mstand is awsome

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RKpro, Jun 4, 2009.

1. RKpro macrumors 6502

About 60% of the time I'm using my mbp on a desk, so I thought I should get a stand for more comfort/ergonomics.

My mstand came in yesterday, and so far it's been fantastic. The angle and height is perfect now. Which is a good thing, because it's not adjustable. In the first day of use I immediately noticed how much it is better for my neck. (Looking forward, instead of looking down) I've got Logitech VX mouse I got a few years ago, and I'll pick up a Logitech Wave keyboard tomorrow for my perfect setup. I'm not a fan of Apple desktop keyboards/mice.

This thing is also supposed work as a cooling pad, because it's big solid piece of aluminum. And it sort of does, but nowhere near as good as real cooling pad, because the mbp sits on rubber strips (to prevent scratches and sliding) so there is a small gap between the mbp and mstand, and that gap prevents the mstand from conducting most of the heat away, because air is a good insulator. (see pic 3) Still, when I was rendering a video in Premiere, the mstand got warm, so it's doing something...

I was also considering the griffin elevator stand, but that one doesn't look like it provides much support for the mbp. The last thing I want is my computer ending up on the floor. The mstand is pretty heavy and holds the computer in place, there is no way it will accidentally fall off. Even if you use the mbp keyboard the mstand doesn't bounce. It's a very solid stand.

I've wanted this for months. It's nearly impossible to find in Canada, even on Newegg, it's on and off all the time. Taxed and shipped to Canada costs almost $80CAD. It's a bit hard to justify paying that much for a bent sheet of metal. But it works well, and looks good too, just like the mbp. I highly recommend this (+keyboard and mouse) for someone who sits behind a desk all day.

By the way, it looks great:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know this thing has been around forever, but I always enjoy unboxing new tech

July 8, 2009 edit:
    I've wrote up a proper in-depth review here.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats... love my mStand as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Looks awesome, also love mine. I use mine just a stand for my MB. A bluetooth apple wireless alu keyboard is a must if you have one of these.

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

congrats, i maybe buying one for myself soon...thanks for sharing. Just a question, i was thinking about using this for my MBP and put it beside my apple 23" cinema display, i am just worried that the MBP screen will be a bit higher than the cinema display. what do you think? can you measure how many cm from the table floor to the top of the screen is the height (the very edge of the led screen), please?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Add an Apple Cinema Display too

Edit: They are the perfect height together... I have the mStand next to my 23" ACD

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Thanks, i was a bit worried, i will be joining the mstand club in the near future :D

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Funny you would mention the height; I'm a little too short for mine. (Notice that I am the problem and not my apple gear!:p)

8. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

9. drossad macrumors regular

glad you are happy with it! I love mine as well.

10. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Glad you are liking it - the mstand is indeed one very awesome piece of equipment. As another poster said, now the next thing you will be purchasing is a sweet Apple 24" LED Cinema Display :D

11. RKpro thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Guys, I think we should post up (start) an Mstand thread over on the Picture Galllery area.

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Looks pretty damn sweet. Anyone use this along with a monitor? Just wondering if it's overkill.

14. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

That looks like it should be in an art gallery. Nice.

15. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I've been looking for a good laptop stand and because of this thread, I just ordered an mstand. :) $50, not bad at all.

16. magamo macrumors 6502

Awesome looking. I've been wanting this stand thing, but the thing is I always use the 4 finger gesture on the tracpad even when using mouse because it's more intuitive for me. Maybe I have to break the habit...

17. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

That would be super easy to make my self. But then i wouldnt be able to say i have an mstand.

18. inkhead macrumors regular

I own 4 of the new unibody macbook pros (2) 17's and (2) 15's, I'm using this to illustrate the point that $50 is no problem to spend...

Even with plenty of finance i wouldn't buy one of these. $50 for a stand is a ripoff.

Especially when it's aluminum. The last THING you need touching your MBP is more aluminum, why not just take a brillo pad to the case. I borrowed one for a while, and unless you treat the machine like a babies head, it will scratch up the side to the extreme.

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

I agree its just a cheap piece of bent metal. But what do you need 4 mbps for?

20. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Thanks :D i have already ordered one yesterday, one of guys assured me it will sit perfectly beside my cinema display, this what was delaying my purchase.

21. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

got mine a few weeks ago, i agree its awesome.

The only way i can stand playing hours of poker on my MBP, my neck and back would implode without this.

22. MacBrim macrumors newbie

Just got mine this week and i love it !
    using it with apples bluetooth keyboard an mighty mouse on my MBP una 15"

23. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

It has rubber feet on the topside. It's not aluminum to aluminum! I have an mStand too and I've used both a MB and a MBP on it extensively and neither suffered one little scratch. It's the perfect stand for your aluminum MacBooks if you ask me!

24. iGary Guest

iGary

25. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

+1

The mStand blows away the Griffin Elevator IMO.