My iPhone 3g water damage replacement story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boner4iphoner, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boner4iphoner macrumors newbie

I just wanted to share my iPhone 3g water damage experience. I woke up the other morning to find the glass of water I 'foolishly' left next to my iPhone/alarm clock had been knocked over. I have a case on my iPhone and it was working fine so I assumed the extent of the water was superficial. Hours later I got a few iPhone accessory messages but thought little of it. Everything seemed a little slower too. But later that day I discovered my camera not working.*
    I looked up the info on water damage and my dock indicator was red but my headphone Jack indiciator was white. I carefully pried my phone open and the inside indicators were white. Other than the mornings accident my phone has been nowhere near water so I really didn't think I should be excluded. Besides my phone is my lifeline and I could not afford a replacement. So I did what many will call "wrong" and cut a very small piece of paper to cover the bottom sensor just by kinda placing it in there with no adhesive.
    So I got to the apple store right before close and explained that my camera had stopped working but everything else was fine (mostly true). First thing he did was inspect my water sensors. he even took a can of air to the docking connector, but then told me everything was ok and I could exchange it. But the second genius I talked to at the bar looked and apparently saw red. He explained how the warranty was void and figuring I was at a loss wanted to look into a refund of my AppleCare, which had not kicked in.*
    After a little respectful protest to the situation, he explained to me that the indicators were not actually the determining factors as to replace it or not, but the actual sensors on the inside of the case, which he was confident would be triggered if the indicators were tripped. Knowing my internal sensors were spotless, I asked if they could check them. He took it in the back and several minutes later he walked out slightly confused but with good news: I still qualified for an exchange. he mentioned he had never seen this before, and promptly exchanged my iPhone.
    I suppose my message is, in case of red sensor syndrome, you might as well carefully open your iPhone to see the internal sensors. If they are white, carefully reassemble, sync your iPhone ( just a hindsight observation from an anxious iphoner) and take it in. Ask for an explanation (nicely) and ask if they can open it up to see if the insides are ok.*
    The 2 visible indicators are not the end of the line!!!
    I wish this article was around before my trip so I wouldn't be so nervous feeling like i was trying to scam when In reality I was still waranteed.
    Thanks to the apple store geniuses for giving me the oppertunity to prove myself correct.*
    Hope this helps!

2. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

First, you need proper formatting if you want anyone to fully read what you wrote. Second, you tried to fool Apple by covering the tripped sensor and they discovered your attempt and yet they still replaced your phone.

If I was the Genius I would have sent you on your way with a void warranty for trying to scam the system ;)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is bad advice, IMO. What you do by doing this is possibly make the situation worse if you break something taking it apart.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

So you're encouraging people with water damage to scam by covering up their sensors AND by opening the case - both of which void the warranty.

Good plan Genius.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with the above posters. I dislike everything about the attempt to defraud anyone or any corporation.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

also

if apple see you opened it good bye to the warrenty, also If you had just taking it in without fooling with it you might have had the same results.

7. lavinci macrumors 6502

I think what he was trying to say is ask the Genius to open the phone for you to see if the internal indicators were also tripped.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

That would have been a much shorter post with useful and LEGAL advice

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, a bit scary when it comes to taking my iPhone apart to check water damage indicators. This is exactly the reason that I have the X-Stand for my 3GS iPhone and it sits on its very own table, away from water, drinks and anything else that can cause damage.....:eek::eek::eek:

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope, he definitely said to open it yourself.

11. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea i dont get it, couldnt you just ask them to open it to see if the insides were fine without having to open it yourself?

What would be the difference of you knowing if the insides were fine and asking them to check it, or not knowing and still asking them to check it....either way you would get "it fine" or "nope, sorry":confused::rolleyes:

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

too op

I think I send a thank you card to both of the Genus's for taking good care of you. I think you oh them both that! Just a nice thing to do and you just might need them again! a little kindness goes along way! ;)

13. Boner4iphoner thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this is why I generally avoid forums. You people have too much opinion for your own good. First of all nobody should be consulting a forum for legal advice. Secondly the formatting for my post is die to the fact that I typed it on my iPhone so complain on a different thread about iPhones compatibility with this forum. Thirdly, I was NOT directing anyone to attempt to cover up the sensors, rather trying to prevent such futile attempts and favoring a more honest approach. Many of you have a lot of faith in apple which I find strange considering the amount of stories about innocent people getting screwed over.

The only reason I would recommend opening up to inspect the inside is to protect yourself. Who knows what they will find when they take it in the back and open it up but as a consumer I would prefer to be armed with all the knowledge I can get. Yes it technically voids your warranty but if I had not asked then to check the internal sensors ( which many would not even think to do) I couldve dropped $199 bucks to repair it or I wouldve unnecessarily replaced it.
    I'm just trying to help people out here, not screw over apple. I wouldn't recommend this in a case of gross negligance or abuse. And I suppose you don't have to open it up yourself but I did and that's my story.

14. Boner4iphoner thread starter macrumors newbie

I would, cards aren't exactly my style but I certainly thanked my geniuses for their help and unserstanding. Maybe a tray of chocolate chip cookies?

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

Hmm

Genus: sir I'll be back in a second I have to check your sensors.
    You: OK
    Genus: sorry sir the sensors inside the phone are red warrenty is Void!
    You: No there not I opened it and looked myself your wrong!

sorry not sure how this will help. this is the part of your thread that is useful

After a little respectful protest to the situation, he explained to me that the indicators were not actually the determining factors as to replace it or not, but the actual sensors on the inside of the case, which he was confident would be triggered if the indicators were tripped. Knowing my internal sensors were spotless, I asked if they could check them. He took it in the back and several minutes later he walked out slightly confused but with good news: I still qualified for an exchange. he mentioned he had never seen this before, and promptly exchanged my iPhone.
    I suppose my message is, in case of red sensor syndrome, you might as well

oh also the part that should say don't put a glass of water next to your Iphone!

also cards take more effort and are useful at promotion time! but what ever works

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ok, so say i was in the same situation as you but i never opened my phone up. I go to the genius and ask him to check the insides also. Would i get the same result?

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Raise your hand if you think the OP wanted a pat on the back and thanks for such useful information...

18. camarobh macrumors 6502

My favorite part

"Other than the mornings accident my phone has been nowhere near water so I really didn't think I should be excluded."

Love that logic. "Other than the time I dropped my phone and it was run over by a car it has been nowhere near being run over so I really didn't think I should be excluded."

Priceless.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Haha lol:p

Wait, why am i quoted agin?:confused:

20. Boner4iphoner thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I wrote a repsonse but got timed out since like I said I'm on my iPhone. The long and short of it is, 80% of our bodies and the world is water. Are we supposed to not use our iPhones near bodies of water, bathrooms, kitchens, rain, sweat and saliva, wet dogs, restiraunts and bars, humid places etc? I think apple should be more upfront about what voids the warranty so we can all treat our iPhones like the Mona Lisa and not like a useful everyday device.

And if you knew your inside dots were white and for some reason they came out and told you they were red you could 1) ask to see it open 2) open it right there and call them on it 3) let everyone know about their practices. In this hypothetical situation. It's not the human component I'm worried about but the corporate element that might compel people to be dishonest about something.

And no, I wasn't looking for a pat on the back just wanted to share my story so if someone was in my situation they can make an informed decision as to which course of action they should take. Sorry I don't get my kicks from attempting to garner praise on a forum.

Maybe we need accidental water damage insurance?

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I actually do thank you for your post. I dont think i would have thought to tell them to check the insides.;)

22. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The dock and jack are electrical connections. They can be damaged by water themselves. That's why the trip sensors are there to begin with. If I drive a car into a house and only damage one wall, doesn't mean that I didn't damage the house because the rest of it is all right.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Priceless! I love how they take him seriously in that video.

24. Boner4iphoner thread starter macrumors newbie

The point is I don't believe that the accident caused the sensor change, I have never checked it before but due to the small volume of water being released onto a flat surface with nothing restricting the flow off the sides of the nightstand I figured it was NOT the cause of my sensor change. So more like " other than the time I bumped into a car I have never been hit by a car so the bruise on my leg should not mean I have a broken leg"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.