Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Navigon is best of the downloaded maps options.

That said, I prefer MotionX GPS. It's got a cleaner interface, is much leaner, and has excellent directions and routing with traffic considerations. It's really well done. And it's cheap.

Jladd4420

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
well Garmin owns Navigon now, but i have the Garmin street pilot app, voice guidance, lane assist, junction view(which shows the junction sign you need to exit on),traffic,mp3 player access in app and tons of POIs. but I'm a bit biased because i work for Garmin.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I have TomTom. My wife has Navigon. I prefer the user interface of TomTom, but the maps are better on Navigon.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
i chose navigon because i could buy a regional version that was much cheaper and was really all i needed. haven't tried the others so I can't compare them, but navigon has worked great for me. it has lane assistance in that it shows you a picture of the exit and which lane(s) go which way.. i can't for the life of me remember if it tells you to keep left or right. i don't use the traffic feature so I can't comment on that.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I have both Navigon and TomTom. Personally I like TomTom better. I like the interface. Much more refined then Navigon.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Problems with both at the moment....

TomTom cannot perform restore in-app purchases (don't know if you can do any IAP's right now) due to a bug so i cannot get my HD Traffic sub right now which is a pain ... update "in final stages of development" but no date

Navigon doesn't operate in retina level resolutions right now BUT they are also in final stages of developing a massive new update (but will require IAP new maps) which offers their Navigon Flow style interface and looks pretty sweet

I have both ... also finding Navigon is crashing the odd time at the moment but they have commited to a major update so thumbs up for that although when it works, TomTom's traffic and IQ routes are better imho

ron808

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
West Coast, USA
Tomtom does it's job.

It can have music at the background while being used at the same time.

It's easy to use, and user friendly. Even a monkey could use it.

The interface is simple as well.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I'll put in another vote for Navigon. I originally purchased it for an iPhone 3GS, then used it on my 4, and am now using it on my 4S.

The added CPU horsepower and better GPS chip in the 4S really shows when using Navigon. Navigon was a little laggy moving through the menus before, but no longer. And it gets a faster location fix now.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I have CoPilot and Navigon. I prefer Navigon but for the price CoPilot is very good. The premium app for USA is $14.99 and the standard app is $2.99. I don't know what the differences are I bought it when there was only one USA app.

pirarre

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2010
I have Navigan and Motion X. I actually like both. One issue I'm having with Navigon though is that Panorama 3D View isn't working correctly. The maps are completely dark.

Do anyone have a fix for this or know of a fix?

Last edited:

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Also, do any of these options give speed limit info?

Yes. Navigon has the speed limit posted on the screen and has an adjustable "caution" warning if you go too far over it (you set the speed above which it tells you you are going to fast and it is also customizable for city and rural areas).

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I use the TomTom app. It's generally great, but I can't get my traffic subscription working in iOS5. Hopefully they fix that soon.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I really wish Apple would have a "try it" feature for apps or at least expensive apps. I bought the TomTom app the day it came out and it was $99. I am glad it turned out to be a good app. The Garmin one I waited for it to go on sale, since I spent so much on the TomTom one.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
I have both.

Navigon all the way.

The Garmin app is really bad. Sometimes the voice directions don't come on. If you hit a dead spot, your map is gone. It doesn't buffer the map in case you go out of signal area.

GF has the tomtom app. It is really poor, too.

skobbler isn't bad for free.

globality

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I really wish Apple would have a "try it" feature for apps or at least expensive apps. I bought the TomTom app the day it came out and it was $99. I am glad it turned out to be a good app. The Garmin one I waited for it to go on sale, since I spent so much on the TomTom one.
Same feeling here. Right now it is up to app developers to determine whether to provide a lite/free version. Only in Taiwan I think you can return the app and get the refund within sometime. For me I think 24-hour may be enough to try on most apps. Or maybe it is not fair for some games. But for other apps such as expensive navigation apps I really wish to try it out before actually buying it.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am thinking you have to original Garmin app. There is a full version maps edition now.

The Garmin app is really bad. Sometimes the voice directions don't come on. If you hit a dead spot, your map is gone. It doesn't buffer the map in case you go out of signal area.

seventysix

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
One dumb question.
You guys are saying Navigon works with offline maps...

So my question is: If I use Navigon, does my iphone need to use 3G network for anything? I know I need to have a SIM card inside the phone for GPS signal.

But could I put my phone in airplane mode and have Navigon working with offline maps and GPS signal?

thanks

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
One dumb question.

So my question is: If I use Navigon, does my iphone need to use 3G network for anything? I know I need to have a SIM card inside the phone for GPS signal.

But could I put my phone in airplane mode and have Navigon working with offline maps and GPS signal?

thanks

Navigon will use 3G for Google searches and downloading of traffic data, if you have the traffic module installed, but it doesn't need 3G to give you directions. It works completely fine without a data connection.

Airplane mode on the iPhone disables all signals into and out of the phone, including GPS. So that would not work.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
With tomtom, Garmin(the right version), and Navigon. you don't need cell service or internet service. It's basically like owning a stand alone GPS. There is a built in GPS chip in the phone.

One dumb question.

thanks

whatdoiknw

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I've been using Waze, which is free, the past month and have to say it's been pretty good.

as far as "social" crowdsourcing real time traffic congestion, police traps, construction, it can't be beat if there are a lot of users in your city.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.