles you tack on to a product like this, if it's not an iPod, it'll sit on store shelves.

Yes I will agree that this will never be as successful because it is not an iPod. Fact is by this point Apple could release a new color and people would go nuts for it, however I am just excited that someone has actually tried innovating the whole "smart watch" thing a little further. It will never sell like an iPod, however you have to admit it looks like a pretty nice device and I could see Moto doing pretty good with it. Not iPod level, but it might gain a pretty nice group of followers. I have an iPod Nano, but this MotoACTV looks like it would do so much more. Love the idea of wifi and bluetooth on such a small device.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Too big.

I've been putting iPhones in my back jeans pocket for years ..... that skinny thing will flex & break. And I don't carry a purse. :D

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Water resistance ?

Yep it also has a level of water resistance built into it. I'm thinking this might be my Droid 2 replacement. I was considering the iPhone 4S, but I just don't want such a fragile phone and I hate to go down in screen size. Also 4G is coming to my area in November and it would be awesome to be able to use it.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Using the "RAZR" namesake is obviously a desperate attempt on Motorola's part. The funny thing about it is that after the initial manufacturing run RAZRs were horrible quality. Motorola was cranking them out with cheaper and cheaper parts by the week. People broke those things like nothing. I'm not sure I would want to tie those memories to my latest offering, but whatever.

*Note: Before you flame me, I owned a RAZR and my last phone was a Moto Droid. I'm not a Moto hater.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Yep it also has a level of water resistance built into it. I'm thinking this might be my Droid 2 replacement. I was considering the iPhone 4S, but I just don't want such a fragile phone and I hate to go down in screen size. Also 4G is coming to my area in November and it would be awesome to be able to use it.

Oh that's some cool feature well I guess will got to wait and see of it really works lol

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Yes I will agree that this will never be as successful because it is not an iPod. Fact is by this point Apple could release a new color and people would go nuts for it, however I am just excited that someone has actually tried innovating the whole "smart watch" thing a little further. It will never sell like an iPod, however you have to admit it looks like a pretty nice device and I could see Moto doing pretty good with it. Not iPod level, but it might gain a pretty nice group of followers. I have an iPod Nano, but this MotoACTV looks like it would do so much more. Love the idea of wifi and bluetooth on such a small device.

The reason that no company has entered the "smart watch" space is because there's no space to enter. Watches are worn for two reasons: 1.) to tell time; and 2.) as a fashion accessory. Since most people use their cell phones to tell time, that means watches are primarily worn as a fashion accessory. The MotoACTV isn't fashionable. If anything, it might be geek fashionable, but that's it. So, Motorola is trying to enter a space (.mp3 players and watches) whose market share is being decimated by smartphones. All the proof you need of this trend can be found at your local gym. Five years ago, everyone at the gym had .mp3 players (mainly iPods). Now, they're all working out with their smartphones.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
The only Android phone I would ever buy is a Nexus phone. Unless you like being stuck with an OS that won't get upgraded while Google rolls out new features. I bought an HTC Thunderbolt back in March when it came out. It still doesn't have Gingerbread on it and Ice Cream Sandwich is rolling out! By next month it will be two OS updates behind and it was a brand new phone!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The reason that no company has entered the "smart watch" space is because there's no space to enter. Watches are worn for two reasons: 1.) to tell time; and 2.) as a fashion accessory. Since most people use their cell phones to tell time, that means watches are primarily worn as a fashion accessory. The MotoACTV isn't fashionable. If anything, it might be geek fashionable, but that's it. So, Motorola is trying to enter a space (.mp3 players and watches) whose market share is being decimated by smartphones. All the proof you need of this trend can be found at your local gym. Five years ago, everyone at the gym had .mp3 players (mainly iPods). Now, they're all working out with their smartphones.

Then why has so many people purchased watch bands for their Nanos? Someone likes this idea. I'm pretty sure that this is more of a hobby project for Motorola then anything else. It's a cool idea and Moto appears like they are just trying to expand a little into some new niche markets.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Looks like a decent phone, but from past experiences, the build quality of Motorola phones leave much to be desired after 2 months use.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Really? Does anyone else think that the MotoACTV will be pulled from the market within 6 months. Why? Because it's not an iPod. How many other companies, besides Apple, have successfully entered the mini .MP3 player space? I don't care how many bells and whistles you tack on to a product like this, if it's not an iPod, it'll sit on store shelves.

Depends on how they market it. As it looks now, they're going after the fitness crowd, a group of often fantatical and dedicated people...read possible loyal customers. Most failed mp3 players never had a specific target audience beyond "mp3 player buyers".

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Looks like a decent phone, but from past experiences, the build quality of Motorola phones leave much to be desired after 2 months use.

Gorilla glass, stainless steel, kevlar with a water resistant coating. If this thing won't hold up for you I don't see how an iPhone 4 could.

DerekTS

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
There's going to be a lawsuit over Apple/Motorola and that watch. Just wait for it.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Gorilla glass, stainless steel, kevlar with a water resistant coating. If this thing won't hold up for you I don't see how an iPhone 4 could.

I've had many kevlar products in the past. It's strong but it doesn't mean it won't look tattered and old after some modest use.

Ruggedness and build quality are not the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.