Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickMcCandless

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Up to this point, I have been using POP3 for my email accounts, yes I know this is awful, and I need to switch everything to IMAP as well as copy all of my emails over. I started with my Gmail accounts and have noticed that the Inbox and Sent sync, but the trash does not. It's important that I am able to keep tens of thousands of emails from my Gmail account from the past few years in case I need to reference them. When I delete an email to my Gmail account, it goes to Trash in Apple Mail on my drive, but not in Gmail. How can I fix this? Any help is very much appreciated!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Up to this point, I have been using POP3 for my email accounts, yes I know this is awful, and I need to switch everything to IMAP as well as copy all of my emails over. I started with my Gmail accounts and have noticed that the Inbox and Sent sync, but the trash does not. It's important that I am able to keep tens of thousands of emails from my Gmail account from the past few years in case I need to reference them. When I delete an email to my Gmail account, it goes to Trash in Apple Mail on my drive, but not in Gmail. How can I fix this? Any help is very much appreciated!
Unfortunately, Apple Mail.app on macOS doesn't get this right - when you delete a Gmail message it goes to the trash instead of archive, and often gets stuck in the trash. iOS Mail.app doesn't have this issue - it defaults to archiving instead of deleting, which is exactly what you want. I don't know of a workaround besides using a different email app that understands Gmail better.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Unfortunately, Apple Mail.app on macOS doesn't get this right - when you delete a Gmail message it goes to the trash instead of archive, and often gets stuck in the trash. iOS Mail.app doesn't have this issue - it defaults to archiving instead of deleting, which is exactly what you want. I don't know of a workaround besides using a different email app that understands Gmail better.

Are you saying that in Mail in macOS (Sierra) you can no longer designate Gmail's "Trash" folder in the menu item Mailbox>Use This Mailbox As>Trash Mailbox and set the account's "Mailbox Behaviors" to "Store deleted messages on the server"?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Are you saying that in Mail in macOS (Sierra) you can no longer designate Gmail's "Trash" folder in the menu item Mailbox>Use This Mailbox As>Trash Mailbox and set the account's "Mailbox Behaviors" to "Store deleted messages on the server"?
You don't need to designate the Gmail trash folder as "Trash" in Mail, because Mail does that for you. The "Store deleted messages on the server" option seems to be gone completely. To be perfectly honest, I never bothered to look in there after upgrading to Sierra, until you mentioned it. However, doing this doesn't change the default delete action to "Archive", which is what's needed to solve the OP's problem. Mail on macOS simply won't do this for some odd reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.