Navigon 2.0 update released -

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by brvheart, Nov 17, 2011.

1. brvheart macrumors 6502

Hello all - I did not see this posted - the new Navigon 2.0 update has been released I am downloading all the maps I want now. I was wondering if the IQ will be better as I have stopped using this and went to Tom Tom because of better IQ. I had already bought traffic and everything for Navigon I hope that it carries over and does not have to purchased again.

2. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Now all the data maps/traffic and such is stored on the iPhone. It doesn't sync the data with itunes. Is there a way to get the data on your computer?

3. fishepa macrumors regular

Their process is so confusing. Awhile back I purchased the East region and Central region of the US. I have no idea if I'm able to upgrade. I ended up paying more for those than the cost of the software now. I don't want to have to spend $30 on the whole US since I already purchased the regions.

Not sure what to do.

4. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

You don't have to re-purchase. You just go to extras and tap to re-install.

5. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

So fresh maps - does this mean that there will be no map updates for free like they used too? I am a bit confused on their new direction - TomTom might just have me for simplicity sake.

6. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Haven't put the updated app to the test yet, but the new UI looks really nice!

7. CTYankee macrumors 6502

I did that and don't have my maps. I can't even see where to buy them. In extras I just see traffic, red light cameras, panoramic map, and update maps. No regional maps.

Bought Navigon US west and added central maps, traffic, panoramic, and red light camera. Anyone know if those in app purchases are for all versions of navigon or just the one you bought it in?

8. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

The UI is indeed nice! Just the entire rest is confusing as far as how they are handling map updates etc. I have never been a fan of paying for maps after initial purchase and have always enjoyed navigon giving free maps for the life of the product. Now the way it looks - map updates paid for quarterly....unless that is a one time payment then I would be okay with that.

9. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

Go to map manager, it should show the maps available to you.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I have the East Region specific version. Do I get 2.0 because iTunes doesn't give me an update as of right now?

11. JP30 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if this will go on sale and be below $30 maybe around next week for Thanksgiving or even Christmas?? I want to buy Navigon but waiting for a good price

12. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Just shows the maps in the US West version. No Central maps or even a way to buy them.

----------

I have the west and it there is a v2 update I got. However I also bought the central maps in v1 and those are missing in V2. Can't even see where to buy them. If you bought other regions maps you may want to wait to see if this gets sorted out. They do list the in app purchase of other regions for V2 as well so it should be there.

----------

So what is the difference between the "Latest Map Guarentee" and "Navigon FhresMaps XL"?

Latest Map Guarantee:
    Guarantees you the most up-date maps at all times! After installing the app, you will automatically have access to the latest maps from the market leaders NAVTEQ

NAVIGON FreshMaps XL:

Always have the latest maps with NAVIGON FreshMaps XL! Update your device each quarter with the latest map updates from the experts. Your device will be kept right up to date and will not only include changes and additions to the road network, but also a whole load of new special destinations. This increases safety, reduces stress and saves time!

13. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

I don't see where to buy extra maps either. Not sure what to tell you, all my maps showed up under the map manager.

14. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Is yours the US, NA or US Regional version?

15. gillybean macrumors 6502a

If you're just looking for the USA version, it looks like it's on sale at $29.99 right now (down from the $49.99 that it's been for the last 2 months).

Has anyone tried Navigon 2.0? Does it fix all the problems that were going on with the 4s?

16. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

US NA, includes US, Canada, and a bit more.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

My Favorites and Home address are missing off both my iPad and iPhone. How do I find them?

18. CTYankee macrumors 6502

Yes. I have panoramic view and it works now. So too does the voice prompting. It also tells you what side of the street your destination is on BEFORE you actually get there. FINALLY!!!

----------

Tap Map (far left) and the lower left option "My Destinations". Has a neat slider that has your favorites up top and recents below.

----------

Mine has just the West built in, and the others were available as in app purchases. I looked through my purchase history and found out I never did buy Central (travel to TX every so often). However I can't find out how to buy them if I do need them.

If my in app purchases port over to USA version then I'd probably just get that to have all the maps.

19. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

I think you might just buy them from the app store, then you can download them.

20. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Which extras did you buy in addition to the app, and do you think they were worth it?

The current list seems to be:

Traffic $19.99
    FreshMaps $14.99
    Panorama $9.99
    Speedcams $4.99
    Zagat $7.99

21. CTYankee macrumors 6502

They've always been in app purchases and even the description says they are:
    Included map region:
    - Western Part of continental U.S. (AZ, CA, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, OR, UT, WA, WY)

Optional map regions (can be activated through In App Purchase):

- Central part of continental U.S. (AL, AR, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NE, NM, ND, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, WI, WY)
    - Eastern part of continental U.S. (AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IN, KY, MA, ME, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VT, VA, WV)

----------

Traffic is worth it if you live in an area with lots of traffic and ways to get around it (I'm outside LA so its almost an essential).

FreshMaps...not sure what that does that the app doesn't already. The description says the maps stay up to date via Navtech. See my earlier post.

Panorama...nice, but not necessary. I got it for $5. One downside, it is a ~800mb addition. No state by state download of this data.

SPeedcams...got this one too for a few bucks on sale. Nice if you have a lot of red light cameras and such where you are.

Zagat...this one is no longer listed for me. Never bought it. I use Yelp to find things or the build in google search.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's blank and doesn't have any of my Favorites in it. I probably had about 30 saved and now I have 0. How do I find them?

23. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Hmm, FreshMaps seems confusing.

I looked up their press release, and it says "Users can keep their maps accurate and reliable by receiving quarterly updates for a one-time fee. FreshMaps also upgrades the USA or regional versions to the full North America map. NAVIGON’s new Latest Map Guarantee provides customers the latest NAVTEQ map available when purchasing NAVIGON 2.0 for iPhone."

If I want North America I'm not sure if that means I should buy the $39.99 North America version + $15 FreshMaps addition to keep the maps fresh, or whether I'd get essentially the same thing for a $19.99 regional version + $15 FreshMaps addition. :confused:

24. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree here - the whole map distribution system they have come up with has me all :confused: trying to figure out WTH to do. TomTom has mapshare - it will prompt you if someone has updated the maps and ask if you want to download the updates - but theirs is free...this might be what Navigon is doing for the freshmaps at 14.99 - one time fee....

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry to be the n00b, but ... with this update:

- Whether downloaded in iTunes or on the device, the Navigon download is now just the software and no maps

- Users have to re-download all the maps they want (or all the maps they used to have) directly to device, meaning it has to be done over wifi, correct?

I have always updated Navigon from iTunes because it's such a big download, but I have to go somewhere where I have access to Wifi and a reasonably high internet speed when I update, because that's the only way to get maps back on my phone, correct?

Sorry, I just want to be careful that I don't break Navigon unintentionally before I have a way to fix it....