Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
C'mon Schtumple! This thread has been going on for over 3 months, meanwhile fivepoint opened a thread a few days ago and is almost done with his made-from-scratch super cool desk!

How ya gonna get shown-up in the DIY sector :p

Because this isn't the only thing in my life?

Some people are able to focus on one thing and get it done within days, I've had to spend much of today recovering data off my dads computer, I asked to do a simple task for me as I was doing all this for him, he decided not too, so that's another day completely wasted, monday - saturday I have work and will be tired after to do anything afterwards, I have 2 days a week in which to do this project and I spent much of this thread waiting for my dad to get the front grill made...

I'm so sorry I haven't rushed off my ass to get this done within a week but it really isn't the sole thing I've got going right now.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
No worries, Schtumple. You're doing a fine job, and it's fun to watch your progress, regardless of how much time you can dedicate to working on it. I think UMHurricanes34 is just yanking your chain hehe. BTW, the front grill was worth the wait imo. Hopefully your dad will find time to do what you need soon enough. :)

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Because this isn't the only thing in my life?

Some people are able to focus on one thing and get it done within days, I've had to spend much of today recovering data off my dads computer, I asked to do a simple task for me as I was doing all this for him, he decided not too, so that's another day completely wasted, monday - saturday I have work and will be tired after to do anything afterwards, I have 2 days a week in which to do this project and I spent much of this thread waiting for my dad to get the front grill made...

I'm so sorry I haven't rushed off my ass to get this done within a week but it really isn't the sole thing I've got going right now.

Indeed, was just yanking your chain. You know Ive been following this and have been supportive. I was just jokin around with ya.

Schtump Schtumps a bit cranky, maybe he should have a cookie.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Indeed, was just yanking your chain. You know Ive been following this and have been supportive. I was just jokin around with ya.

Schtump Schtumps a bit cranky, maybe he should have a cookie.

:p ok

Sorry to rant off at you, really haven't had a good day today...

On a complete side note, anyone know how to change a BT home Hub so that it can work with other ISP's, I spent the best part of half hour going round in circles trying to get into "advanced" settings...

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
its really looking great!

sorry to hear no LED lighting :(

anyways, im extremely excited to see the final version! i love watching "projects" on the internet evolve. gives me something to look forward to

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I can' be bothered with cracking it, if I really need to have router with a usb port I'll buy a Airport Extreme... here's a quick pic of current progress, the CD Drive isn't fully mounted in yet, it's getting there, just needs some support underneath though, dips a little bit to the right :p

Attachments

• DSCF5707.JPG
    DSCF5707.JPG
    473.9 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCF5708.JPG
    DSCF5708.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 263

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
320mm (w) x 260mm (d) x 200mm (h)

Only 20mm off :p

It's actually quite big when you put it against a mac mini, made me kinda sad...

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
Now that I see it assembled, you really should've invested $10 in a secondhand slot-loading optical drive IMHO.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Now that I see it assembled, you really should've invested $10 in a secondhand slot-loading optical drive IMHO.

xMac 2.0 my friend :p Apple never makes a fully decent product on the 1st generation, so why should I :p

Found your board (or most likely it)

Goes up to only P4 or Pentium D sadly :(

But it does state that it supports dual core in Pentium D's

Been looking your status on the project as well. Hope you finish it soon!

That's some mean dedication you got there on finding the board... How did you manage to work out the brand :confused:

EDIT: IR sensor came yesterday, I've been upgraded to "Paid" for my "Airport Extreme" card order, I'll go make the new bezel for the CD tray now.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
That's awesome! I can't believe how good the front looks!

On a side note, you have my carpet and side molding. Please return it. :p

Zephgx

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
California
That's some mean dedication you got there on finding the board... How did you manage to work out the brand :confused:

Near the RAM it says ECS and just needed to find the board that matches the picture :) Took some time looking for it since i couldn't make out the numbers but it worked

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Just a quick note to say the airport PCI card has been changed to "shipped" hopefully that'll come tomorrow, I'm going to go work on spraying the acrylic, it's nice and warm atm.

EDIT: Zephgx that's proper deciphering that is :p

EDIT the 2nd: It's almost all ready :D So close to the end now, I'll post pictures tommorow :D

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok so, I've put the entire thing together, and I mean, completely, par the acrylic, gotta get some 2mm screws for the front plate, I think my dads going to have to drill them, very very fiddly stuff, but still, I doubt he'll ever get it done so in about a weeks time I'll probably do it...

Pictures showing tidbits that I've been doing to follow:
1: Overview of the top without CD tray
2: CD tray, I added some fans as the wireless card and the PSU
3: IR sensor connected to the USB hub
4: Bluetooth adapter
5: Wireless PCI card

Attachments

• DSCF5710.JPG
    DSCF5710.JPG
    634.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF5709.JPG
    DSCF5709.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF5713.JPG
    DSCF5713.JPG
    480.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF5716.JPG
    DSCF5716.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF5718.JPG
    DSCF5718.JPG
    499.9 KB · Views: 126

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
Very nice work! I've been following this thread, and the progress makes me want to go ahead and try my hand at xMac-ing. I was thinking of making a sort of PMG5/MP Minitower, with the little handle feet.

Who knows... But certainly, as you have shown us, "where there's a will there's a way!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.