My iPhone 5 iOS 7 was replaced with iOS 6...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Dec 10, 2013.

1. thedeejay, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014

thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

A few days ago I dropped my iPhone 5 and screen cracked. Went in and used my first replacement for APP+ and got it replaced. I got it with iOS 6.1.4 surprisingly. So now my iPad 2 has iOS 7 and iPhone 5 has 6.1.4, while previously both devices had iOS 7. But damn. iOS 6 is pretty darn fast.

Not here to knock iOS 7, I do miss certain things. I instantly tried to use control centre and realized I couldn't. But I mean I don't really "miss" much from iOS 7. I'm going to hold onto this just for fun until I cave in. I currently feel like I have a vintage device haha.

I love that iOS 6 has the old calendar. Love it. And it's super quick. I'm still surprised it was that quick (because I'm used to a few months use of iOS 7). Kinda weird how I felt that iOS 7 was a huge leap forward but after this incidence I think iOS 7 is pretty much a revamp. It does have some key features but nothing really substantial, nawmeen?

2. Skika macrumors 68030

Yeah i had an similiar experience with a friend's phone who ran iOS6 and the "wow its fast" thought came imidiatelly.

But overall i still much prefer iOS7, just wish it was a bit faster.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I'm willing to bet you can find someone who will buy that phone from you. Maybe even enough to trade up to a 5S.

4. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Pretty funny and sad at the same time. Thanks to the animations everywhere and to the general lack of optimization, I'm pretty sure an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 is faster than an iPhone 5S on iOS 7. Probably better or similar battery life too.

5. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

my iPod touch replacement had iOS 6. I didn't even set it up so I would never know how slow iOS 7 really is :D

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I love how everyone compares iOS 7.0.4 (not even close to being polished yet) to iOS 6.1.4 (which was the final build of 6).

7. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

iOS 6.0 was still faster by lightyears.

8. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

The first public build of iOS 6 was still much faster than iOS 7.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's kind of along the lines of the type of thing people were saying during the iOS 7 beta process, that it will be all good by the time it's final, then when the final came out various people started saying that they'll make it better within a few minor updates, now that 4 minor updates are out, we are on to something else. It's an endless game of nothing really actually happening. ;)

10. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

The OP happened to get a replacement with iOS 6.1.4. If he gets one in the future with iOS 6.0 I'm sure he will keep us posted.

(your post was silly)

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Why on earth do you accept mediocrity? Why is it ok to release a new and supposedly improved operating system which is slower, has more bugs and drains the battery faster?

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Who says I'm ok with mediocrity? How is it fair to compare a newly released OS with a polished final version of the previous OS? if I recall iOS 6.0.x wasn't exactly top notch.

13. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

My intention wasn't to compare 6.1.4 but it came with that so I did. Anyways, even if we compare 6.0, in terms of speed and functionality it is a bit faster. When we had 6.0 we didn't notice but now that we're on 7, it's definitely noticeable. Not do or die, but when you see someone with 6 it's like "Oh man, that's so quick".

That being said I thought I would "miss" iOS 7 but so far nothing yet. Except for the few times I've tried to use control centre.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can't say I recall any real noticeable issues with iOS 6.0, at least nothing on the level that is being seen with iOS 7.0 (or even 7.1 so far).

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Because iOS 6 was like 5 which was like 4, etc.

16. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

same! my iPhone 5 was replaced with iOS6 .... but I hated it and updated it asap

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

So Apple took what it learned in making iOS better over versions 4, 5, and 6 and put that aside when making iOS 7? Shouldn't all that have been put to use and made even better in iOS 7 rather than worse, even with a (largely visual) redesign?

18. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I think ios 6 isn't really faster, it's just user perception because of the animations in ios 7. Disable them and you have the same experience as in ios 6.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Except they can't be disabled, just reduced (mainly by being changed to fading rather than zooming), which is still not the same.

20. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Fading is really fast. I like it and it is fast enough for me. I don't see the difference to ios 6.

21. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

iOS 6 is definitely faster

22. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

The truth is also the 3GS was BLAZINGLY fast with iOS 3 and not so much with iOS5 or 6. iOS doesn't follow the OS X pattern where Mavericks or ML both have been WAY faster than Lion in performance.

The price of upgrading your phone to the newest system may be free, but has definitely some caveats attached.

23. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Your opinion really. I personally love it and have no complaints about its functionality. Seems a lot of is rewritten so it may be less stable than previous OS's

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Stability is a big issue currently. I have at least one crash a day and it is unacceptable. Apple should fix it..

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

It might be faster, but it's not as fast or fluid as it is in iOS 6. Perhaps different people notice different things or to different degrees, but using an iOS 7 device (with reduce motion enabled) and an (actually older) iOS 6 device on a daily basis I see the difference all the time. It's not a huge difference, but there is a difference nonetheless.

----------

Well, certainly much more than just my opinion and experience. That's not to say that there aren't people with no issues, but, at the same time, there seem to be more people with more noticeable/frequent issues than before.