Need help! Time to upgrade from mid-2011 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macbuyer2016, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Macbuyer2016 macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I currently have an 11" MacBook Air (mid-2011). My computer isn't quite on its last leg. I use it frequently, and the only issue I have is a warning telling me that my battery needs serviced.

While the performance is still relatively fine (especially after I freed up some MUCH needed space using CleanMyMac), I think it won't be long that there's more serious issues that will occur. Perhaps more importantly, I'm running Citrix frequently to access a Windows desktop and the 11" is not doing the trick anymore. Also, I think I want to set up a home office with a larger screen, keyboard, etc. for the days I need to work from home. It's possible I wouldn't feel the need to have a home desktop setup if I was just able to use a larger screen from time to time, but I'm not sure.

So, what do I buy? I'm obviously intrigued by the 13" MacBook Pro w/ TouchID (less intrigued about the bar), but it's extremely expensive. It's even more expensive when you factor in having to buy a monitor to connect to for my home office set-up. I've thought about just purchasing a Mac Mini, and creating a home office set-up that way and still using my MacBook until it dies, but I find I need my laptop and Citrix most when I'm away from home so I'm not sure how this solves my problems. Particularly as I'll be traveling a lot for work in the next 3 months. I've thought about the 12" MacBook, but I'm not really sure it's worth all of the extra costs I'm going to have purchasing a new laptop with only a slightly larger screen

I'd like your recommendations for what my set-up should be. I'm also looking to upgrade to the AppleWatch 2 in case there are any specials which will help ease my mind about the high price of the MacBook Pro. Similarly, if you do recommend for me to get a MacBook, what screens are great for a low price? Or, should I be looking at an iMac and a cheap Macbook?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Dec 20, 2013
    Austin (supposedly in Texas)
    if you tell people here that you are interested in the newest/shiniest thing, you will get lots of encouragement to buy it. encouragement isn't the same as advice.

the 11" Air, while super portable, is not really document work friendly.
    if all you are really missing is a larger screen, the 13" 2015 Air is worth considering. the Air didn't get a 2016 update but Apple still sells it as new so it will remain on the supported list. and as you are coming from a 2011, this machine will be a big step up in performance and capability.

to save even more money, keep an eye at the Apple Refurb page. there wont always be all the models there, but if you decide what you want, it'll show up soon enough.

and you can just get a keyboard and monitor to plug into your laptop, whichever model you buy. no need for a second computer for home use. and that setup is made much nicer with a stand like this.

if you want to get your battery replaced but don't want to do it yourself, $129 installed from Apple. there are cheaper 3rd party batteries but I've never had one work as well as the Apple part.
  3. Macbuyer2016 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2016
    Thanks so much! I'll take a look at the 13" Air. I'm not thrilled about purchasing a new computer with year old specs, but I guess if I could get it at the Refurb site, that might help ease my mind.

And noted on the newest/shiniest thing...I suspect what I was also looking for was encouragement to spend the money haha

4. macmee Suspended

Dec 13, 2008
    If you were looking to upgrade your Apple laptop or desktop then, in my opinion, you'll find nothing but disappointment with Apple's current offerings.
  5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    Go with the non Touch bar pro it's got everything you want amazing screen future proof ports, it's light and portable with stellar battery life...