"naked" iPad users chime in?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by onthecouchagain, Mar 25, 2012.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This initially started out as a response in the accessories forum but I wanted to start a thread to gather some opinions.

I'm liking more and more using my iPad naked. The cases no matter how thin they are are cumbersome to use. You're not holding the iPad anymore when using a case, even the smart covers. You're holding a case or cover that is holding the iPad. And this is infinitely more uncomfortable. Typing in the split screen where it requires you to hold the bottom side edges especially is difficult with a case and/or cover.

I'm considering using the iPad naked and carry a sleeve around for protection when in my bag or something. Anyone else do it this way and want to chime in on the results? pros and cons?

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Doesn't it get cold when you're outside with no clothes on?

3. JayStarr macrumors newbie

I have a carbon fiber skin on the back of my iPad 3. Awesome looking protection without the thickness of a case. I also have a screen protector, and I really hate it the only reason it's still on is because I don't wan't the screen scratched when I throw it in my bag. So basically, I am thinking about tossing my screen protector and getting a sleeve. Thoughts?

4. LanEvo macrumors 6502

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Smart Cover only. The functionality of the Smart Cover, I feel, is an essential part of iPad.

6. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

Never used a screen protector, I will put it in a case if know I'm going to be using it outside for long periods of time, but never a screen protector.

Screen on my iPad 1 & 2 look perfect like new after tons of use, it's not easy to scratch.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Me too. Makes it so much easier to type while on a desk or table without the bulk of a 'real' case.

8. ghett0tech macrumors member

love the functionality of the smart cover. usually leave it off when i'm using the iPad

9. glen e macrumors 68030

can't use a naked ipad in the business world as it's too hard to type, to present and it looks nerdy.....smartcover and back for me...

10. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I was very close to just using a zagg leather skin and smart cover but I order a bunch of cases. I like a case that I can remove the Ipad from the case easily.

11. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Fortunately the iPad 3 has figured out its own way to keep warm. :)

12. Bchagey macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Smart cover only is enough for me. Maybe more than enough.

13. nd3eb macrumors member

Smart cover only, and I take it off when using it (unless I need to use it as a stand).

Used to use a Maroo case on my iPad 2 and loved it, but naked is the way to go.

I do have a few different sleeves I use when putting it in my backpack traveling to and from places.

14. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Smart cover only. For use in a backpack it's in a Waterfield Ultimate Sleeve case.

15. abhibeckert macrumors regular

abhibeckert

I have a 1st gen iPad that I bought fairly early on (I had to wait three weeks for it to be in stock, and even then was lucky to get it).

It has never had a case, and has been abused the whole time.

The screen has a few very superficial scratches that are only visible with the screen off when you deliberately try to hold it at an angle to find them.

The back is covered in small scratches, mostly from sliding it around on a table or being in my backpack with keys, etc.

One corner is severely dinted from that time I was crossing the road and it fell off my motorbike onto the concrete (about 1.4m drop). I had to sand the gouge down a bit with sandpaper, because it was bad enough to scratch your hand just holding the thing. There are two or there other imperfections on the edge, though they're not very noticeable.

There is a bit of a dint on the back, not exactly sure how it happened, but a straight line about 1.5" long has been pushed in slightly. It's barely visible, but if you slide finger over the back it is immediately obvious.

It has been dropped 10 or 20 times, and only really damaged one of those times.

A bit of cosmetic damage doesn't bother me enough to justify *any* extra weight/thickness. I won't ever be buying any protective product for an iPad, though the smart cover's ability to act as a stand is very attractive.

By backpack does have a padded area for a notebook. I like having the iPad in there, since I can confidently throw the backpack around, and drop it on the ground without having to bend down (i have back issues).

16. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Those things are built like tanks.

17. tmoerel, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

tmoerel macrumors 6502

Naked when used....smart cover on it when in a bag and that is it.

Recently saw an iPad2 from a friend which has had a back cover on it since day one.

When he recently took the back off he discovered that some sand/dust between the case and the iPad had damaged the back quite extensively. This happened with the case on!!

18. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I use mine naked at home and put it into a leather folio case when I need to take it out of the house.

19. Jaab8279 macrumors newbie

Similar story to abhibeckert, my 1st gen casing shows some signs of wear having been dropped and knocked around in a backpack. Still works with no issue :apple:

Initially I did have a back cover on it, hated it :rolleyes:. The iPad didn't 'feel' right and grip was awful. All in all the case was a glorified dust and dirt trap.
    I did have a screen protector on it too, made it look filthy showed up every finger print. The revelation when I took the protector off and just had the feeling of the glass was :eek:. It's been naked for over a year and no screen scratches :D

I decided with 3rd gen to save myself the hassle (and money) and to leave it as is. I have conceded to buying myself a sleeve, new one just doesn't feel as rugged as the 1st, otherwise it's as is.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I'd suggest a wool sleeve from Etsy. Something like this one: Simple iPad Sleeve

21. Jaab8279 macrumors newbie

Thanks :) love etsy such a great marketplace, but the big kid in me just bought a neoprene case from the Disneystore :p

22. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Anyone that even thinks about going naked must not have the same usage patterns that I do. Mine goes everywhere with me. It gets tossed around all the time. Work, play, shopping....I actually consider it an extension of my own mind. I'm sick, I know. The STM Skinny served me very well with the deuce, although many would have thought that case was 3 years old. No screen protector, but I did end up with a 1/4" scratch on the 2. I might put one on the 3.

23. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Apart from a smart cover, mine will be going naked, although I may pick up a sleeve so I can feel safe taking it overseas in a few months, and to and from school.

24. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I like using the iPad without a case as well, but I keep mine in a case to keep it in pristine condition for when it comes time for resale.

25. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

you have to post a pic now, lol