My iPhone 5 iOS 7 was replaced with iOS 6...

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
A few days ago I dropped my iPhone 5 and screen cracked. Went in and used my first replacement for APP+ and got it replaced. I got it with iOS 6.1.4 surprisingly. So now my iPad 2 has iOS 7 and iPhone 5 has 6.1.4, while previously both devices had iOS 7. But damn. iOS 6 is pretty darn fast.

Not here to knock iOS 7, I do miss certain things. I instantly tried to use control centre and realized I couldn't. But I mean I don't really "miss" much from iOS 7. I'm going to hold onto this just for fun until I cave in. I currently feel like I have a vintage device haha.

I love that iOS 6 has the old calendar. Love it. And it's super quick. I'm still surprised it was that quick (because I'm used to a few months use of iOS 7). Kinda weird how I felt that iOS 7 was a huge leap forward but after this incidence I think iOS 7 is pretty much a revamp. It does have some key features but nothing really substantial, nawmeen?

Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah i had an similiar experience with a friend's phone who ran iOS6 and the "wow its fast" thought came imidiatelly.

But overall i still much prefer iOS7, just wish it was a bit faster.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
A few days ago I dropped my iPhone 5 and screen cracked. Went in and used my first replacement for APP+ and got it replaced. I got it with iOS 6.1.4 surprisingly. So now my iPad Air has iOS 7 and iPhone 5 has 6.1.4, while previously both devices had iOS 7. But damn. iOS 6 is pretty darn fast.

Not here to knock iOS 7, I do miss certain things. I instantly tried to use control centre and realized I couldn't. But I mean I don't really "miss" much from iOS 7. I'm going to hold onto this just for fun until I cave in. I currently feel like I have a vintage device haha.

I love that iOS 6 has the old calendar. Love it. And it's super quick. I'm still surprised it was that quick (because I'm used to a few months use of iOS 7). Kinda weird how I felt that iOS 7 was a huge leap forward but after this incidence I think iOS 7 is pretty much a revamp. It does have some key features but nothing really substantial, nawmeen?
I'm willing to bet you can find someone who will buy that phone from you. Maybe even enough to trade up to a 5S.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Pretty funny and sad at the same time. Thanks to the animations everywhere and to the general lack of optimization, I'm pretty sure an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 is faster than an iPhone 5S on iOS 7. Probably better or similar battery life too.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I love how everyone compares iOS 7.0.4 (not even close to being polished yet) to iOS 6.1.4 (which was the final build of 6).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I love how everyone compares iOS 7.0.4 (not even close to being polished yet) to iOS 6.1.4 (which was the final build of 6).
That's kind of along the lines of the type of thing people were saying during the iOS 7 beta process, that it will be all good by the time it's final, then when the final came out various people started saying that they'll make it better within a few minor updates, now that 4 minor updates are out, we are on to something else. It's an endless game of nothing really actually happening. ;)

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
The OP happened to get a replacement with iOS 6.1.4. If he gets one in the future with iOS 6.0 I'm sure he will keep us posted.

(your post was silly)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Why on earth do you accept mediocrity? Why is it ok to release a new and supposedly improved operating system which is slower, has more bugs and drains the battery faster?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Why on earth do you accept mediocrity? Why is it ok to release a new and supposedly improved operating system which is slower, has more bugs and drains the battery faster?
Who says I'm ok with mediocrity? How is it fair to compare a newly released OS with a polished final version of the previous OS? if I recall iOS 6.0.x wasn't exactly top notch.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Who says I'm ok with mediocrity? How is it fair to compare a newly released OS with a polished final version of the previous OS? if I recall iOS 6.0.x wasn't exactly top notch.
My intention wasn't to compare 6.1.4 but it came with that so I did. Anyways, even if we compare 6.0, in terms of speed and functionality it is a bit faster. When we had 6.0 we didn't notice but now that we're on 7, it's definitely noticeable. Not do or die, but when you see someone with 6 it's like "Oh man, that's so quick".

That being said I thought I would "miss" iOS 7 but so far nothing yet. Except for the few times I've tried to use control centre.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can't say I recall any real noticeable issues with iOS 6.0, at least nothing on the level that is being seen with iOS 7.0 (or even 7.1 so far).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because iOS 6 was like 5 which was like 4, etc.
So Apple took what it learned in making iOS better over versions 4, 5, and 6 and put that aside when making iOS 7? Shouldn't all that have been put to use and made even better in iOS 7 rather than worse, even with a (largely visual) redesign?

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
I think ios 6 isn't really faster, it's just user perception because of the animations in ios 7. Disable them and you have the same experience as in ios 6.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think ios 6 isn't really faster, it's just user perception because of the animations in ios 7. Disable them and you have the same experience as in ios 6.
Except they can't be disabled, just reduced (mainly by being changed to fading rather than zooming), which is still not the same.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
The truth is also the 3GS was BLAZINGLY fast with iOS 3 and not so much with iOS5 or 6. iOS doesn't follow the OS X pattern where Mavericks or ML both have been WAY faster than Lion in performance.

The price of upgrading your phone to the newest system may be free, but has definitely some caveats attached.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
So Apple took what it learned in making iOS better over versions 4, 5, and 6 and put that aside when making iOS 7? Shouldn't all that have been put to use and made even better in iOS 7 rather than worse, even with a (largely visual) redesign?
Your opinion really. I personally love it and have no complaints about its functionality. Seems a lot of is rewritten so it may be less stable than previous OS's

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Your opinion really. I personally love it and have no complaints about its functionality. Seems a lot of is rewritten so it may be less stable than previous OS's
Stability is a big issue currently. I have at least one crash a day and it is unacceptable. Apple should fix it..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fading is really fast. I like it and it is fast enough for me. I don't see the difference to ios 6.
It might be faster, but it's not as fast or fluid as it is in iOS 6. Perhaps different people notice different things or to different degrees, but using an iOS 7 device (with reduce motion enabled) and an (actually older) iOS 6 device on a daily basis I see the difference all the time. It's not a huge difference, but there is a difference nonetheless.

----------

Well, certainly much more than just my opinion and experience. That's not to say that there aren't people with no issues, but, at the same time, there seem to be more people with more noticeable/frequent issues than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.