Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinhpham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
When I leave my MacBook Pro 13" with Touch Bar sleep when the lid is still opened, this weird thing happens: when I click the power button (also Touch ID sensor), sometimes it unlocks the computer and gets right to the desktop, sometimes it doesn't work, gives me the lock screen with my account picture, and if I click on the picture, password prompt doesn't show up, and if I click the Cancel button at the bottom of the screen, everything goes black, only the mouse cursor on the screen, giving me no other options except restarting the computer.

Has anyone experienced that? Is that a OS bug? And is there any way to fix?

Thanks

C.clavin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
Same. Very frustrating. I've had to restart a few times for this reason as there was nothing else I could do.

doanchu

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I second that. I need to disable Touch ID for logging in. For anything else Touch ID works just fine.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
The touchbar is essentially a version of the watch running a version of watch OS and handshaking with the mac to log you in. Sounds like they still need to work on getting this coordination worked out better in some cases. I suspect a update will soon fix this issue.

dietzpa

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
yes, similar issues. resulted in a genius bar visit where they suggested sending it back to apple to resolve - I just returned it instead.

Tb87Bln

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2016
I was just about to ask if this is a known issue.
For me it started when I updated to 10.12.2
It gets really annoying...hopefully the next update will fix that...

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
I was just about to ask if this is a known issue.
For me it started when I updated to 10.12.2
It gets really annoying...hopefully the next update will fix that...

Anyone have any updates on this issue?
I was hoping this weeks mac update would fix it but seems the same.
thanks

Jakkall

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Mine does the same. 15'' Started a week or so after unboxing. Works just fine in os itself for 1password for example but not to login after sleep....disappointing
Definitely a sw issue.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I hate to tell you this but the only way to truly test this is to back it up and do a fresh install. Before restoring the backup see if it still does it. If yes, it's the laptop, return it. If not, restore the backup and then see if it does it. It's pretty annoying how often the Apple OS seems to hold on to corruption type issues even after OS updates. Fresh installs are really the only way to truly test it seems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.