My TenFourFox About:Config tweaks - and my addons

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

DNS resolving is usually done at the system level and not at the application level. So unless your setting TenFourFox to retain DNS longer than the system, there may not be any benefit.

2. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks! Probably why I haven't seen any real impact.

3. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Got my 12" PB running good. Your tweaks rock.

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Out of curiosity, what tweaks did you use? @Altemose's version, or @eyoungren's personal pref file? I usually use the Altemose one, and I'm curious if eyoungren's would work better.

5. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

The difference between the two is that @Altemose only implemented the major tweaks as well as a handful of other ones he thought would be more universal.

At some point he stopped maintaining it so beyond that point there is no further advantage because anything else I tweaked is not reflected in it.

6. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I used Altemose's from his thread. It has some of eyoungren's stuff as well.

7. Gamer9430, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Personally, I use Hack's file, which is actively maintained. I deploy that file into every install of Firefox I setup.

8. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Have to admit that the change in post #149 was missing (from user.js). That has been corrected, download link for the updated file remains the same.

9. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Actively maintained? That means that besides @eyoungren's personal prefs file this is the only actively maintained one. Thanks, I'll start using user.js from now on, if I ever need TFF again (as I'm sure you know my preference is WebKit).

10. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I believe I recall that you performed a clean prefs install on a MBPro under Yosemite a short while back.
    I've just attempted something similar on a 17" MBPro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Firefox 37.0.2, and everything runs just fine.
    uMatrix was added without problem, but not so with Bluhell. I get a prompt saying it's not compatible with FF 37.0.2.
    Is there a way around this, or a preferred alternative lightweight firewall/ad-blocker? Having become so used to having it on earlier PowerBooks, I feel rather exposed without it.

11. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility2/ ---> Firefox 40+

extensions.checkCompatibility.XX.X : false ---> Where XX.X is your browser's exact version number.

12. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Is there any way to apply at least part of these tweaks to Camino? It's Mozilla-based. I know it's fast as is, but there's always more speed to be gained on PowerPC Macs. ;)

13. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

In the past, I simply moved the prefs file into the correct folder and then let the app sort things out. Whatever would apply, would apply.

For Camino that would be: Macintosh HD>Users~username>Library>Application Support>Camino

Good luck!

14. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Cool, thanks! Once I try it I'll post whether there was a speed difference.

15. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@eyoungren's is going to include all of his tweaks and options. The one that I created merely has the major tweaks.

I might update it if there is request for it, but since yours includes it all I kind of figured the need was superseded. :D

17. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, but your file did not contain the portions of my prefs that were inapplicable to others.

Essentially, it was a clean prefs file. With mine you get all my baggage in the deal.

18. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Light edit in Post #1 to show that I am using disk caching to a ram disk.

If you download my PowerPC prefs file, be sure to either edit the disk cache file path (if you are using disk caching to anywhere other than the default) or delete this preference in about:config: browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

19. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Requested. :D

Your file is great, works really nice, and it's what I'm using on every TFF.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Once I get through this week since it is finals I will be working on quite a few projects, and hopefully going to be on MacRumors a lot more often.

21. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Guys can I install the Altemose preferences file on Firefox 52 on Windows XP? If so, how?

22. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

The same way you'd install it on a PPC, I'm pretty sure. Find your profile folder, and drag in prefs.js.

23. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

The fact that I have Firefox 52 is not a problem?

24. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

No. The app will sort out any incompatibilities in the file. :) Will work fine.

25. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

TenFourFox is based on Mozilla. As such, there's no such thing as 'Mac' preferences, or 'PowerPC only' preferences.

The same file (prefs.js) will work on any version of Firefox/Mozilla based browser on any platform.

However, if you've used MY personal prefs file then beware that on an Intel Mac or a PC platform there may be some graphical glitches. Which is why I provide the Intel version of my prefs file on Page 1.