Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckles55

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
Mississippi
I'm old enough to remember when cable tv was still good, then greed took over and they started the bundling packages and the prices got out of control. Now the same has happened to the streaming services, you used to be able to find tv shows and movies on Netflix and Amazon, now those are all moved to whatever studio owns them and has a streaming service. I had Netflix for a few months until I finished watching Dark, other than Seinfeld, there was nothing on there I cared for. I'm probably going to do Prime for a month or two for Christmas shopping and drop it, Amazon massively raised up their shipping rates in order to make people pay for Prime which is ridiculous. Most of the time I just watch Tubi Tv or Pluto Tv, if I'm not watching ticktock or youtube.

Reactions: karranz

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
we talked about this with my family on thanksgiving, we are completely satisfied living without Netflix, turns out there is a bunch of streaming services out there.
Yep, rather than worry about password nonsense, we've been netflix free over a year now. If I hear about something must watch maybe i'll be interested enough to do one month. We're pretty much Prime because of shipping, disney/hulu/espn with old verizon plan, and youtube premium.

Most importantly, itunes or apple subs is limited to just icloud which I would love to also get rid of later but too lazy to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: karranz

Wizard_of_Woz

Suspended
Nov 15, 2023
This sounded good to me so I went to DirecTV's website. The 105+ package (Choice) is listed at $109/mo.
That is what people pay today. I have been with them since inception so I still get the $39.99/mo. deal, which was promised for life back when they launched. Well, technically it is $40/mo. but $39.99 makes me feel like I've gotten a better deal 😂 I've heard some people no longer get the deal, but I still do. It is the by far the best deal in streaming, hands down.
20231205_113750.jpg

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This sounded good to me so I went to DirecTV's website. The 105+ package (Choice) is listed at $109/mo.
Yes those good old monopoly ISP/TV providers normally get $100 to $250 USD per month from USA subscribers. And a lot of the streamed movie content is of limited availability repeating a few times each month along with the overly compressed video quality. ;)

It's not unusual for the same consumers to also subscribe to Disney, Netflix, Max, Paramount to get newer content just because the cable content becomes boring. Eventually if they are smart they cheap out ISP/TV and go more streaming.

jasbur17

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Southern New Jersey
I used to pay for their most expensive plan and share it with my senior citizen parents. They never streamed enough stuff to have their own plan.
Now I pay $7 for my parents to have an account and I don’t have one. I’ll just sign up for a month here or there if I need to watch something.

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
This doesn't make any sense........ How can Netflix "crackdown" on anyone when the app is available and used anywhere (even in motion) on phones and tablets????? What about summer/winter homes of "household" members???

Is the subscription tied to people, devices or what????

Netflix is creating a total mess with this nonsense.....

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
I used to share my mates netfilx, he now dropped his plan to a cheaper one as he doesn't require the other 4k users and I'm now slightly inconvenienced getting the shows in minutes from elsewhere. Glad Netflix sees that as a win.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
So while that “half” of survey respondents might be true, that “half” is a tiny fraction of actual lost revenue. Which again is supported by academic studies.

no, that half says they would buy it. your academic study is talking about the other half.

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Cancelled back in December/January. Best decision ever and have not spent a single minute missing anything on Netflix.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
That is what people pay today. I have been with them since inception so I still get the $39.99/mo. deal, which was promised for life back when they launched. Well, technically it is $40/mo. but $39.99 makes me feel like I've gotten a better deal 😂 I've heard some people no longer get the deal, but I still do. It is the by far the best deal in streaming, hands down. View attachment 2321253
Definitely not intentional. I was with them since that started too and my bill was up to $90 a month by the end (started at $35, I believe). I switched to Youtube TV. Enjoy the error on their part. You got lucky.

Reactions: Wizard_of_Woz

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
How are price increases not losing as a customer?
Because that doesn’t make a comparison to the value and because customers can just quit if the math doesn’t work for them. The lose for the customer is when there’s no content worth the price increase. I would argue Netflix hasn’t been worth it for a long time.

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Because that doesn’t make a comparison to the value and because customers can just quit if the math doesn’t work for them. The lose for the customer is when there’s no content worth the price increase. I would argue Netflix hasn’t been worth it for a long time.

Nothing changed about the product but its price going up. Quitting doesn’t mean its not a loss for the consumer as they’ve literally lost Netflix or more money lol

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Given the cost of going out to dinner, or drinks, I fail to see how the small monthly cost of specific streaming VoD's is that bad for at home entertainment if that is what you like. But then how much do people pay a month for using their phones, which usually provide streaming discounts anyway? ;):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.