My MP 8800 is here!! Pics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rontheancient, Feb 9, 2008.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

The FedEx guy showed up yesterday with a pretty big package to join the other boxes of goodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have run into one problem, not with the Mac, but with one of the new hard drive I bought from NewEgg. Disk Utility wont format the drive, basically freezing up or giving a "Input/Output Error". I tried both formatting, and installing Windows XP on it from PC with no success. I was able to run SeaTools on the drive and it failed the test. What is your take on it? BTW, a second identical drive that was ordered at the same time worked fine.

HDD Info:
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.11, 32MB Cache

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

sounds like a bad drive to me. shouldn't have any problems w/ returning to newegg....

the card looks pretty slick. was it worth the wait?;)

3. Rowlander macrumors member

You lucky, lucky, lucky man! :)

Apart from all this gadget-goodness, I also like the Enterprise-model! ;)

Sounds like that hard drive is defective. I´m not an expert but if it doesn´t work, and the other one of the some model does, it must be broken. That sucks but maybe it helps you to know that you are still one of the first people on the planet to own a 8800-Mac Pro!

4. gdieter macrumors member

very cool. getting me closer to ordering mine (waiting for 1.5.2 release). about the HD, did both drives have the same firmware? search the forums for topic of "Seagate" + "firmware".

Thanks for the pics!

5. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I have a model of the Enterprise-E at home, pics if you want.

Im not too sure what the firmware was on the drive, and I cant check at the moment because the computer, along with all the other stuff is at my office.

EDIT:
    If any of you have questions about the MP 8800 or want pics of a specific part of the machine, just let me know, and I get back to you ASAP.

I also noticed some other things:
    The SuperDrive looked like it was a Pioneer, not a Sony, it had a model number of DVR-112BK.
    The fans are quiet, but at full blast they can blow a piece of paper clear across a desk. They also sound like a Rolls-Royce jet engine.
    Apple ships two video adapters, a DVI-I to VGA, and a DVI-I to DVI-D

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Wow, I am very jealous. This makes me want to order one! I've been on the fence. Great pics too btw. Very sexy, lol. As others have said, sounds like one of the hard drives was defective.

7. Mark Fletcher macrumors newbie

Nice one Ron,

Say, you wouldnt have a 2006/2007 Mac Pro lying around that you could put that 8800GT into, see if it boots?

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

There are firmware issues with this hard drive. Read the reviews on newegg and there is plenty of information if you need it.

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

So the BIG question. How loud is the fan on the 8800GT???? Can you hear it at all? Do the stop test with your finger, hold the fan on the card still and see if you can hear a difference. When done on the 2600 I hear no difference at all in a quiet room.

10. aibo macrumors 6502

Great pictures it looks just like the one I received yesterday... :)
    One question though -- the Mac Pro came with 2 adapters. One is DVI to VGA, but what is the other one? It looks like DVI to DVI but what's the point?

11. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I ordered the same two drives from Newegg. I plan on running the firmware upgrades on them both with a PC if I run into any trouble, otherwise I'll be sending them back to Newegg.

I plan to put a video online as soon as I can with the fan sounds during bootup (i'll do a split screen with the 8800 and the bootup process).

12. Rychy macrumors 6502

Nice! I'm going to be ordering one with 8800GT soon, just got to decide on a couple things and get my tax return. Thanks for posting the pictures.

13. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Lets see if I can answer everyones questions:

Mark Fletcher: I do have a Rev A Mac Pro handy, but none of them have the X1900, so I dont think they come wired with the extra power cable.

macenforcer: The 8800 fans are really quite, the only time you can hear them is the 4-5 second gap between pushing the power button, and the Mac chime, when the fans spool up to full throttle. That, and when doing some hardcore graphics stuff I guess.

aibo: You are right, one of the adapters is a DVI to DVI, but its a adapter for two different flavors of DVI, just look at the pins/holes on either side. Its one of the things I dont like about DVI personally.

As for the bad hard drive, I jumped the gun and requested a RMA to Newegg. I still have 450GB of external storage to use as a temp in the mean time. I will scan the other drive for firmware updates tonight.

14. gdieter macrumors member

Could you put it in sleep mode overnight and see if wakes properly in the morning (vice reboot)? There was one report of this happening to units with the 8800GT, but no followup report. Apparently this was/is an issue with some boxes with the ATI 2600. If the 8800's aren't afflicted with the same symptoms, that would be another checkbox marked off for me on the way to ordering.

15. totally_fly macrumors member

Have you run any games yet on your Mac Pro? If so, could you report on performance?

16. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

No problem, I will do that tonight.

As for games, I already put XP SP2 on it, and will run FS2004, along with some addons later in the week. Will report back.

17. GregPacker macrumors member

GregPacker

I think the DVI to DVI is not really an adapter, its more of an extender. Some monitor cables have plug mouldings that are wider than others. If you try and plug two wide ones into the ports in the graphics card then they may not physically fit alongside each other because the ports are located too close together. The solution is to plug in one monitor directly and use the DVI to DVI cable to effectively move the other socket a few inches away so that the monitor cable can easily be plugged into it. The reason the pins/holes look different on either end of the DVI to DVI cable is that one end is male and the other is female.

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Could you post the Geforce 8800GT EFI ROM please? ;)

19. MikeL macrumors 6502

Yup. Specifically needed by those of us with older Apple ADC displays.

20. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Seeing that I only waited one week, and Apple scheduled a delivery sometime at the end of the month. I would say that it was worth the short wait.

EFI ROM? Not sure about that one.

21. Reach macrumors 6502a

I found that funny! :D

22. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

You said you will be playing FS2004! Please tell me about the performance or Better yet post a video or pictures by using FRAPS! I also play FS2004 all the time! I really want to see how it works on the new Mac Pro!:):apple::)

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They still ship with DVI-ADC adaptors?! I didn't think so!

In the box

Mac Pro
    Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
    DVI to VGA adapter
    USB keyboard extension cable
    Install/restore DVDs
    Printed and electronic documentation

Straight from the specs page... Did you get lucky?!

24. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Questions on the 8800 GT

Does the 8800 GT use one or two power cables?

If you have the full version of Prey or Quake 4, I can send you demo files to use for benchmarking.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No. If you have two DVI cables and they're too wide to plug both next to each other, you can extend one a few inches with the narrow connector Apple provides. Not needed at all on the ATI cards as their connectors are pretty far away from each other, but handy for the nVidia cards who's connectors are closer together.

Nothing to do with the old ADC connectors.