Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I was in Best Buy last week looking for a 32gb ATT iPad Air. They didn't have any in stock so I asked them if they even got any of those models in. The manager replied they got a lot of each configuration and they were still getting them, however they sell them out as fast as they get them. I ended up ordering from Apple. We have no Apple store here. I tend to believe they are selling a lot of Airs most everywhere ATM. The Mini's will fly off the shelves too, I have no doubt.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Wow I didn't know this thread I started would turn into a defense of the Surface.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
You're basically pontificating now.

The bottom line. After 1 year of sales, we'll see how the Air fairs compared to year-over-year sales. Until then, nobody, including me and you, knows how well it'll sell.

And you're missing the point about productivity. By design the iPad and iOS are poor at productivity. Terrible. And they won't get better either. Sure you can do some things with them, but desktop publishing isn't one of them. Windows 8.1 and the Surface are both, by design, excellent at productivity. Two main reasons:

1. The Surface has a built in kickstand and optional type cover integrated into the product.
2. Windows 8.1 allows for mouse input.

The iPad is a stripped down slate with no built in stand and no integrated keyboard cover. It relies on bulky, heavy, ugly and generally crappy third party options for a keyboard and stand. And any hope of mouse input is dashed because iOS isn't designed for it.

The iPad is a very good consumption device and a very poor productivity device for many applications.

These are the facts.
There are many types of productivity industries. You Surface fans only focus on one(MS office). The facts are clear the MS Surface is not a great tablet or laptop. It's not a better mobile productivity tool than a laptop. I've seen first hand the frustration of using a surface in my industry(programming fire alarm systems, BMS systems, HVAC systems ect.) it's a fact that the surface is a great device but only for a few.

Last edited:

Nancy G

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
I was in Best Buy last week looking for a 32gb ATT iPad Air. They didn't have any in stock so I asked them if they even got any of those models in. The manager replied they got a lot of each configuration and they were still getting them, however they sell them out as fast as they get them.

BestBuy didn't have ANY LTE versions to sell last week as they did not receive any shipments of the cellular models until well after launch day.

I tend to believe they are selling a lot of Airs most everywhere ATM.

I tend to believe that you are naive.

mavere

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
It ain't. When i bought the iPad 3, i had to wait weeks. When i bought the Air, i walked in 1 hour after they opened and bought one. There was only one other costumer in the shop besides me and i live in the second largest city in my country. The Higher usage is due to more stock avaiable at launch.

So you agree then that even if they are selling a lot of Airs due to high supply, they are still, in fact, selling a lot of Airs.

I don't know where all this passive-aggressive dismissiveness comes from. If you guys must be angry and bitter, be angry and bitter in something where statistics are actually on your side...

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
There are many types of productivity industries. You Surface fans only focus on one(MS office). The facts are clear the MS Surface is not a great tablet or laptop. It's not a better mobile productivity tool than a laptop. I've seen first hand the frustration of using a surface in my industry(programming fire alarm systems, BMS systems, HVAC systems ect.) it's a fact that the surface is a great device but only for a few.

No.

The focus is NOT just on one (MS Office). I've pointed out many different productivity Apps. With the Pro, you get a pressure sensitive stylus and you can run all the native desktop Apps. Photoshop. Illustrator. Film editing software. Anything. Even with the entry level Surface you can run several productivity Apps as full versions on the desktop.

And forget just the software. I've pointed out the fact that mouse input and a full keyboard are more productive for several different productivity applications. This computing paradigm is mostly not possible with the iPad because of a lack of:

1. A file system.
2. Mouse input.
3. Well integrated mouse, keyboard, and stand.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
BestBuy didn't have ANY LTE versions to sell last week as they did not receive any shipments of the cellular models until well after launch day.

I tend to believe that you are naive.
Hmm so maybe he lied to me... I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt regardless and not take your word for it. There is no need to put labels on people Nancy. Try to be nice next time ok.

Nancy G

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2013
Hmm so maybe he lied to me... I think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt regardless and not take your word for it. There is no need to put labels on people Nancy. Try to be nice next time ok.

I'm not suggesting he lied to you, I believe that you are lying to us. BestBuy did not have any LTE versions of the Air in stock to sell (out)the week that you stated. Not because they had sold out as you claimed, but because BestBuy did not receive any.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
No.

The focus is NOT just on one (MS Office). I've pointed out many different productivity Apps. With the Pro, you get a pressure sensitive stylus and you can run all the native desktop Apps. Photoshop. Illustrator. Film editing software. Anything. Even with the entry level Surface you can run several productivity Apps as full versions on the desktop.

And forget just the software. I've pointed out the fact that mouse input and a full keyboard are more productive for several different productivity applications. This computing paradigm is mostly not possible with the iPad because of a lack of:

1. A file system.
2. Mouse input.
3. Well integrated mouse, keyboard, and stand.
I was not comparing it to the iPad, they are two totally different devices. The iPad it not marketed or meant to replace a laptop. The surface is a nice device, but it's not a great one.

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
I was not comparing it to the iPad, they are two totally different devices. The iPad it not marketed or meant to replace a laptop. The surface is a nice device, but it's not a great one.

No, they are not two totally different devices. They are multi-touch tablets.

Your statement that the Surface isn't a great device is your opinion and not a fact. It's currently at a 4.5 star rating on Amazon.

It's not for everyone, just like the iPad isn't. For me, and of course my opinion, the device kicks axx.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sur...384151279&sr=8-2&keywords=microsoft+surface+2

The iPad is pretty great too. I'm just really happy there's an alternative to Apple's iOS now. I hate Android so...

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I do feel while reading comparisons to the Surface and iPad that some expect different things from a tablet. Most of the defence of the Surface seems to list things the iPad can't do. These tasks seem to be things I would do on my laptop rather than the convenient tablet device I use for leisure. Obviously we all expect different things, but one man's negative is another man's 'who cares?'. I personally don't want to run MS Office or attach a keyboard and mouse to my iPad as that isn't the point of the device for me. Others like to do this. The Surface has its market and the iPad has its own one too.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I ordered mine from B&H Photo, they said they were selling like crazy, every variant.

Good to hear. Still loving mine. :)

----------

I'm not suggesting he lied to you, I believe that you are lying to us. BestBuy did not have any LTE versions of the Air in stock to sell (out)the week that you stated. Not because they had sold out as you claimed, but because BestBuy did not receive any.

So you think that story was just made up?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
FWIW my local Apple Store in Belfast, Ireland said they sold around 500 in the first morning. And they're keeping on top of stock no problem.

booksbooks

Suspended
Aug 28, 2013
I do feel while reading comparisons to the Surface and iPad that some expect different things from a tablet. Most of the defence of the Surface seems to list things the iPad can't do. These tasks seem to be things I would do on my laptop rather than the convenient tablet device I use for leisure. Obviously we all expect different things, but one man's negative is another man's 'who cares?'. I personally don't want to run MS Office or attach a keyboard and mouse to my iPad as that isn't the point of the device for me. Others like to do this. The Surface has its market and the iPad has its own one too.

Yet, the iPad is trying to be a device of productivity as Apple has created almost all of its productivity Apps for it, including iWork. The bevy of third party keyboard/stand accessories speaks volumes about the shortfalls of the device when it comes to the use of these Apps. Out of the box, things like Pages are effectively useless without third party accessories (keyboard/stand)

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Yet, the iPad is trying to be a device of productivity as Apple has created almost all of its productivity Apps for it, including iWork. The bevy of third party keyboard/stand accessories speaks volumes about the shortfalls of the device when it comes to the use of these Apps. Out of the box, things like Pages are effectively useless without third party accessories (keyboard/stand)

I wouldn't say the abundance of keyboards are really a "shortfall" of the tablet, per se.

They just help to increase productivity. You *could* do everything with the on screen keyboard, but then it'd just be more difficult.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...and stand.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, the stand is such a weak argument as finding a case with a stand, or folding cover is such a trivial task. and one thing the Surface's kickstand doesn't do is allow you to lay it flat with a slight incline. Due to its design, its far more unstable on your lap compared to something like the smart cover.

Out of the box, things like Pages are effectively useless without third party accessories (keyboard/stand)

So I guess you could say that things like Office are effectively useless at productivity on the Surface without accessories like the type cover and a mouse.

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
You're basically pontificating now.

The bottom line. After 1 year of sales, we'll see how the Air fairs compared to year-over-year sales. Until then, nobody, including me and you, knows how well it'll sell.

And you're missing the point about productivity. By design the iPad and iOS are poor at productivity. Terrible. And they won't get better either. Sure you can do some things with them, but desktop publishing isn't one of them. Windows 8.1 and the Surface are both, by design, excellent at productivity. Two main reasons:

1. The Surface has a built in kickstand and optional type cover integrated into the product.
2. Windows 8.1 allows for mouse input.

The iPad is a stripped down slate with no built in stand and no integrated keyboard cover. It relies on bulky, heavy, ugly and generally crappy third party options for a keyboard and stand. And any hope of mouse input is dashed because iOS isn't designed for it.

The iPad is a very good consumption device and a very poor productivity device for many applications.

These are the facts.

The iPad is a great consumption device consumption device but the surface is terrible at consumption and terrible doing "real work". I've tried repeatedly to use a Surface for work.

----------

No its not. Surface is not better than a laptop and its not better than a tablet. Its a typical jack of all master of none type scenario. Its not anything you'd want to use past the initial hype of being suckered into buying one. You end up going back to your laptop and tablet as separate devices any way. Its as expensive as a laptop yet doesnt offer as much or more functionality than a laptop or offer additional mobility a tablet is expected to provide. Lol.

Last edited:

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Another Twin Cities, MN resident who snagged an iPad. Unfortunately had to go to dumpy uptown to get it due to Ridgedale and Southdale being sold out. But I got it!:cool:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

I built my resume with pages and did my finances with numbers and made a presentation with keynote all on my ipad. So it hasnt been useless for me. Sorry but office software is no longer the only consideration and saving for some edge cases the ipad works just fine as a productivity device and in many instances it functions better as a productivity device in particular because you can be productive in more places and in more cases.

Last edited:

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
The iPad is a great consumption device consumption device but the surface is terrible at consumption and terrible doing "real work". I've tried repeatedly to use a Surface for work.

----------

No its not. Its not better than a laptop and its not better than a tablet. Its a typical jack of all master of none type scenario. Its not anything you'd want to use past the initial hype of being suckered into buying one. You end up going back to your laptop and tablet as separate devices any way. Its as expensive as a laptop yet doesnt offer as much or more functionality than a laptop. Lol.

And....you have personal experience with the Surface? Or are you basing your comments on how YOU would use it?

I've played with the Surface extensively and it certainly has its place. If I hadn't gotten an 2013 MBA and wasn't so put off by Windows 8, it would certainly be a contender.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.