My TenFourFox About:Config tweaks - and my addons

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Thank you both. I was not worried about the fact this is a Mac or PowerPC version of Mozilla Firefox. I was worried because on my windows laptop it's version 52 while most part of these options is from old versions of Firefox/TenFourFox, so some of them could have been removed from the newer version

2. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

The browser will simply disregard a setting if it is no longer valid. If a newer version has settings that the prefs file does not contain it will add them when you boot it up.

If you move it to a lower version with those settings then the lower version will ignore those settings if they don't exist in that lower version.

In short, deprecated settings are harmless because they are simply ignored.

3. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

I'll go for the Intel e PC prefs file. Tried to download it from the first post but I got a 404 error from DropBox. Could you please give me another link, @eyoungren ?

4. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Fixed the link on page one. Sorry. I have a lot of Dropbox Public folder links in a lot of threads here. I'm reposting them as people request since Dropbox removed the particular sharing of that folder.

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

New extension to try if anyone wants.

Force Images into Cache.

In the settings you get your option of 1 month, 6 months or 1 year.

6. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

If you don't want the file with all of @eyoungren's preferences, the Altemose file should work as well.

7. cdoublejj macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

Where is this file linked or hosted?

8. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's on page one in the first post. It has been struck through, but the link remains. Hack was focusing on user.js instead of his prefs file.

To make it easy for you though here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vvcec0gqj2sicq/TFF-prefs.js.zip?dl=0

I cannot say if Hack has left the file there or not. If he hasn't you may want to tag him and ask him to put it back.

9. cdoublejj macrumors newbie

cdoublejj

Ah! I was wondering why it was struck, i had assumed that version was not being maintained. Thanks for the info.

10. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

No problem!

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If needed, I would be able to host the file for the tweak files. Currently, my files (Apple Cider Minecraft Patch and the Tweak Easy Installer) are being hosted off of my Google Drive.

12. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks for that. Czo is keeping us going with Dropbox but if we should need it I will ask.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sounds good! Just keep me posted!

14. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

A minor adjustment…

content.interrupt.parsing: true

For whatever reason this setting had been made false in my setup at some point. It must be on in order for a couple of other tweaks involved with loading a page are activated.

I have updated the prefs file in Post #1.

This is an easy change though so if you already have my file, just open about:config and change false to true in this setting (assuming it's already false on your setup).

15. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

@eyoungren I'd like to install these tweaks on Waterfox on ML. So, I saw that your personal PPC prefs file causes some graphics problem with Intels... does that problem exist with the tweak files by Altemose and Hack as well? Or is it only yours?

Thanks.

16. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not sure. Try my Intel prefs. It's been cleaned up and was based on Hack's prefs file. Just be sure to add the last tweak I mention above as I have not added it to the Intel pref file yet.

17. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

@eyoungren This question doesn't really belong here, but you do seem to be the Firefox/TenFourFox expert. ;)

Is AdBlock OK to use on Intel? If not, what's that best Intel ad-blocker? Same as PPC? Thanks.

18. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Same as PowerPC. Use BluHell Firewall.

Memory leaks on Intel are less noticeable because most Intel Macs have more ram/processing power. But the leaks still haven't been fixed.

Except for addons that specifically state Windows most Firefox addons are platform agnostic. So, whatever you can use on one applies to all.

PS. It's relevant. The title of my thread covers addons. ;)

19. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

When I started this thread my focus was entirely on making things faster for a PowerBook G4 with a failed cache. For the most part I think that's worked out.

My premise was that with the trend towards broadband becoming more prevalent and speeds ever increasing that focusing everything to download on a fast network connection was faster than utilitizing disk cache, particularly when it came to the failed cache on my PB.

Since then I have become the proud owner of three PowerMac G5s and have lots of ram and lots of disk cache. I've mentioned here and in other threads creating a RAM disk and I have done this with all of my Macs. Some have less RAM disk space allocated than others, some the maximum I can use.

The current PowerBook I own does not have a failed cache (and in fact is in about as damn good a condition as I could ask for) and so I do have a 16MB ram disk allocated for T4Fx.

You can find how to to that in previous posts.

Lately, because of this I've been trying something else and I will share it here.

Since ram is faster than downloading and disk access and I have a RAM disk, it means anything I cache for T4Fx is in ram and instantly available.

So, I have been trying these settings for the last two weeks:

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency: 3

This is is the setting that tells T4Fx when to check cache for web pages. It's the default setting, which is to check when pages expire (change). Previously I had it set to 1 (never check) because I was wanting everything to download.

But to make this work, this setting has to be enabled…

browser.cache.memory.enable: true

Now, if you have set a separate disk cache and it's a ram disk as I have done your webpages will load directly from ram. You'll only reload elements of a page when the page changes.

So far the results have been pretty good.

As always, your mileage may vary but if you want to try this out I would suggest setting up a ram disk and moving your cache to the ram disk.

Note that this will regress some of my settings if you are not using a ram disk as a cache disk. Loading cache from disk will most times be slower than broadband.