Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.burris

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Are dells as reliable as macs?

I need a new laptop for photo editing and playing games primarily world of Warcraft on medium.

Can't decide between MacBook Pro 15", dell inspirion or dell xps.
Needs to be under $2600,
12-15 inch
Last at least 3 years without problems.
Play world of Warcraft on medium settings.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Are dells as reliable as macs?

I need a new laptop for photo editing and playing games primarily world of Warcraft on medium.

Can't decide between MacBook Pro 15", dell inspirion or dell xps.
Needs to be under $2600,
12-15 inch
Last at least 3 years without problems.
Play world of Warcraft on medium settings.

Lenovo are more reliable than dells.
If you want to use macOS, get the MBP.
I don't know about how they perform on WoW as I don't play it.
If you want a Windows machine I advice either a Lenovo or a XMG.

j.burris

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Just trying to justify the extra grand. I haven't used a pc for over eight years so don't know how reliable they are to macs.

Last edited:

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Just trying to justify the extra grand. I haven't used a pc for over eight years so don't know how reliable they are to macs.
I am confused, so, you want to buy a MBP or not?
If you want to find an excuse to buy any computer, that's easy. :)

j.burris

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
I need a new laptop. I'm trying to decide between a dell 15 inspirion, dell xps13/15 or a MacBook Pro. It's just the macbook I would get costs $2600 vs less than $1600 for any of the dells. Just don't know are you likely to have issues with a dell? I'm looking for something reliable that will last and won't have breakdowns.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I need a new laptop. I'm trying to decide between a dell 15 inspirion, dell xps13/15 or a MacBook Pro. It's just the macbook I would get costs $2600 vs less than $1600 for any of the dells. Just don't know are you likely to have issues with a dell? I'm looking for something reliable that will last and won't have breakdowns.
And you keep not answering a few simple questions I asked you.
Do you want this laptop just to play WoW? Does the OS not matter to you? No special software that requires one OS over the other?
To play WoW you need a QUAD core CPU under macOS, so you will need to go for a top of the line macbook pro.
The requirements for the Windows version of WoW are MUCH lower, at least according to the official sys requirements.
So yes you can buy a much cheaper Windows laptop. Nothing new up to there.
How long it will last you is up to anyone's guess. Luck plays a role of course. How you treat the machine is also very important.
I don't have any recent experience with Dell systems, but I wouldn't buy one.
As I said I would go for a Lenovo or XMG for Windows based laptops.
If macOS is not something you need or want, then go for one of them. Just don't skimp on the hardware because any updates on the game can easily up the requirements. Also don't go for a mechanical or hybrid drive. You will regret it. Also get at least 16GB of RAM to future proof your computer for the next 3 years. Does the extra cost of RAM and SSD reduce the price difference between the Windows based laptops and the macbook pro? Enough to not be much of a difference, go for the apple computer.
Reliability and breakdowns that are not down to luck or how you treat the machine is up to anyone's guess. I have a compaq laptop from 2002 that still runs. I know people who bought compaq systems the same time with me (other models) and they had nothing but problems with them. The same can be said about any brand.
If you absolutely need to make sure it will be available, no matter what computer you buy, make sure the warranty lasts as long as you need it, perhaps even buy extra coverage.
Apple is good for that, but if the OS and software is not relevant to your needs, you could buy a cheap laptop, good enough to run WoW, that runs Windows and have enough money to spare to buy a second laptop if that breaks down outside the warranty, for the same money a top of the line macbook pro costs.

I wouldn't, but I avoid Windows 10 and the spying that happens from MS like you wouldn't believe so I wouldn't buy a Windows laptop even if it is much cheaper.

It's up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.