Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Du273

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
Hi guys, my late 2011 MBP is really slow now. It hardly starts up and I can barely get into activity monitor where it shows the system using 97%CPU. I reset PRAM, I tried diagnostics but they didn’t work, I restarted the computer of course. Not sure what else I can do to fix this issue. It’s bogged right down. Would it be the logic board? Hard drive?

I did unplug the built in trackpad because it was acting up and overriding the external mouse I use. Could that be throwing it off?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! I can’t afford a new one yet, haha.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I did unplug the built in trackpad because it was acting up and overriding the external mouse I use. Could that be throwing it off?"

I don't think that was a good idea.

I suggest you open the MacBook, re-attach the cable, and swap out the internal platter-based hard drive for an SSD.

Things should then run much faster.

One other question (and it's important)
What size is the display?

Du273

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
"I did unplug the built in trackpad because it was acting up and overriding the external mouse I use. Could that be throwing it off?"

I don't think that was a good idea.

I suggest you open the MacBook, re-attach the cable, and swap out the internal platter-based hard drive for an SSD.

Things should then run much faster.

One other question (and it's important)
What size is the display?

It’s a 13 inch display.

Also, I can’t re-attach the trackpad. It got water damaged in the bottom left corner and is now clicking on a ton of things and just erratic. I am not able to do anything on the laptop when it does that. That being said the water could have possibly got to the logic board but I’m not sure how to test that. I think it’s okay because my ports and display still work but who knows. But I have a replacement trackpad on order and will pop that one in there as soon as it comes in.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Water damaged and slow computer usually indicates hardware failure. Something shorting out and causing hardware interrupts. You might call up a shop and see if they can look at it, and what they will charge.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
The trackpad has the TS0P sensor in it. If you unplug the trackpad then it won't work properly. Replace the trackpad/cable with a good one.

Du273

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2018
Water damaged and slow computer usually indicates hardware failure. Something shorting out and causing hardware interrupts. You might call up a shop and see if they can look at it, and what they will charge.
The idea is that I’d like to fix it myself. Hence my asking these questions on this forum.
[doublepost=1521741858][/doublepost]
The trackpad has the TS0P sensor in it. If you unplug the trackpad then it won't work properly. Replace the trackpad/cable with a good one.
Okay thanks! I Didn’t know that. I have one coming in the mail and I’ll pop it in ASAP. Hopefully that’s all it needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.