Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mozilla announced the launch of Firefox 3 web browser today. Firefox 3 is said to incorporate over 15,000 improvements and claims to be over two to three times faster than its predecessor.
“We’re really proud of Firefox 3 and it just shows what a committed, energized global community can do when they work together,” said John Lilly, CEO of Mozilla.
Firefox 3 offers enhancements to its user interface, increased performance, security and customization. Top new features listed include:

- One-Click Bookmarking
- Improved Performance
- Full Zoom
- Smart Location Bar
- Platform-Native Look & Feel
- Password Manager

Firefox 3 is available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux as a free download at Mozilla.com.

Article Link

pyr0sphere

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
From what I can tell, it's faster than Safari 4 with SquirrelFish but the fonts look much bigger than in Safari and because of that, don't look as good.

This might be the only thing that is keeping me from using FF

Comment

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
From what I can tell, it's faster than Safari 4 with SquirrelFish but the fonts look much bigger than in Safari and because of that, don't look as good
Yea, I just downloaded and noticed it. Weird.

I'm a Safari user, I'll give Firefox a try. I've always had it as a backup but never really used it. I'm happy with Safari and it integrates better then Firefox. But I'll give it a try, see how I like it.

Comment

ShaunC

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008
im liking the smart bookmarks already

miles faster than safari aswell

Comment

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Im a die hard Safari user but I must say that FF 3 is a much improved version. Ive been using it and I like the new features. Its definitely speedy and more responsive!

Comment

Delta608

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Tampa Bay
Bookmarks

It didnt import all my last Firefox version(2) bookmarks from the toolbar into #3..There is no export function on # 2..HOw do I get em into #3..?

Comment

dmw2692004

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
I have been using firefox since it came out and i live by it, but this is an AWSOME improvement from firefox 2.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
A little bit disingenuous for Mozilla to suggest that Firefox was “created to promote openness, innovation and opportunity” on the Web and Safari wasn't.

Both browsers share that similar goal. Considering Webkit (the engine behind Safari) has been a good deal more innovative than Mozilla recently in bleeding edge standards support (offline databases, HTML 5, CSS 3 etc.) and Javascript performance it should also get a tick.

Picture1-8.png

And before people rush to tell me that Apple has misrepresented facts in the past in adverts as well. I already know, but that is irrelevant, the discussion is about Mozilla, not Apple.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Well, I looked around it... I think I'll stick with Safari 3 though...

something that it drew to my attention though is that Mac Rumor's site favicon has an ugly white box around it. I think you aught to make it transparent arn... (or whoever it is that would be the person who would do that.) Instant Alpha aught to make it pretty easy. :)

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The look & feel isn't THAT native:

http://www.sanneblad.se/johan/?p=180

(Which is a shame since one great thing about a Mac is how most apps share certain predictable behaviors--including visual ones.)

Nonetheless, sounds like a great update over FF2.

Comment

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Faster than Safari 4 at WHAT?

The latest WebKit build is almost twice as fast at JavaScript as Firefox 3, and the WebKit team is just getting started with SquirrelFish.

The UI is hideous. The Prefs panels look bizarre. Font rendering is still balls.

Comment

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I hate to turn people away from a brilliant Apple product, but here are some extensions that will make Firefox more like Safari:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1951 (Loading thingy in awesome (address/location) bar)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6704 (Safari theme)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1245 (SnapBack - isn't exactly the same)

Along with those suggestions, Firefox might just be my new default. Fantastic improvement over Firefox 2.

I loved Safari, just couldn't handle it beachballing so often.

Comment

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
I've got AdBlock but I am getting ads everywhere... what's up with that? And yes it's on.

When I first installed AdBlock it asked me to subscribe to some websites, but I didn't chose any, and I think that's why no ads are being blocked. But I can't figure out how to get that pop up to show again so I can chose to subscribe.

Comment

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
I was a dedicated Firefox user back on the PC box, but have been on Safari since I switched to my mac about three years ago.

I would love to fool around with this newest release and try and find some add-ons to possibly promote my use of firefox instead of safari, but unfortunately I cannot. I must've had a corrupt download or something, because firefox crashes each and every time I try and open it. :apple:'s safari doesn't.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.