Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
No realtime traffic, gas prices, POI, or weather updates? All this 3G data service, and nothing to grab from the cloud when you're navigating?

Hmm...

I'll pull the trigger no earlier than August 12th, right before the price goes up.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I love Navigon, but $70 is too much for me. I spent that much on my physical GPS unit that is running Navigon...

True. I bought a Navigon 2100 Max [i think], off of ebay for $89. I really like Navigon's UI, and some of their features, but its to bad they closed shop in the US and aren't selling any more GPS's here. However, they have told me that they are going to continue to provide map updates, and support.

I just wish i would of knew about this or else that would of made me run out and switch carriers. but, oh well.

Go BG Falcons! [my Alum]

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Is there currently any Turn-by-turn Text-to-speech navigation app for the US right now? I would love to get it if there is.

The Navigon app looks really awesome by I was really hoping to get one with text-to-speech.

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
B'klyn
"MobileNavigator represents the first full-featured GPS application bearing a single upfront cost to reach North America, beating out the much-anticipated hardware/software combination coming from TomTom."

This is not true. I believe that Sygic was the first to market with full-featured Turn-By-Turn directions. That's not to say that Navigon's and Tom Tom's solutions wont be better. I'm waiting to see which one is the best and then I'll make my move.

~mullet

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
... MobileNavigator represents the first full-featured GPS application bearing a single upfront cost to reach North America...

what about G-Map?? they were the first full featured GPS app when they upgraded to voice turn by turn shortly after the release of the 3.0 firmware. FWIW... G-Map works really well and is cheaper than Navigon (well, same price at Navigon's introductory offer)

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Is there currently any Turn-by-turn Text-to-speech navigation app for the US right now? I would love to get it if there is.

The Navigon app looks really awesome by I was really hoping to get one with text-to-speech.

G-Map has it and is priced at 1/2 this.... even lower for the specific states version.

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
gmaps works great. The article is wrong in saying it is the first full featured gps for north americal. Gmaps has been out for a while.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
No realtime traffic, gas prices, POI, or weather updates? All this 3G data service, and nothing to grab from the cloud when you're navigating?

Hmm...

I'll pull the trigger no earlier than August 12th, right before the price goes up.

Ok, that article does mention traffic in a possible future update, as well as realtime gas prices available now.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
True. I bought a Navigon 2100 Max [i think], off of ebay for $89. I really like Navigon's UI, and some of their features, but its to bad they closed shop in the US and aren't selling any more GPS's here. However, they have told me that they are going to continue to provide map updates, and support.

I just wish i would of knew about this or else that would of made me run out and switch carriers. but, oh well.

Go BG Falcons! [my Alum]
Thanks for the info and yes, go Falcons! ('06 & '08 alum here)

I find it interesting that they include all maps in the download. 1.3GB is pretty hefty. Why not include zero maps and then just choose which states you want to download from within the app? I would typically only need 3 states so it just seems like a waste of space. A map manager would be perfect...

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit of a rip off? Keep in mind they have zero hardware costs, zero packaging costs, zero manufacturing costs, and pretty much zero advertising costs. and who knows the quality of the antenna in the iphone for decent GPS reception. Plus you need to buy a mount to get the same use as a stand alone GPS unit. Before the mount, this costs $100 (assuming you dont buy right away)?! You can get a garmin stand alone for right around or less than that.

Now, Im sure someone here will say "if you dont like it dont buy it." Given this is a forum for opinions, I will go ahead and give mine. I will def not be buying this at this price. Not from Garmin, TomTom, and certainly from a non household name like "Navigon."

Bring the price to something like $30-$40 and I will consider it. Anything above that and I will stick the proven stand alone units, plus my iphones built in gmaps and gps chip for non turn by turn directions in a pinch.

Depending on where you live, or park, some people have to remove or hide their GPS units every time they leave their car. Having it on your iphone saves this problem. Some people, like myself, like the fact that you have everything in one unit, rather than multiple units - cell phone, ipod, pda, and gps unit. Also it is easier to take with you if you are going to use it in friends car or something.
Personally I think the sale price is good value, but I am torn between this and TomTom.

mister_L

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
just to clarify: the european version is already out and works very well! (at least for me)

Country specific map material first for Europe, then "DACH" (Germany, Austria, Switzerland), UK (first step), BeNeLux, Nordics, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy (second step), later on: North America and then Australia.

NotOwning

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
It doesn't say this anywhere, but I'm curious does this integrate with music playing from the phone. The TomTom demo at WWCD said that if you were playing music it would fade out momentarily when there were directions to give. Will this one do the same?

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
The screenshots actually look very nice. I'm tempted but will probably wait for TomTom to release their app.

APG

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

urbanlung said:
Will there be a UK or international version?

Already out. Read the article. It was released "late last month"

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
If TomTom doesn't get their act together by August 15th then I'm going with Navigon.

Interested to see what TomTom's response will be, both in terms of release date and pricing. If they would at least annouce the pricing of the TomTom app in advance, and if it beats this one, then I could justify waiting. I wonder if their strategy all along was to see how the pricing worked out with their competitiors so that they could undercut them.

I doubt that's it - TomTom has been selling their Navigator software for Windows Mobile and Palm OS for a while now, so I suspect they already have a good sense of basic pricing (when I bought TomTom for my Treo, I believe it was also around the $70 range).

As others have noted, the big question will be how they handle map updates - Navigon in particular should be disclosing that up front, rather than giving people the impression that they will get map updates for free for life (given that map updates are part of the lifeblood of these kinds of companies) - unelss they actually won't be charging for map updates, which would be remarkable.

-Zadillo

bigrash

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit of a rip off? Keep in mind they have zero hardware costs, zero packaging costs, zero manufacturing costs, and pretty much zero advertising costs. and who knows the quality of the antenna in the iphone for decent GPS reception. Plus you need to buy a mount to get the same use as a stand alone GPS unit. Before the mount, this costs $100 (assuming you dont buy right away)?! You can get a garmin stand alone for right around or less than that.

Now, Im sure someone here will say "if you dont like it dont buy it." Given this is a forum for opinions, I will go ahead and give mine. I will def not be buying this at this price. Not from Garmin, TomTom, and certainly from a non household name like "Navigon."

Bring the price to something like $30-$40 and I will consider it. Anything above that and I will stick the proven stand alone units, plus my iphones built in gmaps and gps chip for non turn by turn directions in a pinch.

Don't forget the 30% that Apple keeps from all developers.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
They wouldn't just say this to make you buy one of their cradles would they...:eek:

Do the cradles / hardware TomTom proposes to sell in addition to their software for the iPhone add any functionality aside from external speakers, I wonder?

I am tempted to buy the Navigon software ... but probably will wait til a few reviews trickle in. Best to wait and see really - as TomTom's own release is pending and consumers can make informed choices based on differences between the two packages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.