Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix has been "completely satisfied" with the pace of the password sharing crackdown it initiated in the United States earlier this year, Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said today at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference (via Variety).

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

The streaming company first began eliminating password sharing in in several countries in Latin America in 2022, requiring those who wanted to share subscriptions with people outside of their direct household to pay an additional fee. Password sharing restrictions then expanded to Canada, New Zealand, and some European countries in February 2023, before coming to the U.S., UK, and other countries in May 2023. The tiered rollout gave Netflix time to assess customer reaction. "It was good to take it slow," said Sarandos at today's event. "That's why we didn't do it in one fell swoop."

Netflix allowed password sharing to proliferate for more than a decade before deciding to crack down on it. The change came because in the first quarter of 2022, Netflix lost subscribers for the first time in 10 years and saw a sharp drop in revenue. To boost revenue, Netflix put a stop to password sharing, raised prices, and launched an ad-supported tier.

According to Netflix, an estimated 222 million paying households were sharing with an additional 100 million households that were not being monetized.

Following the password sharing crackdown, Netflix said that it saw strong subscriber growth in countries where password sharing was restricted. Netflix in Q2 2023 added six million subscribers, including more than a million in the U.S. and Canada. Revenue increased in every region where paid sharing was rolled out, and signups ultimately exceeded cancelations. In the third quarter of 2023, Netflix gained 8.8 million new subscribers, up from 2.4 million new subscribers in Q3 2022, plus revenue increased by $64 million.

Netflix subscribers are now only allowed to share accounts with people who live in the same household, with Netflix restricting access based on IP and other location data. "A Netflix account is meant to be shared by people who live together in one household," reads the Netflix website. "People who are not in your household will need to use their own account to watch Netflix."

Along with removing password sharing, Netflix in October raised its prices in the United States. The Basic no-ads plan is now priced at $11.99 per month (a $2 increase), while the Premium plan is $22.99 per month (a $3 increase). Netflix did not change the price of its $6.99 ad-supported tier or its $15.49/month Standard plan.

Article Link: Netflix 'Completely Satisfied' With Pace of Password Sharing Crackdown

• Love
Reactions: JapanApple

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
2023 will go down as the year streaming customers tried to resist and lost, with every major streaming services significantly raising the price and/or reducing the value, all the while trying to screw the writers and actors getting their fair share.
How have customers lost? Anyone who wants to quit can. Anyone who wants to pirate can. And the deal the directors agreed to was a massive loss for them overall.

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
If T-Mobile didn't pay for most of my subscription I would cancel also.
Generally look and don't find anything so wouldn't really miss it.
This 100%. I’d like to see the numbers without all the bundled streaming services and discounted rates subsidized through carriers. I bet they lost way more than the new subscribers number.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
we talked about this with my family on thanksgiving, we are completely satisfied living without Netflix, turns out there is a bunch of streaming services out there.
Yep. We cancelled last month after the price increase. We don’t miss it.

$23 for a 4K plan with a password crackdown was not a good value compared to say Max which is $20 with no password crackdown.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Does the Apple TV app even prompt people to set a primary location? Recently re-subscribed to watch a few things and share it with my family, none of us have seen any “crackdown” but we all use Apple TV. Will cancel soon once I’ve used up the few good new shows which shouldn’t take long.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
If T-Mobile didn't pay for most of my subscription I would cancel also.
Generally look and don't find anything so wouldn't really miss it.
Yes, same here. My wife finds here and there something to watch but I honestly have not care for it and have not watched anything in months. The last time I binged was for last season of The Crown.

Reactions: nt5672 and Timpetus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.