Motorola Teases New Tablet in Teaser Promo, Disses the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aohus, Dec 20, 2010.

1. aohus, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

Motorola comes out with a new teaser ad with fists swinging. Motorola is within a few weeks of introducing their flagship tablet using Android Honeycomb OS, and calls the iPad just a 'giant iPhone.'

I don't think Motorola gets it but, they do realize they're competing with the iPad2 come January, not iPad, right?

Update1: Video of the Motorola Tablet with Honeycomb OS in action

[​IMG]

Hi-Res Images of the Motorola Tablet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they aren't competing with the Rosetta Stone either. The ad was played for comedy more than anything, and with the average consumer probably not knowing that the iPad 2 is on its way, it seems to me like a very effective (and funny) ad.

So long as they can live up to they hype they've now created. If they not only fail to better the iPad 2, but can't even outdo the original iPad, then this will be a pretty embarrassing ad for them.

And as for the iPad 2, I'd say look for it late feb/early march, not in january

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

That was a fun teaser - love the little jokes (rumoured 2012 self-destruct feature? :D).

Not sure knocking the iPad as being a "big phone" makes a lot of sense, though... at the end of the day, tablets really are oversized phones, and I'm sure Motorola's tablet will be no different.

Still, interested to see what they bring to the table... :)

4. MicroApple macrumors regular

I don't like the insult of calling any tablet just a giant XXX phone. Cause really what is the difference between iOS and Android tablets. Their both, if you really want to think of it that way, a giant phone. Almost identical software, usually same apps, but a bigger screen. But really that argument doesn't work against the iPad or Android tablets.

5. MicroApple macrumors regular

Ha you said the same thing as me lol

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I don't get what Motorola are digging at with the iPad either. It has already proven itself to be a successful and functional tablet with some great tablet optimized apps.

The dig at the GalaxyTab can be seen as true but the iPad is far more than a big iPhone.

The big seller for Motorola is that it will be released with Android 3.0 honeycomb which is the tablet optimized version of Android.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Probably the last nice words written about it. :D

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I feel the same way. Other than the iPad's, the other taunts made sense (some of which were quite funny). As aohus already stated, I wonder if MOT knows they're going up against iPad 2?

10. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

11. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Motorola can't even get it's jabs right. The iPad is more like a giant iPod Touch than an iPhone.

12. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

13. kiljoy616 macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

I would add that I want my tablet to be a big iphone, can't wait till next gen ipad. Games are good, programs are nicely done, and I can video conference with friends what is not to like. Battery is good and next one should be even better. So they better be bringing out some incredible OS.

14. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

People think of the iPhone first and not the iPod Touch, so their point is still valid.

15. shartypants macrumors 6502a

shartypants

"Motorola Tablet. But it's built on Android."

16. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Dumb.

Dumb teaser and 3D effect. What's the point of having the bee at the end...

17. WiiDSmoker, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010

WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

If we pretty much know what the iPad 2 is going to have, then I'm sure Motorla does as well.

Honeycomb...Android 3.0

18. yamaha106 macrumors member

19. kenypowa, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010

kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I agree. This is a fantastic teaser.

Andy Rubin showed the protoype of this tablet and there is no "Home" button on this tablet. For years, Apple has been trying hard to get rid of the home button. Except this time, Google achieves this first. This is why Google states 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 (gingerbread) is not meant for tablets.

But hey, when Apple gets rid of the home button in iPad 3.0, they will once again tout this "revolutionary" feature.

20. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

because the OS will be Android 2.4 or 3.0, dubbed Honeycomb. Bees, honeycomb. get it?

Awesome promo ad.

21. z4n3 Guest

z4n3

Something tells me that they should not have put the wasp part at the end!!!

Just waiting for someone to make a spoof version that says

(Motorola tablet, big hype small sting)

:D

22. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

It's a bee....

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

24. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Yeah, well, almost a decade ago we saw lots of pot shots taken at the iPod, and lots of pundits predicting that soon the iPod would fade in market share, and how the future belonged to the competitors who were rushing to market and . . .

. . . yeah, we know how that turned out. Seems the infrastructure around the iPod made it more popular than those competitor's devices. It could never be beaten, and it never was. Despite the predictions.

Same thing will be true with the iPad.